.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

I'm Feeling Invigorated

So much for hibernation. Do you know what I think my problem was? Looking at all those decorations that had to come down, and that Christmas tree dying in the corner of the living room. I think it just made me feel so tired.

It's gone. It's ALL GONE! Wooooo-hooooooo. The needles are vacuumed up and my living room is back to normal. The game room needs to be reconfigured, but that will be done tomorrow.

Today was beautiful - high 60's. Very unseasonable. The girlies and I took all of the outside lights and decorations down. Well - they rode their bikes around and climbed the trees and stuff. Then while they were at CCD I got the inside stuff back into the storage bins. When Troll came roaring in on the Harley from work, he dragged the tree to the curb and hauled all of the decoration storage boxes up to the store room over the kitchen.

I'm making big plans. I've got the girlies signed up for homeschooler swimming stroke improvement class, and archery lessons. We've joined the bell choir at church - yes - even me. (I have to label my arms with color coded masking tape so I don't ring the wrong bells...) I may be playing my new flute as a part of that. They are still in the choir. So we have every frigging day of the week booked up. Yikes. We just want to do everything.

Today the older struggled with Geometric Construction using only a compass and a straight edge. Okay - so I don't remember a damn thing about this from school. So. We had to read the book together and follow the instructions together - and voila! She was off and running, constructing an angle congruent to another angle, bisecting angles, and constructing perpendicular lines. It's actually quite fun and interesting once you get over being overwhelmed by it.

The little one is working on quarter hours in time. A friend of mine remarked a couple of years ago that her niece was not taught how to read an analog clock in school. Terrible, isn't it?

They both got me to work out with Gilad on Fit TV. This man is a maniac - can I share that? I could never be so obsessed with my body - honestly. However - the girls love to work out to his show on TV. Old Grizzly Mama was down there on the floor exercising, too. I also caught myself swimming laps yesterday. Maybe this quitting smoking thing might lead to a pair of lungs that can actually support some physical exertion?

The favorite Christmas present for the girls? They each received (among other things) a Red Ryder BB gun. We have reviewed the safety rules, and continue to follow them - very important. They do not shoot unless I am there supervising. We live in a township that has no problem with shooting in the back yard - so out we went. They're enjoying themselves and improving. But - guess who shattered the shatterblast target on the stake? You got it - Old Grizzly Mama. So - we're all having a lot of fun with the Red Ryders. No one has shot an eye out. Not yet, anyway.

Back to the salt mines. Time to get down and dirty with this election coming up.

13 Comments:

Blogger Abouna said...

Sounds like you are having some fun times. I bought each of my boys a Crossman pellet gun when they were young. All four of them are able to to shoot the butt off a fly at 30 paces. I was very strict when it came to proper gun safety so they all managed to grow up maintaining all the parts they came into the world with and the only holes they have in their bodies are the ones God provided them with.

We had a high of 60 today (Most Unusual for this time of year) so I spent most of the day sitting on my patio with Munchkin. How invigorating that was, at least until i started day dreaming about how much I miss the days when my sons were little. That made me a bit sad.

08 January, 2008 01:50  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Sounds like the Grizzly family is have a blast. Oh sorry for the pun.. LOL.. You will have to take photo's of them shooting and post them.

08 January, 2008 11:38  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Yes Abouna - I am trying to stay aware of how fast it is all going and make the most of every minute. It is still getting away from me, though. Before I know it - it will be my time to sit on the patio and miss the days when the girls were small.

Troll and I are both very strict about gun safety. Not being strict about gun safety is a good way to accidentally kill yourself or others.

Tweetey - that's a good idea! I ought to do an entry with them shooting their weapons. They love archery and target shooting with the air guns. I'll wait until the warm spell lasts a bit longer!

08 January, 2008 11:52  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Glad you're finding your stride! Just remember: it's a hobby. Blogging should be fun and not stressful.

08 January, 2008 14:24  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you Wordsmith! I was in a space where EVERYTHING was stressful. I think I identified the source of the doldrums, though. I'm a new woman since all the Christmas stuff is down and stored and my rooms are back to normal.

08 January, 2008 19:51  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

Archery and BB guns? People better be careful not to piss your girls off.

09 January, 2008 16:11  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Mr. Grey Ghost - they are also not so bad with their karate. lol! In fact, they've had to defend themselves using their karate kicks, punches and blocks back in the old neighborhood. Those bad, bad boys (and girls) learned pretty quick that my girls aren't pushovers - - nor are they shy about standing up to bullies.

09 January, 2008 18:29  
Blogger Ca... said...

Welcome back from your hibernation! I just hope you didn't use up all your reserves whilst hibernating; or have cubs! Now you can replenish the extra weight to get you through the next hibernation. (And it'll be easier than you might think, since you have quit smoking)
You know, when mi espousa (a little Mex lingo there) and I both quit smoking twenty years ago next month, all the bad things that were supposed to happen to us (being nervous, edgy and etc)didn't ever happen, except the weight gain. Bummer! Be careful and good luck.

10 January, 2008 09:51  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks, CA! lol - no new cubs that I can see anywhere around the den. Extra weight though - there's plenty of that. Between Troll and myself we have a few pounds to lose - although I'm not going to get crazy with that just yet. We'll be low-carbing soon.

So far it really hasn't been bad with quitting. I think it helps that nobody I know here smokes. EVERYbody in the old neighborhood smoked while we sat outside watching the block. In fact, it's how we timed things. :-)

10 January, 2008 11:06  
Blogger tshsmom said...

We can shoot our Benjamin pellet gun in our yard too. I've even been known to thin out the grackel flock with it. ;)
A recurve bow and target arrows are on the top of our want list for spring.

10 January, 2008 15:51  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I've always enjoyed target shooting. It's relaxing, isn't it? I can't understand the whacky leftists who think it's so terrible. They need to try it sometime! It might do them some good. lol.

10 January, 2008 20:56  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

What an outstanding Christmas present! I always find that once I get into the post-holiday cleanup and start purging the detritus of the old year I feel a lot better.

11 January, 2008 19:49  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks, DC. The post holiday blah was much worse for me this year. Probably all of the changes we've been through...

12 January, 2008 08:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home