.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Grizzly Project

It was finally time to deal with my last problem window. The stuff has been sitting there, mocking me, for over a month. You may all know of my last project, using Wallpaper for Windows. In a dervish of energy (please note that I use the term 'dervish' with the intent that it means what the American Heritage Dictionary, 2nd definition, tells you) I firmly intended to complete the task. The task, you say?

Ah. The task:



The nasty upstairs bathroom window. Home of the dirty and hated mini-blind with sad valance.

I immediately saw that I had a problem. It is the roll of vinyl - 'Rhapsody' - that caused so much botheration. It was of a size that I could only cut 2 panes, side by side across, and 2 panes up the length. I have 12 panes that need to covered. I would have preferred that the design reflected seamlessly from pane to pane. It was not to be. I had 2 rolls of the stuff and I refuse to buy anymore. We tried several different possibilities. Worked it as hard as we could. Finally it was time to just make the first cut - and to hell with what happens next. Troll came home from work in the middle of it all. Here is what we decided. The bottom six panes would be covered - the top six panes would not. The valance was washed, dried, ironed and installed with the proper curtain rod in that 3 inch rod pocket.



We have convinced ourselves that we would prefer it this way. More light, you know. It is on the 2nd floor, so privacy is assured. When the trees have their leaves outside that window, it will be nice to see them.

It looks beautiful at night from outside - when the light is on in the bathroom. I tried to get a picture of it, but it didn't work well at all:



I also think that the valance looks so much nicer with the proper rod in the wide pocket:



It's a much nicer view from the throne, now. Relaxing. One must be relaxed in order for things to work properly.

We have identified yet another problem window. It's in the vestibule where the coat hooks and boot mats are. It's the last one, I swear! Whoops - actually it isn't. The school room hasn't even been touched. *sigh* I had completely put that out of my mind.

10 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

My girls even liked your work. That is neat stuff though.

22 January, 2008 11:24  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks Tweetey. I am loving this Wallpaper for Windows.

22 January, 2008 11:27  
Blogger tshsmom said...

You're putting me to shame!
I've had new living room drapes for 3 yrs and they still aren't up. I need to alter them slightly and buy some material for a valence. I wasn't about to spend $75/valence, when I can whip one together for $5. Now I just need to start whipping. :(

22 January, 2008 18:29  
Blogger Ca... said...

GM,- check this fellow out. I think you'll like him.

http://bigwhitehat.com/

22 January, 2008 22:09  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Tshsmom, 90% of the battle for me is getting started.

CA - thanks. I used to check his blog regularly, but fell out of the habit. I do like him!

23 January, 2008 09:03  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Yes on the valence - the other treatment was massively froo. ;-)

23 January, 2008 13:10  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Getting started is my problem too. :(

23 January, 2008 15:43  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

I dont think anything was wrong with the old blind, but I'm a guy so what do I know. Great job nonetheless!

23 January, 2008 16:48  
Blogger MamaGeph said...

I think it looks lovely - and the top being left natural looks good.

27 January, 2008 15:12  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks, y'all.

Mr. GG - I just really hate mini-blinds. Hate 'em. Same as I hate wire hangers. The blinds that were here when we rented the house were truly disgusting, old and dirty.

MamaGeph - I'm glad you like the top left clear, too.

28 January, 2008 00:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home