.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving


Here is our 'Thanksgiving Tree'. The little one brought it home from CCD - which to the non-papists out there is Catholic religious education for those kids not attending Catholic school. I thought it was a great idea, so all of us in our little family wrote what we were thankful for on a paper leaf and hung it on the tree. Troll's leaf is awaiting his arrival. We are in the midst of making the pumpkin pies for dinner tomorrow.



The girls have never made pie-crust before, and it's been a couple of decades since I've done it myself. (Love those Pet-Ritz pie crusts!!) This year we decided to do it ourselves. You can see us working the pastry cutter.



Ohp! Here's that Thanksgiving Tree again!



We can't forget to include a picture of the molasses cookies that we made. The older decided that she wanted to make them. The rolling pin is doing double duty. It hasn't seen this much action in years.



These cookies have a bite to them! The girls thought they were a bit too strong. I liked 'em. They're the old fashioned kind, the kind that burn a bit. Old Grizzly Mama likes the burn - it lets me know that I'm still alive and kicking. Just like that burn with the nicotine lozenges...Hmmm. Makes me want to quit smoking again. (Which Troll and I are doing after the holidays. He wanted to quit at Halloween - I told him, 'No way, Jose.' We both go through a little bit of changes during the holiday season, so we'll just wait until it's over.)



And here they are, just as pretty as can be. Time to go to sleep so that we're rested up for the long drive to Grandma's, and the chowing to begin.

Have a great holiday!

17 Comments:

Blogger Dionne said...

I love the Thanksgiving Tree!! Happy Thanksgiving Monica, Troll and kids!!

22 November, 2007 01:17  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Happy Thanksgiving you guys!

22 November, 2007 01:52  
Blogger tshsmom said...

BRAVO!
Years ago when SME was in Girl Scouts, we were working on earning merit badges. One of the badges involved baking a pie. The recipe in the Girl Scout manual called for store-bought pie crust and canned filling. Not in THIS house!

That day SME learned to make homemade pie crust, and how to peel, core, and slice apples. ;)

BTW, I LOVE your cozy farm kitchen!

22 November, 2007 08:33  
Blogger Skye said...

A Thanksgiving Tree - what a great idea!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Monica.

22 November, 2007 09:38  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Happy Tanksgiving Monica and family!

22 November, 2007 12:47  
Blogger Ca... said...

Yummy! We'll be there in a second!
Happy Thanksgiving!

22 November, 2007 14:58  
Blogger Mike's America said...

The cookies look delicious, as do the pies.

I never heard of a Thanksgiving tree. Does it mean something?

It's nice that you are settled in your new house for the beginning of the holiday season.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

22 November, 2007 19:59  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks Dee - we love the tree, too! Hope that you all have a great Thanksgiving.

Wordsmith - thanks so much and I hope that you have a wonderful celebration!

Tshsmom - lol. You would be horrified to know that I usually use the frozen Pet-Ritz crusts. ;-) Our homemade crusts came out delicious, though. I don't like using the canned filling either and our pumpkin pies are yummy! Hope you had a restful and joyous day.

Thanks Skye - and we hope that you had a happy Thanksgiving, too!

DC - thanks so much and right back at you.

CA - you and your espousa are welcome for dinner anytime! Hope you had a happy one!

Mike - thanks! I had never heard of a Thanksgiving Tree either. I thought it was a pretty cool idea. They gave them a bunch of leaf cutouts and told them to have all family members write what they were thankful for on the leaves - then hang the leaves on the tree. Doing the baking for the holidays has made this feel a bit more like home. I still have some work to do but we're getting there!

22 November, 2007 23:49  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

You know the only time I have ever made a pie is in school. I mean in home economics. Glad the girls had fun though. Its the memories that last forever. Baking with mom. I have no idea how to even start making a pie from scratch so I hope they enjoyed it.

23 November, 2007 11:38  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Oh girl! You'll have to bring the girls over and we'll bake some pies! :-)

24 November, 2007 00:08  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I hope you dont mind apple pie because I cant stand pumpkin pie. But when we get that way in the next few years Yes I will stop by and maybe we can bake a pie together. Jeff still wants to go to Carbondale.

24 November, 2007 11:41  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Well it's just as easy to get to us from Carbondale where we are now - maybe easier because you don't have to deal with the insanity of the Philadelphia metropolitan area.

I haven't done an apple pie since I was a teenager, but the filling isn't hard. It's the crust that takes some hands on practice.

It's a date, then!

24 November, 2007 12:50  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Monica,
FYI

Email me if you like.

24 November, 2007 19:03  
Blogger Kate said...

Yummmy!! They look awesome! I love that Thanksgiving Tree. May have to steal that idea for next year!

24 November, 2007 23:36  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks, AOW. I am sorry that this happened - I emailed you.

Kate - thank you! I loved the idea when I saw it too.

25 November, 2007 19:38  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

Those pies look very yummy, hope your Thanksgiving went well.

27 November, 2007 18:12  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks Mr. GG - it was wonderful. No drunken violence as in days of yore. Just a good time, good food and people whose company I enjoy.

04 December, 2007 00:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home