.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Great Blizzard of '09



As seen at Weather.com:

Crippling snowstorm Mid-Atlantic to Northeast
James Wilson, Lead Meteorologist, The Weather Channel
Dec. 19, 2009 6:07 am ET
The powerful Gulf Low that brought flooding rains to Georgia, South Carolina, and severe and life threatening flooding, (12 to 18 inches) from Hollywood, Florida to Miami has redeveloped along the Carolinas. This new massive Atlantic storm will continue to strengthen today and bring dangerous heavy snow and even white-out conditions from the Virginias to Washington, DC to Philadelphia to New York City to Southern New England.

A large swath of historic and dangerous December snows of 10 to 15 inches will bury many of the major cities in the Mid-Atlantic to Northeast.

The heaviest snows are forecast for northern Virginia including Washington, DC to Baltimore and Philadelphia where one to two feet of snow is possible.


Just laugh at me now all those who doubted my emergency prepardness nesting intinct. When they start using words like 'massive', 'historic', 'crippling', and 'dangerous' to describe a lil ol' snowstorm, you probably better start thinking about hunkering down. Unfortunately, I will have to hunker at work both nights of the storm. That means plenty of shoveling for me and making sure that the cell phone is charged for my trip into work and back home. Troll and the girls are safely ensconced at Mom-Mom's house. He may be pulling a couple of all-nighters at his job.

On the other hand, we may just end up with a dusting. They just don't know...

Right now it's a beautiful sight watching the snow come down through the security cameras at work. I just love snow!!

'I'm dreaming of a White Christmas.'

Monica

Link

10 Comments:

Blogger AmPowerBlog said...

I'm not laughing. You're smart to have the emergency kit. It's sunny and nice out in Southern California today, but if we had a 7-plus earthquake lots of folks wouldn't be prepared.

And thanks for visiting my blog. If I'm not back to comment before then, have a Merry Christmas!

19 December, 2009 11:26  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

You weren't one of the naysayers, Donald - lol. I took a lot off guff over on my favorite limey blog and even a couple of New Yorkers joined in.

Thank you for the Christmas wishes, and I hope that you and your family have a wonderful holiday!

19 December, 2009 19:14  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I'm assuming that you have emergency supplies in the car too? ;p

How much snow did your area get?

21 December, 2009 19:57  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

My sister lives in Philly so I know they got hit hard by the snow. Still good to see people who can appreciate the white stuff, hey we were all kids once.

22 December, 2009 18:42  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Hi tshsmom - I have a few things in the car - but I'd like to get that a little more fleshed out. A couple extra more blankets and maybe a few boxes of water and some high energy bars. We only got about 8 inches here in Lancaster County. It was a nice snow and I only had to put the truck in 4WD once in an unplowed parking lot. That 4WD blasted right through - no problem!

Mr. GG - yeah! My friends in the Philadelphia area say they got almost 2 feet!! I love snow and I love to go sledding with the kids. I'm more of a kid now than I ever was as an actual kid! lol

23 December, 2009 10:48  
Blogger Mike's America said...

You got the snow and I got the rain.

I didn't mind the rain but it would be nice to see a good snow!

I remember when I lived in DC years ago and one of these storms hit. It was great. We all went out walking and sledding on Capitol Hill.

Merry Christmas Monica!

23 December, 2009 11:43  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Don't you just LOVE 4WD?!

"Bertha" is supposed to hit us tomorrow thru Saturday. I'm grateful that none of my loved ones are traveling this Christmas.

23 December, 2009 17:05  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I know Mike, I love a good snow too. It's almost like being a kid again getting out there and playing in it. I even like shoveling! lol.

Tshsmom - I didn't think that the 4WD would make that much of a difference, but man - it sure does. I've had to use it a couple more times to get myself out of the driveway since the storm. I see the storm headed your way - we will get rain out of it. I'm glad that noone you know is traveling in it - and I'm especially glad that you got your Christmas plans set the way that you wanted.

Merry Christmas to all!

24 December, 2009 12:58  
Blogger science fiction writer said...

There's a reason I live in South Florida. I went to NY a couple of weeks ago to experience 23 degree weather. NO MAS!

24 December, 2009 14:29  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Hi Rick - thanks for the comment. The older I get the harsher the cold feels. Don't you miss the seasons, though?

Winter has its charms. Settling by the fire and watching the snowflakes fly..

24 December, 2009 19:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home