.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Grizzly Project

Okay - so we have a couple of problem windows in the house. The first problem are the 2 front doors. They both have windows and the previous occupant had installed mini blinds on both doors. YUCK! I despise mini-blinds - DESPISE them. These blinds were old and dirty and one was gray, for goodness sakes. The next problem is the breakfast nook. Dark and Dreary. We need some energy in that space. Yet another dirty, musty, stained mini-blind on that window. The 3rd problem, as identified at that time, is the window in the upstairs bath. You guessed it, another nasty, old, dusty, crusty mini-blind and a sad looking valance that should have been installed with a 3" rod and wasn't. This window is right next to the hopper and I don't like sitting on the throne with those dirty slats staring at me.

What is a Grizzly Mama to do?? Why - search the internet for a solution of course! I found a wonderful place called Wallpaper for Windows. I ordered Everleaf etched glass for the two front windows - piece of cake to install and down come the mini-blinds. I ordered Grapevine (clear) for the breakfast nook and Rhapsody (privacy) for the bathroom window.

I installed Grapevine on the breakfast nook today. Quite easy - it's just that I had to measure for each individual pane of glass and make sure that it was centered the way I wanted with the middle grapevine going straight up the middle pane of glass. That required me to start 1 5/16" in from each edge of the roll. I duly calculated and recorded all measurements on the back of my beloved Weekly Standard bill envelope.



I needed to keep this close by throughout the project, because my nerves were bad and I had to verify the measurements constantly. It's crossing the Rubicon, folks, the minute that single edge blade starts cutting.

Here is my work surface. The kitchen floor is protected by a broken down packing box and my straight edge is the Wallpaper for Windows box itself. Don't want to razor up those old planks.



The first cut is the scariest. But it seemed that all was well...



I had to do a bit of trimming once I got the vinyl cling on the window pane itself. Those bad girls have bubbles and wrinkles in them - old glass. That's okay. It's the way I like it. After a slip of the razor blade, I finally discovered that using a straight edge while trimming on the pane makes the prospect of trimming a lot less anxiety provoking. Just like any red-blooded American, I learn from my mistakes.

Here's the beginning: (I forgot to take 'before' pics...)





And here is the end:







This little piece of glass above the door to the garage - which is right next to the breakfast nook - is going to need some work. Gross, isn't it? I'll need to scrape it, clean it and then I have just enough of the grapevine vinyl left to apply a vine going across. I think it will be pretty.





Now, if that doesn't look Grizzly - I don't know what does.

I can hardly wait to get to the bathroom window - now that I know what I'm doing I'll have the girlies do all of the measuring. When it's done, it will be either frightening or beautiful. No matter what, it will slap you in the face when you walk into the room.

Goodbye mini-blinds!! Woooo-hoooo. All of the nasty mini-blinds will be stored in the cubby next to the fireplace. They came with the house and they're staying with the house.

16 Comments:

Blogger Ca... said...

It's strange how sometimes we have in our minds an idea about what another persons home or house would look like; something that just sort of develops in our mind without a conscious effort on our part. Then we get a picture or two of part of the inside of your abode that shows the house next door through a window and the house next door in no way resembles what your house is supposed to look like. (In my minds' eye)Strange, ain't it? 'chuckle'

05 November, 2007 13:20  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

That's the barn & silo out the window, CA. lol!

As I keep telling myself, several times a day, when encountering our new surroundings, "We're not in Philly, anymore!"

05 November, 2007 14:02  
Blogger tshsmom said...

How cool! Your dining room looks so cheery now!

05 November, 2007 16:19  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks tshsmom. We're planning on installing a light in that nook. The pictures just don't have the same oomph as the real thing but you get the idea.

05 November, 2007 21:08  
Blogger Most Rev. Gregori said...

Yup, That thar window looks mighty fine.It sure beats replacing the entire window.

05 November, 2007 21:17  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you Abouna!

06 November, 2007 11:47  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I like that grapevine deal. But I have to say I dont think it would look good in my blue kitchen. And I wouldnt change the color of my kitchen for the life of me.

06 November, 2007 12:38  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

I would want one that looked like a forest of bamboo, like at Akaka Falls. :-)

06 November, 2007 17:46  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Monica,
Beautiful window treatments! I don't have the deocrating touch, but YOU do@

06 November, 2007 19:39  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Tweetey and DC - they have something for EVERYONE! lol.

Thank you AOW. That little nook still isn't complete - but I love the way the window came.

06 November, 2007 23:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Monica! Wanted to come by and say hello and check out your blog.

I hate mini blinds too.

I LOVE the windows! Gorgeous!

07 November, 2007 23:50  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you Karen for dropping in and commenting!

08 November, 2007 00:37  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

Not feeling the pink on the door myself, but that could just be me. The window is really done nice tho.

08 November, 2007 18:51  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

LOL Mr. GG! That is the one room we are forbidden to paint - can you believe it? The kitchen is trimmed in this strange brownish/pink paint and then the walls are painted with an off-white. I can deal with the off-white, but it, too, is in desperate need of a touch up coat. Repainting the trim would be a bear - there is so much of it. But that color really isn't what I would have chosen.

*sigh* What are ya gonna do when renting? All I can do is fix the really yucky stuff and make it as nice as possible for 1 or 2 years. (There are atleast 4 rooms that we will be painting besides the master bedroom that we just completed. They are way worse than the kitchen.)

08 November, 2007 23:00  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I wonder if you could add some lighting feature that would make the pink less pink?

It's not that bad though... at least it's not CODE PINK.

08 November, 2007 23:25  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Mike - you're right that it only looks pinkish in certain light. Most of the time it looks brown - which STILL isn't what I would have chosen, but oh well.

I have replaced that ruffly curtain with a lace valance. TOO CUTE!

09 November, 2007 22:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home