.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Debate and Mucilaginous Gruel

First - the Republican Debate on CNN. Here are my impressions - short and sweet:

1. Anderson Cooper. Yuck. What a weenie.

2. Mitt Romney - came across as fake and way too oily.

3. Fred Thompson is the man.

4. It won't kill me to vote for Giuliani in the General Election if that's what it comes down to. (BUT! Go Fred!!)

5. Ron Paul is a complete whack.

6. Gay General is a plant from the Clinton campaign. Good going, CNN.

7. Sucky questions from a lot of stupid college kids. There were a couple of good questions posed by adults, but only a couple.

8. McCain loses my vote AGAIN - except that he never HAD my vote.

9. Wish all of the candidates could have been given the opportunity to answer all questions. Anderson Cooper sucked.

10.I liked Mike Huckabee, but not enough to vote for him. He seems soft and pliable like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

On to the Mucilaginous Gruel. Grizzly Mama brewed some up this evening, as it seems that many in the Sloth are having some stomach problems. I decided to make Slippery Elm Gruel to help with our digestive complaints. I have used this along with other herbs to help overcome bronchitis as well.

It is the inner bark that is used medicinally when it comes to Slippery Elm. According to this, Slippery Elm gruel has been used historically not only for medicinal purposes but also for survival. Of course, legally I cannot make any claims that this herbal will help in any way, shape or form - - but I can guarantee that it won't kill you as I've used it many times. Once the gruel is prepared, I consume a teaspoon or two several times a day for 2 to 3 days in a row. It has a pleasant smell and taste even if it is mucilaginous in texture. We normally don't eat it plain - but add it to whole cooked oats with plenty of pure maple syrup, or in yogurt or applesauce. I cover the gruel and store it in the fridge and use the 3 day rule that I use for pretty much anything that I save in the fridge.

Think slippery/mucous membranes. It's slippery and will help mucous membranes in the body. Lungs, digestive tract.

Here's the play-by-play:


This is what it looks like - very finely ground inner bark.


One teaspoon Slippery Elm to about a cup of water.


Yup. Put it together in a saucepan.


Slowly bring it to a boil. Stir occasionally. I like using a whisk.


Once it starts boiling, reduce heat and simmer stirring constantly. Do this for a couple of minutes.


Then I pour it into this little jug and let it cool. Cover it and store in the fridge. I don't think that you have to cook it. You can just take it, but I think with plenty of water. I like this, though, and it has worked well for us in the past.


Here I've tried to give you the sense of just how mucous-like this concoction is.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! We are going to visit a museum in Lancaster City in the morning. We will be learning about the Amish.

13 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

Intesting stuff. Never heard of it before though. And the Amish are pretty neat people. I have never met one but have seen them while at my sister in laws before she went hay wire. LOL...

29 November, 2007 10:55  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks Tweetey. We regularly see Amish horses and carts in our area. In fact, all of the stores have special sheds where the horses can be parked while they shop.

We learned today that there is an Amish community in Colorado - my state of birth. I never knew that.

29 November, 2007 18:05  
Blogger AmPowerBlog said...

Hi Grizzly Mama!

I don't know about the gruel, but nice analysis of the debate.

I like Huckabee (or should that be I heart Huckabee)!

29 November, 2007 21:58  
Blogger Abouna said...

Grizzly Mama;

I suffer from severe acid reflux and one of my young neighbors, a wonderful Ukrainian boy told his mother about how bad I often got. His mother told him to tell me to boil some Flax seeds which makes a very mucilaginous Gruel very similar to what you make and it works great even though it tastes like heck, so I just add a little honey to it. I use it whenever I run out of my acid reflux medication (Protonix).

I saw some of the so-called debate and thought that CNN was a disgrace and should never be allowed to hold a Republican debate again.

29 November, 2007 23:24  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks Donald! lol. Well - I really, REALLY 'heart' Fred Thompson. Huckabee handled himself well, there is just something about him that makes me cringe. Too much of a decent fella, too nice and soft, or something. I want someone in there who isn't going to take any crap from the looney-tunes in the world. We could do a lot worse than Huckabee though, that is for sure.

Abouna - yes, I have heard that flax seed is a great herbal. Many benefits and uses. In fact I've seen preparations that combine flax seed with slippery elm. I am glad that your neighbor was able to steer you toward it. As for CNN, I am seeing more and more about the questioners that they selected. Most are firmly in the democrat camp - hence the stupid college kid brigade. Troll and I both were astonished and we commented that they are democrats - not republicans - asking most of the questions. Leave it to CNN to pull it off so badly.

30 November, 2007 00:36  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

Monica

Nice rundown. Fred rocked and yeah Mitt didn't look good at all.

30 November, 2007 17:05  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks Mr. GG. Crazy all the plants that CNN put on, isn't it? This was supposed to be instructive to Republicans in making their decision on who to elevate as the prime candidate. Like - we want to hear leftist's questions?

30 November, 2007 19:09  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

5. Ron Paul is a complete whack.

A Paulitical member of the vast whack-wing conspiracy

01 December, 2007 02:52  
Blogger Ca... said...

Go, Fred! ..."mucilaginous," 'ugh'... and don't forget to chew a willow tree limb if you get a headache from all the goings-on! 'chuckle'

01 December, 2007 13:37  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

When you mentioned "mucilaginous gruel" I thought you were referring to all the CNN sock-puppets and planted questions throughout the entire debate-crowd. More than just the gay-General there were a host of other staged, trick questions - it wasn't "a Republican debate" at all.

03 December, 2007 20:26  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Wordsmith - vast Whack-Wing would describe them!

CA I got me a big old willow out in the back yard. I'll go harvest some limbs. It's going to be a looooong year.

Dirtcrashr, mucilaginous gruel=good.

CNN sockpuppets = bad.

CNN is a disgrace.

04 December, 2007 00:09  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I'm sorry but that "mucous-like" gruel looks disgusting.

04 December, 2007 02:01  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

It does look a bit gross Mike, but it really is quite pleasant. lol!

04 December, 2007 23:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home