.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Gratitude

We laid an Aunt to rest today. She died within several months of her cancer diagnosis. This event, along with my middle age changes, has finally impressed upon my mind the certainty of my mortality. I felt quite indestructible until I had my first baby, but that was nothing compared with what I am facing now. We looked around at each other today, and realized with a shock, "We are getting to be the old ones now." There is a host of young ones growing and becoming adults - and we - well we are showing the grays and the lines. What must we look like to them? Pretty soon we'll be the doddering old people who they will be sure to sit together at the same table at the wedding. They'll have some soft food on the menu for us. I am afraid that this feeling is only going to get worse. Time is moving faster and faster.

We were the bad kids not too long ago. The ones the Aunt who just died yelled at for acting like a bunch of asses. Holy Crap.

And my brothers and sisters - which one of us will be putting the others to bed? Who will be the last? How will we face this momentous occasion - the big sleep? When it's breathing down our necks? It's our turn now, to be the ones to send our Mothers and Fathers and Aunts and Uncles safely on their journey. That was THEIR job, but not anymore.

I must remember the gratitude. I must remember to savor every moment with my husband and my children and my friends and family. What a lot of blessings and mostly ignored while I complain about car problems and money is tight. So many people in my life who have been so good to me. Such a beautiful world that I am living in. So much good health and prosperity that we have enjoyed, living in America. I must remember to pass that on. I must remember to stop, think, and understand - to be grateful.

9 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

We are the old ones now yes but some of you have brothers and sisters that you are some what close to. Mine dont even care that much about me so I am alone when that time comes besides my family. When my dad goes some day the kids will put him to rest without me more than likely. when its my mom's turn I will be the only one to do the things. Its sad how it goes. Then I am the only child with my mom so it hits hard.

14 August, 2008 14:25  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

It does hit hard, Tweetey. Kind of scary.

14 August, 2008 15:54  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I understand!
Last year, when my last remaining aunt died, my cousins and I came to the same conclusion. WE'RE the older, and supposedly wiser, leaders of the family now. We TRIED demanding respect from our kids, but they laughed at us. Oh well, their turn is coming. ;)

17 August, 2008 09:43  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Yes - their turn IS coming, and I remember my Aunt saying the exact same thing about 20 years ago. lol.

17 August, 2008 23:47  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Turning fifty put the downhill slide into perspective for me, whoops! My parents (76 and 83) are still active though, and Mom wants a new computer so I am still a child to them..

18 August, 2008 11:39  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

Sorry for your loss Grizzly.

18 August, 2008 18:27  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

DC - 45 seems to have done it to me.

Thank you Mr. GG.

18 August, 2008 23:43  
Blogger Mike's America said...

""We are getting to be the old ones now." "

Well, that's a cherry thought! But so true. Birthdays aren't the fun they used to be anymore.

But there is one thing, despite what the face in the mirror says, I don't feel old. Maybe that's because I refuse to grow up. Not sure, but if that was so, it's a shame the body didn't oblige by doing the same.

21 August, 2008 21:12  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I don't feel old either, Mike. I remember my grandparents saying how they don't feel old, too - and they were, like, 80...

23 August, 2008 00:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home