.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Grizzly Report - Cubs Reports About School

The girls are doing great. They love it. I have been hearing some very interesting stories, though. One of them came out at bedtime tonight. My older girl talks a lot about the girls she hangs out with - and I noticed that nothing is said about the boys. I got curious tonight and asked if the boys in class ever talk. She said that they never seem to talk to the girls - not even hello. Don't you think that's interesting?

I do. I wonder about it as I compare the homeschooling experience to traditional schooling. The homeschool kids don't do this. The boys talk with the girls and vice-versa. The kids of all ages interact and play together.

I think what makes it even more interesting is that most of the kids in her class have been together in the same class since kindergarten or first grade. Why don't the boys and girls talk to each other? I asked my daughter this question, and then it came out that the boys and girls do not sit together at lunch. It's not a choice. It's a school rule. There is a girls section and a boys section. I then asked the little one if the boys and girls sit seperately at lunch. Yes - they do. I put my finger to my chin and told them that I thought that was interesting...and then looked at them kind of sideways-like.

I'm flabbergasted. Did anyone else ever have this kind of experience in school??

I think it's odd. Very odd. Another example of how socialization at school might not help kids deal with the real world. I'm sure Troll is happy about it - lol. I don't think it's necessarily a good thing, though.

Another thing that they are having a hard time with is the bells. I told them, 'Girls. In school your life is ruled by bells.' There's something else that isn't very 'real-world' like, either. Hmmm? They almost jump out of their skins when the bell rings. Poor things.

6 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

I have to admit I went to public schools all my life and I was run by teachers or bells and they are annoying. I just hope they understand that some places are so different that home. I mean in public schools you sit with who you want and where you want. There is no special place for like 7th graders when eating with 9th graders. Except for the Seniors had a special table in the back of the cafeteria for them but otherwise that was it. Anyway I hope they are making there decisions on how they like school.

29 August, 2008 12:55  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

That separation of boys and girls at the school -- how strange!

I haven't been by this site for a while....Is this a private school?

29 August, 2008 17:44  
Blogger City Troll said...

Tweetey - that's the way it was for us - no separation.

AOW - thanks for visiting. Lots of changes here, and yes the girls have started into private school. The classes are mixed, but they separate them at lunch. The boys have no idea how to talk to the girls - at ALL. It's a very small school and the girls love it so far. It is a big adjustment for all of us. Hope that you are well!!

29 August, 2008 20:36  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Oops. That was me - looks like Troll was logged in on this computer...

29 August, 2008 20:37  
Blogger tshsmom said...

It sounds like the girls are adjusting well despite the weirdness of the situation. ;)

01 September, 2008 13:52  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

It's totally weird - I think any traditional form of education would feel weird to them. lol. They are adjusting and actually really enjoy many aspects of it. So far...

07 September, 2008 22:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home