.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Scout Night and Haiku

Aaaaaaahhh - these girls of mine. It's amazing what is rattling around inside those bright little heads.

The little one - Sixth Birthday Today!! - decided Tuesday night (the 11th), while playing with the neighborhood kids, that July 12th from now on will be 'Scout Night'. She invited several of the little ladies on the block and planned her menu. Two bags of chips, 2 different kinds of Mondo juice (blue and red), and sticks with which to pretend to make a campfire. Unbeknownst to me, she and another girl arranged with the other girls father to pick up some marshmallows. We shopped at Aldi for the goods (89 cents per 6 pack of Mondo! Doritos and Pretzels bought as well). When we got home several of the ladies were already waiting. We set out the goodies, spread a beach blanket on the lawn ('the lawn' I call it. My 10 ft by 10 ft patch of grass...), and Mum went to sneak a smoke with several of the other mothers. Even though the marshmallows were all gooey and stuck together because of the horrid heat and humidity, Scout Night was a great success.

Speaking of smoking - I am quitting again. I've decided not to actually quit - as 20 or so attempts to do so have failed. I am smoking 4 to 5 smokes p/day and chewing lots of gum. So far my 1st three days I have made the girlies cry twice by hollering at them, and I screamed at an ignorant customer down at the neighborhood store. I wish there was a magic wand I could wave. I have made many mistakes in my life and for all but one (smoking) I have no regrets.

The older one went to a Haiku workshop at the library the other week. Here is the result of her labor.

Numero Uno:

Green, bright and pretty
Just like my eyes green and bright
Twinkle, sparkle green.

Numero Dos:

Miss Kitty my cat
Sometimes she can be a brat
And she says, 'Don't pat'.

She was sitting on the couch the other day and spat out another Haiku creation and damn if I forgot to write it down. It was awesome though! Maybe she will remember it. I sure hope so.

12 Comments:

Blogger Always On Watch said...

Writing haiku is learning therapy and an excellent mental exercise. Young children often produce outstanding examples of this image-intense form of poetry.

13 July, 2006 07:38  
Blogger Alison said...

Happy Birthday to your little one..and good luck with giving up smoking. I managed eventually but do still smoke the odd one every now and again. Not sure if thats bad or not (but i enjoy it when i do). Like a little luxury or reward you savour it!

13 July, 2006 08:31  
Blogger Dionne said...

Yes, Happy Birthday to your little one as well. She sounds like my 8 yr. old daughter, always coming up with creative little parties of her own.

And good luck on quitting the smoking. Bad habits are sooooooo hard to break. It sucks!!

Although I had to smile and the thought of you yelling at someone at the store :-).

13 July, 2006 12:37  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks all. AOW - it was one of those things that was best left in someone else's hands. I jumped at the opportunity presented at the library. I have a strange mental block about writing haiku - - and I was so pleased with her writings once I got out of the way!

Alison - thanks for the birthday wishes and encouragement. I hope that I can continue with this limited amount of smoking. So far so good. I can't seem to quit completely and every time I have tried it's been really awful mentally knowing that I'll NEVER BE ABLE TO SMOKE A CIGARETTE EVER AGAIN - AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH. :-D

Thanks LMC. They're funny aren't they? I love to see what they're able to come up with. I'm not feeling nearly as irritable as I was a couple of days ago. I just get so tired of these young punks with their attitudes and their cell phone constantly clapped to their ears and talking like they have marbles in their mouths. And doing that at the counter at a store - I just couldn't handle it! I lost it. Stupid asses. Dang. They have no idea how to conduct themselves in a civilized world, do they?! They - at the very least - are going to need to know how to speak and communicate clearly. They can't even do that! Okay - I'm going off again. Breathe and chew some very strong minty gum...

13 July, 2006 23:33  
Blogger Gayle said...

Okay AOW and LMC! Where have you two been hiding this bloggress at, hunh? She's wonderful!

Your Haiku writing child is delightful. Happy Birthday to her and her green, bright, pretty twinkly and sparkly eyes. I love that!

14 July, 2006 00:18  
Blogger Alison said...

I think the only way i cracked it was to tell myself what I do when im on a diet - you can enjoy the odd luxury every so often. Then it didnt seem so final! And seems to work.

14 July, 2006 12:43  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Gayle - you are too kind! Thank you and you shall be on my sidebar as well.

Alison - I think that may be the key for me. I truly enjoy smoking a cigarette at times. I smoked so many in a day that it got to the point many times that they annoyed me, I didn't enjoy many of them and in fact I can't even remember lighting them up half the time. Very annoying plus my breathing at night was being affected. 4 or 5 a day will do me good. Well - better than 20 or 30 a day.

15 July, 2006 00:08  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Rasta I made it 5 months with the patch. The first 3 months I was fine. I have tried everything except hypnosis. I am glad that you were able to quit. I made it 5 months with nicotine gum too. Again at first I was fine - it was the long term that I couldn't deal with. Two of my sisters quit about a decade ago and they are still chewing that nicotine gum! Their lungs are thanking them though.

I am glad that you enjoyed the haiku. I really liked what she came up with. They are always accomplishing things beyond my wildest imagination. I enjoy sitting back and allowing them to go where their imagination takes them. I am always surprised and pleased.

16 July, 2006 00:16  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I'm sorry to see that we share the same vice.
The only times I've successfully quit is when I'm pregnant.

17 July, 2006 23:34  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I did pretty well when I was pregnant too tshsmom. I have been quitting for 20 years now. It's a nasty addiction and one that I do not want to see my girls struggle with. Hopefully they see how much Troll and I struggle with it and realize that it's a bad choice. (Troll has gone cold turkey - he's doing great!)

17 July, 2006 23:54  
Blogger BobG said...

Good luck kicking the tobacco habit. I had a heart attack a year ago, quit cold turkey and haven't touched tobacco since, and that was after 35 years. Personally, I think that is the best way; tapering off is merely a way to stall quitting as long as possible. I also had to lose weight, so had to diet at the same time.

25 July, 2006 14:17  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Wow Bob. I stand in awe of you for quitting smoking AND eating a healthy diet.

Every time I have quit - it is the long haul that gets me. I've quit for say, 5 months, and it progressively becomes harder and harder not to smoke the longer I go without a cigarette. It seems that it works opposite for me than it does for most people.

I'm still holding steady at about 5-6 smokes per day. I am breathing much more easily and hope that I can just maintain it.

You're doing great Bob - congratulations on quitting.

27 July, 2006 00:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home