.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Aesop's Fable Friday

The Crow and the Pitcher


A thirsty Crow found a Pitcher with some water in it, but so little was there that, try as she might, she could not reach it with her beak, and it seemed as though she would die of thirst.

At last she hit upon a clever plan. She began dropping pebbles into the Pitcher, and with each pebble the water rose a little higher until at last it reached the brim, and the knowing bird was able to quench her thirst.

Moral of the story: Necessity is the mother of invention.


OR - as I say to the girls all the time, in the words of 'Gunny Highway' (played by the one and only Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge), Adapt! Improvise! Overcome! They are just sick to death of hearing me holler that!

6 Comments:

Blogger Ca... said...

That is quite an observation of the crow. I don't doubt it at all, that it might have happend. I was parked in my truck one time doing my paperwork when a crow picked up a crust of bread from the MacDonalds parking lot just across the street. He tried several times to break the crust by hammering it on the pavement with his beak. After it became obvious that wouldn't work, he flew over to the front of my truck where there was a small pool of water. He dropped the crust in the water and waited about twenty or so seconds, then retrieved the crust and hammered it again on the pavement. This time it broke and he ate it.

30 September, 2006 12:43  
Blogger dcat said...

Yesterday I just bought two dozen roses and I have a pitcher but got marbles in it ;)

Pretty smart birds those crows! I did it for looks :D
(The hell with Feb 14th a girl can get long stem roses cheaper now)

30 September, 2006 16:36  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

CA -we can learn a lot by observing animals and crows are not stupid! :-)

Dcat - I love to have cut flowers around the house. It doesn't have to be a special occasion! I especially love roses.

30 September, 2006 17:37  
Blogger Ca... said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. The Chico-ism links are on the left of my page under, "Chico-isms." I've been reading some of them. It now seems as if someone else wrote them.

30 September, 2006 23:57  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks CA. Chico was one smart puppy. I will check them out.

02 October, 2006 00:02  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I'm not a fan of crows. They are always coming in a pack and attacking the nice birds. I'd shoot em if I could.

Anyway, why didn't the bird just ask another animal to help him pour the water into a glass?

05 October, 2006 00:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home