.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Fear and Loathing in the Workplace

Maybe it's been so many years since I've had to deal with workplace crap - but I definitely don't remember it being quite this bad. I must have been very lucky, either that or time has softened the memories. I have had jobs that I've had to drag myself into with dread and reluctance - - but that was a loooong time ago. I just put one foot in front of the other and endured one day, and sometimes one moment, at a time.

My new workplace seems to be rife with paranoia and back-stabbing. See - this is why I work nights - so I don't have to deal with that crap. Shortly after I started, a pronouncement came from on high: No more swearing in the department, for every shift. Excuse me?? Swearing is a part of the job. It's one of the requirements as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes a well place cuss word directed in just the right way at a machine will kick start it into behaving properly.

The workers started viewing me with a jaundiced eye. I was even asked point-blank if it was me who snuck around to the department head to complain of being offended. I was even asked point-blank(again!) if I were some sort of plant, sent to spy on them. Despite my protestations, things have not been the same since. I will just show up and do my best while I send resumes out for jobs a bit closer to home. Maybe things will improve. Maybe not. All I know is that if I have to spend a great portion of my life locked into a computer room, it must be a workable and halfway pleasant experience. Life is too short, and perhaps this toxic work environment will not improve. There is a long history of nastiness and apparent incompetence there.

13 Comments:

Blogger Abouna said...

Way back when, in days of old when I was in the work force, I saw it all. Many years ago I worked for a printing company that was a union shop which was supposed to operated promotions according to seniority,in spite of the fact that I was paying $3.95 a week in union dues, I could never move up on the press because I would not kiss butt.

When I left there, every place I worked at was the same. The only way to get ahead was by back stabbing and butt kissing. My sons discovered the same thing when they entered the work force.

So what I am trying to say is: "NOTHING HAS CHANGED".

19 March, 2008 23:04  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Abouna - I am SUCH a bad butt kisser. lol! When it comes to someone I loathe at work, about the best I can do is be barely civil. That's why I always liked working nights, there is much less of that on graves. Atleast, I must have been very lucky to have had such great shift partners in the past.

20 March, 2008 08:27  
Blogger Ca... said...

You know, I have run into that sort of thing from time to time. My problem was, I couldn't work slowly at a job that could be done swiftly. The guys called me, Gypo," because I was always in a hurry. (Making plywood)At first they didn't like me much. (at all) But I found that if I just went ahead on and disregarded their comments and badinages, after a while it quit bothering me and we began to get along. In a while the rest of the crew enjoyed working fast and getting the job done.
Most of the time, a smile and a 'Hello' will suffice to keep tensions down.
Sometimes to ask for assistance of some sort from some grouch will soften things up.
Pretend things are fine and they usually will be. Good luck. You'll do fine.

20 March, 2008 13:59  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks CA. That's about all I can do is show up and do the job to the best of my ability. I am still checking for jobs closer to home, though. I'm so tired... :-)

The good news is that the girls have been accepted to the school. They will be in 3th and 7th grades. They wanted to put the older into 6th due to her age, but the assessments showed she was more than ready for 7th.

20 March, 2008 16:27  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

No cursing in the workplace?!? That's like telling people not to jaywalk...just ridiculous.

20 March, 2008 17:12  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I agree, Mr. GG. Crazy - especially in the middle of the frigging night...

21 March, 2008 08:27  
Blogger Skye said...

Monica,

Hello! How are things going with the new house? I know it seems forever since we last spoke, but I was wondering if you would like to chime in on a Blog Talk Radio show this Saturday at 5:30 pm?

Let me know.

21 March, 2008 17:00  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Monica I am sorry to hear things arent going well at all. I have been in places like that and quit before I even found a new job just because I couldnt handle it. I hate when we people start that crap on you or about some one else for that matter. I hope it gets better and you find something you can live with. I know how much your girls are looking forward to going to school this fall and this will help a lot. I have some good news but I wont be able to post about it till tomorrow or Monday the latest...

21 March, 2008 17:04  
Blogger City Troll said...

hang in there sweety

22 March, 2008 22:39  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

I've worked in some weird workplace environments, but none that were like that! Never had a Union job though, and never worked retail...Hang tough and kick asses! Remember your Army training!

24 March, 2008 11:37  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Skye - we have missed you. Things have been crazy and now I have heard that you were assaulted by a peace protester. I will put up a post about it soon.

Tweetey - it sucks and I am ready to just walk out if they start their crap.

DC - lol! But y'know sometimes I get tired of fighting with dickheads. I am just tired and want to have a halfway decent work environment. Doesn't have to be perfect. Just halfway decent...

25 March, 2008 19:59  
Blogger Mike's America said...

Every time I think of getting a normal job again I read these horror stories to remind me why I don't.

Sorry you are having to endure that crap!

30 March, 2008 22:11  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks, Mike. There are a lot of crap work environments out there...

31 March, 2008 00:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home