.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

"Remember That You Are Dust,

and to dust you shall return."



Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent for Roman Catholics. The ashes signify that we are of the earth, and our physical bodies are mortal. They signify humble acceptance of our imperfection. They are a symbol of our wish to be reconciled with God. They are a symbol of our belonging to a community. A reminder that we need to turn away from earthly concerns and turn toward God and contemplate for a moment the importance of larger things. Eternity: 'as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be'.

Lent is a time of giving alms, praying and fasting. It is not a time to call attention to our giving, nor is it a time to eat less in order to lose weight. Sacrifice is a way of acknowledging and honoring the gift given and the pain borne to give it.

May you have a blessed Lenten season.

13 Comments:

Blogger Most Rev. Gregori said...

And a blessed Lenten season to you also.

Just a note: Those of us in the Orthodox Catholic Church start our Lenten season on the Monday before Ash Wednesday. And most of us follow a very strict fast during the entire season of Lent.

07 February, 2008 01:16  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

That's very interesting, Abouna. Thanks for telling me. If you don't mind me asking, do you eliminate certain foods for the entire season, or not eat during daylight hours type of thing? For us - it's mac and cheese on Fridays. If I remember that it's Friday. I try, but I don't do so good some times...

07 February, 2008 01:29  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

PS - I changed it to 'Roman Catholics' in my entry. Is that technically correct? Don't want to glom the Orthodox Catholics in there, as it is different.

07 February, 2008 01:31  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

According to another blogger here in WI it was canceled here... LOL. Just because of a snow storm. I am just catching up with you all because Jeff just went back to work this morning.

07 February, 2008 11:21  
Blogger Toad734 said...

I will be dust one day but I didn't start out that way.

07 February, 2008 17:22  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Tweetey - lol. That's saying something in an area that is used to dealing with snow. Nice to hear from you again.

Toady - actually the elements that our physical being is comprised of ARE the elements of the universe. Dust. Ashes. Stars. Earth.

07 February, 2008 18:03  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Or as the Velaran known as 'Microbrain' called humans: Ugly Bags of Mostly Water. ;-)

07 February, 2008 18:11  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

Nice post Grizzly, a blessed Lent to you and your family as well.

07 February, 2008 19:12  
Blogger Abouna said...

It doesn't really make much of difference to me about adding "Roman" to the word Catholic in your post, but yes there is a big difference.

We have several different fasts during this season such as "Cheese Fare" Week and "Meat Fare" Week. Those of us who members of the clergy or monastics are required to fast from sun up to sun down. We can have water or plain juice during the day, but no food until sun down. We also have a couple of other fasts during the year, such as the Feast of the Theotokos (Mother of God) in August.

07 February, 2008 22:35  
Blogger Abouna said...

Are you familiar with any of the Roman Catholic Byzantine Eastern Rites? They are the closest Rites Roman has to the Orthodox Church, as at one time, they were part of the One Church before the great Schism.

Many of them still follow the Orthodox Fasting schedule. If you ever have the opportunity to attend one of their Liturgies (Mass) please go, I think you would find it most beautiful.

07 February, 2008 22:41  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you Mr. GG.

Abouna - thank you so much for this information. I am not familiar with Byzantine Catholics - only knew one woman who married a Byzantine Catholic guy many, many years ago. She was not Catholic and I suppose he was not practicing, so they were married by some church, maybe UCC. One of the things that I love about my Catholic faith are many of the rituals that I suppose are very, very old. I will try to attend one of the masses that you suggest. I think that you are correct that I would like it.

10 February, 2008 17:17  
Blogger Gayle said...

Is it okay if I Fast and accidently lose weight? ;)

Tweety said they cancelled Ash Wednesday in WI because of a snowstorm? Wow! I'll bet the Lord is duly unimpressed with that one!

12 February, 2008 15:22  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Gayle - LOL. Of course it's okay. I'm not fasting this year. I probably SHOULD be, but I'm not...

12 February, 2008 19:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home