.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, December 04, 2009

A Grizzly Mama's Christmas List


I'm into Emergency Preparedness this year. While we have lots in the cupboards that could probably last 10 days or so if stretched, I thought that having a little extra stored in the basement wouldn't hurt.

Here in America, it's not outlandish to think that one might have to deal with some sort of emergency at some time in ones life. Blizzards, flooding, hurricanes, power outages - not to mention economic collapse!

A relative of mine had to endure 10 days with no electricity a few years ago after a devastating blizzard and ice storm. That lack of electricity meant no heat, no water(well water with a pump that relies on electric), and unable to get out of the house due to impassable roads for many days.

I know several people who maintain a Bug Out Bag. I don't think that it's overly paranoid to think about survival in the event that an evacuation or shelter-in-place recommendation is made - or if disastrous weather conditions prevent you from leaving your house for a week or more.

With no further ado - I present my list to Santa:

A case of full meal, self heating MRE's. (Meals Ready to Eat.):




















A case of US Coast Guard approved 4.227 oz water pouches:


















5 Person Sanitation/Hygiene Kit:















A magnesium fire starter:





















A flat fold stove with 24 fuel tablets:

















A box of waterproof matches:





















And last but CERTAINLY not least, a couple of extra boxes of ammunition. We already own the kerosene heater with a 5 gallon jug of kero in the shed, along with plenty of flashlights, emergency candles, and a wind-up radio or two.

Santa - I've been a very bad Grizzly Mama - what with all of my criticism of 'Teh One' and my smoking, cussing and eating meat - but I still think that I should have these things! The old adage that we are only four meals away from anarchy seems plausible. Ho-Hum! If you will only leave coal in my stocking, which I admit that I deserve!, then perhaps I can just buy the stuff for about $150.00. (not including the cost of ammo...) Free Shipping!!

16 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

You can never be to safe with the weather.. I hope you get everything on your list.. And now for Santa I just hope Mr Grizzly is listening.. and hopefully no children that can read read this.... LOL...

05 December, 2009 11:58  
Blogger tshsmom said...

LOL, I've got you beat on all of this!

With our area's waterline problems we always keep, at least, 5 gal of water on hand. I recycle bleach jugs for this purpose. Just dump and refill the jugs every couple of months. We also live less than a mile from a huge lake, in case we run out of water. I always keep bleach on hand to sanitize lake water.

We also keep a 5 gal bucket, lined with a garbage bag in the garage for any emergency toilet. Our bucket doesn't have that nice seat though.

We're campers so we have a Coleman stove and lantern. I have 5 gal of white gas, to power them, stashed in the shed in case of prolonged power outages.

We also have a generator and enough gas to run it several days.

Food? My larder is ALWAYS full. We could survive a month on the food we have here.

We also have 6 crank-up flashlights and a crank-up lantern, and tons of candles.

The last time our power was out I realized that we no longer had a battery-powered radio. We do now. ;)

06 December, 2009 09:27  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Tweetey - Santa is shipping the items as we speak! I did forget one thing: a stovetop percolator coffee pot. Wouldn't survive long without my caffeine! Guess I could go hardcore and make cowboy coffee if I had to...

Tshsmom - I'm so glad that you understand! I posted this over at a UK blog where I guest post once in awhile. The limeys thought I was nuts!! They have NO plans for disaster - at all. No idea what to do for heat, food or water if any kind of prolonged disaster struck. They think I'm some sort of survivalist whacko. I'm, like, you have NO idea - lol! Most Americans I know think about this stuff and have a minimum number of items that would be useful in a situation like that. Not to mention that our government recommends have at minimum a 72 hour supply of food and water.

One of my elderly relatives had to survive for over a week with no heat or water in the winter in Maine a couple of years ago. Toilette was an issue to put it nicely. Not something that I would have thought of if I hadn't heard of her experience. She has gallons and gallons of water in her basement now to use in the toilet of the water goes out again. (Which it does when the electric goes out.) There are also a couple of New Yorkers who comment at the UK blog - - no plans whatsoever. I asked them, 'what about heat??!' They're just going to get in a sleeping bag to keep warm. I'm, like, drain the frigging water pipes, k?

07 December, 2009 02:26  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

Now this is funny! But just in case Santa doesn't come through, one word: Ebay.

08 December, 2009 00:14  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Mr GG - I've had several New Yorkers mock me for my emergency preparedness. Not you, too!! lol.

My goodies are being delivered as we speak!

08 December, 2009 22:40  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

we have 16 inches of snow today from a blizzard we just got and i broke my left foot cleaning house. Went to step and slid and fell on it.. it hurts like the dickens.. And of course Jeff has to come home first before getting my prescription..

09 December, 2009 19:42  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Oh Tweetey - I'm so sorry that you got hurt! That's terrible!

I saw on the weather channel that you guys were getting hit pretty hard. I love the snow, but I know that it can be a pain.

I hope that you're feeling better soon!!

10 December, 2009 23:50  
Blogger tshsmom said...

It seems to be city-folk that don't get it. They put way too much faith in public utility systems. Then, when the system fails, they expect someone else to rescue them and take care of them. Us country-folk know better.

11 December, 2009 14:56  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

They TOTALLY don't get it!

13 December, 2009 19:53  
Blogger Peter said...

Did you know that for the cost of a couple-three boxes of ammunition you can get one of those little Lee Loaders, a hand tool for reloading cartridges, a pound of powder, a thousand primers and five hundred cast bullets?

I have, and use, a loading press for I am a sport shooter but I also own a Lee loader or every cartridge I shoot because those things are in a box the size of a paperback book. It might be comforting, someday, to have your own little ammo factory.

14 December, 2009 01:01  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Hi Peter - thanks! We have a friend who has a reloader get up. My husband and I were actually talking about doing it and don't think that I haven't thought of the long term ramifications of NOT having one! LOL. (even though the New Yorkers and Limeys will laugh at me for it..)

I felt a little intimidated by the whole thing, to be honest with you. And then all I could remember is the scene from a 'Little House on the Prairie' book about how her father used to melt lead into forms for bullets in the fireplace for his black powder gun. I thought, 'We must have a way of replenishing our ammo!'

I will look into a Lee Loader. Thank you so much!!

14 December, 2009 23:56  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I need some kind of kit to help me survive another three years of Obama. Do they make one of those?

15 December, 2009 11:51  
Blogger Peter said...

Grizzly Mama, I started using a Lee Loader when I was twelve years old. If you follow the directions you will not hurt yourself.

Well, at least if you are as smart as a twelve year old.

15 December, 2009 23:17  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Mike - valium. That's all I can think of!

Peter - I think if a 12 year old could handle it, then I just might be able to squeak by!

16 December, 2009 00:07  
Blogger AmPowerBlog said...

Good for you, Grizzly Mama!

16 December, 2009 21:04  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks, Donald!

16 December, 2009 23:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home