.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Unschooling

My mother sent me a newspaper clipping last week. It was an article titled, Homeschoolers Content to Take Children's Lead. It is written by Susan Saulny. It's very interesting, however I have to wonder what it is that people unfamiliar with the concept of unschooling might come away with after reading it.

Ms. Saulny starts off on the wrong foot slam-bang in the first paragraph with this: "One recent afternoon, time passed loudly, and without order or lessons, in their home..."

First off, the time may have seemed to pass 'loudly' for Ms. Saulny, but for those of us with young children in the house it probably wasn't that bad. In fact - it sounds normal when you are dealing with 4 kids. I have noticed that we mothers are able to tune out the 'loudly' part of raising children - - but the 'loudly' part of it does not go unnoticed by those not initiated in the art of spending time with young'uns.

Second off, 'without order'. What may seems to be 'without order' to Ms. Saulny, again, sounds quite orderly to me. The 4 y/old has a box over his head, the 7 y/old is playing with the baby. The 9 y/old is reading aloud. Everything's under control!

Third off, 'no lessons'. I disagree. The 9 y/old is reading aloud to the younger ones about medieval warrior women. Great subject - and the kids will adore it! What do any of us know about medieval warrior women? Nothing? I thought so.

She then goes on to provide the estimated number of homeschooled children in the US as 1.1 million nationwide.

According to The National Home Educators Research Institute, that number is closer to 2 million for school year 2005-2006.

In the same paragraph she calls unschooling the 'most extreme application' of homeschooling.

Here's the deal with homeschooling. On the spectrum of style of homeschooling - you run from unschooling (no formal curriculum, real-world instruction on the subjects that most interest the child) to what some would consider a very rigid, curriculum based 'school at home'. Just for your information, over the (almost) 6 years that I have been teaching my children at home, I have gradually moved from a very nervous, rigid teacher-mom to a more relaxed, 'yes we need to get x-amount of instruction in but let's take some extra time on this since you are enjoying it so much' type of mom. I went from doubting my ability - and quite frankly doubting my children's abilities - to knowing that we are doing great, they are doing great, we don't need the 'experts' to advise or supervise us. My focus is on academic excellence. Every family has their own priorities. Some believe that being a good Christian is the primary goal, others believe most in their children's creativity and focus on not stifling that. I have also come under fire from homeschoolers who have a different philosophy than I have . I'm a 'live and let live' kinda gal. I'm open to others having a different priority than my own. So. Anyway - onward and upward.

I am a little disappointed that Ms. Saulny uses Luis Huerta as her professional expert for her article. Luis Huerta is a professor at Teacher's College of Columbia University and co-author of a paper entitled 'School Choice: Abundant Hopes, Scarce Evidence of Results.' *warning - pdf*

Oh dear. Oh dear, dear, dear. Apparently, neither Mr. Huerta nor Ms. Saulny are aware of numerous studies done on homeschool students and charter school students. Here are links to a few - *sigh*. (I'm very annoyed about having to provide this information when it is out there for any journalist or professor at a Teacher's College to find themselves. Anyhoo - here goes.)


From NHERI there is this:
An overview of the research that has been conducted on homeschoolers academic performance and socialization.

Academic Performance:
* The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests.

* Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income.

* Whether homeschool parents were ever certified teachers is not related to their children’s academic achievement.

* Degree of state control and regulation of homeschooling is not related to academic achievement.

* Home-educated students typically score above average on the SAT and ACT tests that colleges consider for admissions.

* Homeschool students are increasingly being actively recruited by colleges.

Social, Emotional and Psychological Development:
* The home-educated are doing well, typically above average, on measures of social, emotional, and psychological development. Research measures include peer interaction, self-concept, leadership skills, family cohesion, participation in community service, and self-esteem.

* Homeschool students are regularly engaged in social and educational activities outside their homes and with people other than their nuclear-family members. They are commonly involved in activities such as field trips, scouting, 4-H, political drives, church ministry, sports teams, and community volunteer work.

On 'Socialization':
A Great Reason Not to Go to School.

On Charter Schools:
Performance of California Charter Schools. *warning - pdf*
The summary of the study goes thus: "Among other things, it showed that charter schools are improving the scores of low-achieving high school students significantly faster than their traditional counterparts. The study also found that the lower overall scores of charter schools are likely due to the type of students enrolling in them, rather than poor teaching. With many charter schools still in their infancy and likely to improve with age, CREDO's study suggests the state should continue supporting these fledgling schools."


