.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Grizzly's Not Getting Any Younger!

I had a fasting blood sugar done - it was 126. Too high. So - I am all kitted up with a brand new blood testing device (FREE! From my doctor...), lancets and test strips. I may now stick myself for blood in many places besides fingertips, and the amount of blood needed is tiny. I had to deal with this when I was pregnant with the girls and controlled it well with diet. My diet has been HORRIBLE for the last couple of years. I just love sugar - love it, love it, LOVE it! I knew the time was coming when I would have to take the bull by the horns and start eating less carbs. I need to lose about 20 pounds, too. Since I've been watching my intake, my after meals blood sugars have been really good.

I found another great article on the political situation that we face. I shall be putting my review of it up soon. I am not allowed access to blogs at my place of work. Harumph! The article contains another very compelling argument for voting for McCain. (as painful as that will be...)

Blessings to all!

6 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

I have to say I am happy right now I didnt have to deal with the diabete while being pregnant with either of the girls. They thought I was with Bri but I just ended up having and ice cream cone to late.. LOL.. But I agree with you and sweets. Oh yummie and Easter is coming up.. Sorry didnt mean to remind you on all the chocolate. How is the job coming along anyway?

14 March, 2008 10:45  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I have so many mixed feelings about growing older and health concerns. I wish I could say I take the matter more seriously.

Having gotten away with being in near perfect health for years I find it hard in my later 40's to really pay attention.

Glad you posted this Monica. Maybe I'll listen... some... maybe... a little anyway.

15 March, 2008 23:38  
Blogger tshsmom said...

My Dad is diabetic, so that ups my chances of developing it. :(

With diabetes, knowledge is power. I know that you are sucking up all the information you need to keep healthy.

16 March, 2008 07:20  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I'm so glad that you didn't have to deal with that, Tweetey. Let me tell you - I know all the holidays that involve candy and every season has atleast one. lol. The job is going along, but I think that I must have been spoiled in many past jobs, and had several really great managers. There are a lot of crappy workplaces out there in the world. Happily, we are free to end that contract at any time we see fit. It's only been a few weeks so I will give it some more time. Although I did get a line on another great job so I've sent the resume out for that and will continue to do so until things are the way that I like them. Thanks so much for asking!

Mike, it really sucks getting older, doesn't it? I have been lucky in health, too and really took it for granted. I've got the reading glasses and now those knees really know when a low pressure system is working its way through. ;-)

Thanks tshsmom. There is a lot of diabetes in my family medical history too. Most of my family who have it deal with it quite well with diet, although my mother can't stop eating that chocolate. I hope that you are getting your fasting bloods checked periodically, as well as that thyroid! I really needed to improve my diet, and this is the perfect opportunity to do that.

16 March, 2008 08:38  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

The thought of being on medication of ANY kind for the rest of my life made me run fast and far from sugar when I was diagnosed as a Type-II pre-Diabetic - I had been drinking way too much Gatorade at all times of day for a couple years, when I wasn't even exercising. I got back to normal.

18 March, 2008 11:17  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I feel the same way, DC. Especially if it is an injectable medication.

My weakness is bread. I could live on bread and real butter...

19 March, 2008 16:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home