.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Aesop's Fable Friday

The Rose and the Amaranth

A Rose and an Amaranth blossomed side by side in a garden, and the Amaranth said to her neighbor, "How I envy you your beauty and your sweet scent! No wonder you are such a universal favorite."

But the Rose replied with a shade of sadness in her voice, "Ah, my dear friend, I bloom but for a time: my petals soon wither and fall, and then I die. But your flowers never fade, even if they are cut; for they are everlasting."

Moral of the story: The flower in the vase smiles, but it can no longer laugh.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

That's why I don't like cut flowers. I hate watching them die!

15 July, 2006 21:56  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I don't get it.

15 July, 2006 22:54  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I love cut flowers Gayle. I know that means they're dead - but my rose blooms will die even if I don't cut them so I'd like to enjoy them in the house. I know many people who feel the same way you do though. It's always safer to get someone a plant on those special occasions.

Mike I would have thought that a different moral of the story would have been more fitting. Something like how we would be foolish to wish to be something other than what we are. Or that by wishing to be something different we fail to see our own value. Grass is always greener type of thing.

I liked the way the moral of the story was worded in this one. I had never heard it before.

15 July, 2006 23:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home