.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

We've Got Us a Six Foot Chinaman Causing This Ruckus

***UPDATE***

I am sure that everyone is now aware that the shooter in this case was not from China on a student visa as originally reported in the confusion and fog of the unfolding incident. The young man had been in America since the age of 2, which was when his parents immigrated from South Korea. They worked hard and tried to live and give the American dream to their son. It would have been okay, too, if the guy hadn't been plum crazy.

There were moments of heroism to be noted, too. One story describes a young Jewish man who gave his life to save his fellow students by blocking the door so that the shooter could not enter.

Correction - as seen on A Tangled Web,the person who sacrificed his life to save his students was Professor Liviu Librescu - a survivor of the Holocaust. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13. God bless his soul.

***End Of UPDATE***

First may I say that I am horrified - HORRIFIED - by the murders committed in Virginia today. What a nightmare for the students and also for their families. My prayers are with all of them.

A year ago the senior faculty at Virginia Tech were celebrating the fact that a bill was defeated that would have allowed law abiding students and faculty to carry handguns on campus. I really wish that bill hadn't been defeated. Perhaps the death toll would have been much lower. Perhaps it wouldn't have - but I would prefer to take my chances in a place in which my right to defend myself is recognized.

Now - it seems to me that the average citizen's diet in China must be much improved over the last several decades, wouldn't you agree? It's not often that one meets a 6 foot tall male citizen of China, is it? I have observed that the 2nd generation Asians that I know here in America are much larger than their parents - and it is due to a healthy diet throughout childhood.

It will be several days before we know what really happened down there in beautiful Virginia. Soft target - that is what a school is.

Dang. Terrible.

6 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

Monica that is so sad. I was commenting on ZF's blog a little earlier and I had mentioned that I am terrified to send the girls to college when its time. I mean I know I have 12 years before K goes but still its scary. You hear about stuff like this and the shootings with kids having guns in school this past year its terrifyingly scary. I feel for those parents who lost someone in that shooting. Its just plain terrible.

17 April, 2007 08:06  
Blogger Abouna said...

Monica, I know that many are starting once again to hollar for stricter gun gun control laws. But those calling for such laws have it all wrong guns and our right to keep and bear arms is NOT the problem. The problem is the fact that we are losing our capacity to love which is direct result of out-lawing prayer in our schools, the legalization of abortion, and the enactment of "No Fault Divorce". All of this has led to a total disrespect for self, others and for life in general.

17 April, 2007 16:12  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Tweetey - it really is a horrifyingly sad situation. All of those promising young lives - just snuffed out for no good reason. The students who lived will be affected by this for the rest of their lives, too.

Abouna - I agree that the 2nd amendment is not the cause of this act of multiple murder by what appears to be a madman. The anti-freedom voices started using it to advance their agenda almost immediately. When I read the young man's history, I started to wonder what his family life might have been like. It appears that his mother and father are still together - they came to America for a future and a better life I am sure. They certainly provided that opportunity for their son. I guess some people - geez. I don't know. He was plum crazy, it looks like...

17 April, 2007 23:10  
Blogger Skye said...

It is interesting to note the difference in reactions from two generations. Young people today are taught to not fight back, appeasement is the best strategy. Abouna has touched on this subject with his comment above.

Would there have been as many deaths if the students fought back? Especially when this lunatic was reloading????


--------------------------------
the person who sacrificed his life to save his students was Professor Liviu Librescu - a survivor of the Holocaust. "

22 April, 2007 22:47  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

I'm sickened by the media's smug, and false, repeated playing of his insane diatribe as though we could "learn" from it - NOT! Stupid bastards.
Also we MUST stop with the "passivity-as-virtue" thing that is beihng broadcast as well, and the enshrined, honoring, and high status of Victimhood. It is much better to not be a victim, that's the reality.

23 April, 2007 11:52  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Skye and DC - I have noticed this passivity play out several times in the past couple of years. Every time it was an old man who stood up to do something about it. Every time there were young people standing there watching and not doing anything. They didn't know WHAT to do, obviously.

We've been taught that when in a situation where we are being victimized, cooperation will probably save our lives. I've heard it many a time, especially in being advised about what is an appropriate way to respond to an attempted rape - and also the going wisdom if on a plane being hi-jacked was to cooperate.

I believe this is wrong. It is a fine thing to stand against being victimized. It is something that we can learn from the old men.

As for Cho - he was angry and felt that he was justified in doing what he did. It was everyone else's fault - of course. Then his family whining about how he never got help for his autism - - excuse me?? In America, in the public school system, where everyone has some sort of label with some sort of medication to go along with it? Oh, Bah! I'm sick of Cho and I'm disgusted with the lefty-weenieism.

25 April, 2007 00:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home