.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Aesop's Fable Friday

The girlies picked for us today. The 9 y/old picked:

The Birds, the Beasts, and the Bat

The Birds were at war with the Beasts, and many battles were fought with varying success on either side.

The Bat did not throw his lot definitely with either party, but when things went well for the Birds he was found fighting in their ranks; when, on the other hand, the Beasts got the upper hand, he was to be found among them.

No one paid any attention to him while the war lasted: but when it was over, and peace was restored, neither the Birds nor the Beasts would have anything to do with so double-faced a traitor , and so he remains to this day a solitary outcast from both.

Moral of the story: Don't play both sides against the middle.

The 5 y/old picked:

The Flea and the Ox

A Flea once said to an Ox, "How comes it that a big strong fellow like you is content to serve mankind, and do all their hard work for them, while I, who am no bigger than you see, live on their bodies and drink my fill of their blood, and never do a stroke for it all?"

To which the Ox replied, "Men are very kind to me, and so I am grateful to them: they feed and house me well, and every now and then they show their fondness for me by patting my on the head and neck."

"They'd pat me, too," said the Flea, "if I let them: but I take good care they don't, or there would be nothing left of me!"

Moral of the story: One man's pat is another's swat.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike's America said...

I like the moonbat and the beasts best.

23 June, 2006 23:26  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I did too Mike. The Flea one was one of my least favorite of all of the stories we read. Then I started thinking about how a 5 y/old would look at the story. Nothing about treachery or viciousness - just a comparison of how a pat on the Oxen's head would actually be quite serious for the Flea. She was very amused by the story.

23 June, 2006 23:39  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I believe it's called personalization, Rasta. Oftentimes in storytelling animals are given human traits in order to illustrate a point. Don't be afraid. ;-)

25 June, 2006 13:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home