.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

7 Things

I got tagged by NBR, who has recently decided to homeschool her beautiful girls. I am glad for this little prompt, as I have been so overwhelmed by all of the changes in my life that I just cannot seem to write about all of the things going on in the world. There is a LOT going on in the world! LOL. Right now I'm dealing mainly with the rollercoaster emotions of my little ones, who are quite traumatized by the move. They're going to be fine - it's just hard going through this move for them. At times I've felt horrible for putting them through it but hopefully they will learn that they can do this - deal with these changes and deal with them well. We are in a different world out here! Poor little buggers. So - here's what I have to do: Tell you 7 things about me with a little explanation.

1. I have moved in excess of 10 times in my life. I had to figure this out because my youngest at times doesn't believe that she'll survive this. (That's just a bit of a dramatic way to describe her feelings..) Most of my moving was done after I left home at 17. When I was small, the moves were more of an exciting adventure to me. Except when I was in 2nd grade and we moved in the middle of the school year clear across the country and I burst into tears when the teacher introduced me to the class. She gave me a big hug - which I hear they are not allowed to do now.

2. I cross-stitch. Counted cross-stitch. It takes FOREVER to complete one. I can't imagine why I took up this hobby as I am very impatient and oftentimes don't complete other projects that I've started. I have several completed projects framed and on the walls.

3. I wish that Troll and I could take the girls on a round-the-world trip. It would be a great homeschooling exercise, wouldn't it?

4. I am 7th out of 8 kids. When I was 10 I wanted to get married and have 12 babies. Yikes!

5. Troll and I got married after knowing each other 1 week. After many fits and starts we have made it to almost 20 years. January 15th, 2008 will be our 20th. Twenty years goes fast!

6. I am a terrible cook, but a fantastic baker. Troll is a fantastic cook and a terrible baker. It's a good fit.

7. My family of origin all live within, like, 5 miles of each other. I live, like, over a thousand miles from them. I sometimes wonder what happened...

I'm not tagging anyone else. I'm just too TIRED to try to think of anyone right now.

Have a great day everyone!

16 Comments:

Blogger Abouna said...

Sounds like you and Troll are a perfect match. Yes, the cubs will survive. My sons did a lot of moving when they were young; From Vietnam to a refugee camp in Thailand, then to another one in the Philippines, then to the U.S. Once here, they did a lot of moving with me, yet they all survived and turned out fine.

You are right, if a teacher hugs a kid today, they will be brought up on sexual molestation charges.

14 October, 2007 14:36  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...


5. Troll and I got married after knowing each other 1 week. After many fits and starts we have made it to almost 20 years. January 15th, 2008 will be our 20th. Twenty years goes fast!


Wow, that's incredible! How on earth did you guys know? Just one week?! Congratulations! Sometimes, I guess you just know.

15 October, 2007 00:24  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Thanks for getting to this. Great 7 things. Your babies will be fine. Give them time and they will have many new friends as they did in town plus what they left behind. Its a hard move on any kid.

15 October, 2007 11:52  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Moving isn't too bad, it's all the packing that sucks! If you have the patience to cross-stitch you can reload on a single-stage press. #3 - sailboat. :-)

16 October, 2007 15:08  
Blogger Skye said...

What a interesting life, thanks for sharing :)

Also, thanks for the award, Monica. I hope you will have some spare time to visit beautiful downtown West Chester soon!

16 October, 2007 23:01  
Blogger Kate said...

YOu two ROCK! I thought I was the only one (well we got married after 3 months of knowing each other!).

Oh I'm sorry to hear it's been rough with the girls adjusting to Lancaster CO. It's so pretty there. Everything in life takes time. So hopefully sooner than later they will be ok with it. ;)

17 October, 2007 22:23  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Abouna - your sons have survived an awful lot. I am glad that they are in America now and thriving! They turned out fine because you were there to help them, I believe.

Wordsmith - He believes it was love at first sight, I believe that it was temporary insanity. LOL. Maybe a bit of both? It's amazing how many couples we have met with the same story - long lasting marriages, too. Thanks!

Tweetey, it is just so totally different here. Back in the rowhouse, there were about 75 kids on the block - everyone knew everyone else, the kids all played together. It was easy for them but now we have to approach it a bit differently. Things were changing there and not for the better, so we had to leave. They are getting used to playing in a huge yard and climbing trees and running through the corn field. Lots of room outside and also inside the house!

Dirtcrashr - the packing and unpacking are a BEAR. I swear - I'm amazed that my heart didn't give out. That moving day was enough to send me over the edge. But we're here now and very slowly getting things put together. It didn't help that everyone got sick right in the middle of the thing.

Skye - I hope that we can join you in West Chester soon! We were going to try for this week, but it is not to be. I'll be in touch with you when it looks good.

Thanks Kate! Another love story! I love it. Lancaster County is gorgeous - we are just always wanting to explore the area. We are finding some real gems here. The girls are already busy and into several activities and we are starting into a co-op tomorrow. I will be teaching 2nd grade Science, which will be fun!

18 October, 2007 00:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think after a few more weeks of country living the girls will love it there and get over the trauma of moving. It is stressful moving, change is difficult but I think children get over it a lot easier than adults.

Wow, a week? You and the Troll are very special people indeed. The Troll is going to have to change his name from City Troll to Country Troll now though;-)

18 October, 2007 10:08  
Blogger AmPowerBlog said...

Congrats on 20!

And that was good of you to do the meme!

18 October, 2007 18:22  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

Wow! Married after one week! And 20 years later you're still together--that's really amazing (the one week part). You guys should write a book or something.

19 October, 2007 20:31  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I used to cross-stitch on sweatshirts, but our fabric store quit carrying waste canvas. :(

I'm sure the girls will be fine once they get acquainted with the kids in the area. At least they don't have to go through the trauma of being the new kids in school.

19 October, 2007 21:21  
Blogger Mike's America said...

Thank you THANK YOU for not tagging me. Have I said before how much I hate those things?

It's always nice to read other peoples, but I don't like answering them.

P.S. Baked goods... making me hungry!

19 October, 2007 23:17  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Jennifer - thanks. Kids are really resilient and although they may not realize it yet, they will be much better off away from the stuff that was happening on the block. I told Troll he needs to change his name - we both loved that 'Country Troll'. LOL.

Thank you Donald! I'm so glad to have been tagged, it helped me to focus. lol.

Mr. GG - it's amazing how many people have gotten married after a very short period of time. I wouldn't recommend doing it - - but I certainly don't regret it.

Tshsmom - they quit carrying it?? Why? You are right about the girlies, too. They are adjusting far better than I!

I know, Mike! lol.

20 October, 2007 00:41  
Blogger Kate said...

Hopefully they will make some more friends in the co-op and adjust smoother. At least that's what I am hoping for you!!

20 October, 2007 21:30  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you, Kate. I hope so too. It's been strange because I am used to a house full of kids - all their friends were in and out all the time. It will be that way again I am sure.

20 October, 2007 23:48  
Blogger Gina said...

Its been aa while since I havve posted or read your page , its funny how now that I am back in Pa you just moved outa philly , well I am happy for you and good luck out there in Lancaster ...

15 November, 2007 13:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home