Professor Huerta is apparently very concerned about the 'unschooled' children. All studies of homeschoolers - whether unschooling or school at home - show that the homeschooled children are outperforming their peers in public schools in every way. When a study is done, or test scores are compared, the style of homeschooling is not asked for. Therefore Mr. Huerta doesn't know which high achieving homeschooled kid is an unschooler and which is not. Listen. Pennsylvania has one of the most oppressive homeschool laws in the country. The kids are evaluated every year by a professional evaluator, they are tested using state approved tests in several grades, a list of goals has to be submitted to the school district every year, a portfolio of work examples must be kept, days or hours must be documented - we don't know, nor do we care, what philosophy of homeschooling the parents happen to have. They outperform - period. For most unschooling type homeschoolers, tests are taboo. They object to the almighty State's attempt to weedle their slimy little tentacles into their children's mind. I can understand that - and respect it. My belief is different - but I can definitely see their point. Can you?

Ms. Saulny appears to be alarmed that unschooling, which comes 'under the umbrella of home education', is legal in every state.
I repeat - unschooling is a style of homeschooling and it always has been. There is nothing new here. Kids have been unschooled their entire school career, have gone on to college and graduated, and by and large are living as productive members of our society - even marrying and beginning to unschool their little ones. Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states, yes! Even in a highly regulated state such as Pennsylvania, the state does not dictate your day to day operation of your homeschool. If the kids are being educated to the state's satisfaction, you're fine.

Here's a quote from the article to get you going:
"Experts assume that the upward trend (of families choosing homeschooling) has continued, and some worry that the general public is unaware of the movement’s laissez-faire approach to learning."

Okay - I started out thinking this journalist was being fairly reasonable in her approach to homeschooling - but that - right up there - just pissed me off. May I please ask the journalist AND the worried 'experts' if they are perhaps worried about the children in public schools who are incapable of outperforming third-world countries in global comparisons? It's not the homeschoolers that you need to be worrying about - it's the kids rotting in the sewer of the teacher's union controlled public school system that need worrying about.

Oohhhhhhhhhh, but nooooooo. These lovers of the status quo, these swine feeding at the federal trough of taxpayer money, will do anything to stop school choice or school reform. 'Education Next', a publication of The Hoover Institution, features a juicy - yet disgusting - little tale of the lengths to which charter school opponents will go in their attempt to prevent you and me and every taxpaying citizen from exercising our parental duty to provide a decent education to our children. Our children - the future of this great Republic. Read the gory details here: Games Charter Opponents Play.

Bah! I'm done.

God bless America. God save the Republic!

33 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

I shared it with the kids. Her take on it as a 12-yr old homeschooler? "Wow, Mom, it seems like she isn't using all the information to form her opinions, but using her opinions to choose what information she shares. Are all journalists like that?"

Quite accurate analysis, even for a homeschooled child. ;)

06 February, 2007 07:11  
Blogger Kate said...

Wow, that sweet 12 year old has fine fine fine insight!
Great post Monica. You lit my fire. I was starting to feel so bogged down by the pesty questions and unwanted opinions I've been getting lately by those I know and complete strangers. I want to blast back but never do. I just kindly smile and answer politely. But I needed a little rev in my engine and this post really boosted me (oh Lord, is that a word?!). It's too early still. Have a great day Homeschooling - no matter how you do it. Let freedom reign. :)

06 February, 2007 09:22  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you Mother Crone! Your daughter is on the ball and what a shame to have to answer her question with a 'yes'. It's really starting to annoy me because the data is out there for anyone who needs to know more. Like a journalist who wants to write a story on, say, homeschooling...You would think she would do a tiny bit of research. Well - I am thinking that Ms. Saulny is a product of the public school system. So am I, though. I tried checking your blog and wasn't able to access. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting.

06 February, 2007 10:59  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Kate - good to see you again. The opinions and comments can get me down, too. I just want to throttle some people sometimes. When I see a newspaper article like this that is disseminating biased and inaccurate information I get so mad. Then to use a professor from a Teacher's College - is the obvious bias completely lost on this journalist? Sounds like he's protecting his job security to me. She couldn't check some of the mountains of research that show the professor to be wrong?

Thanks for commenting - I hope that you and your family are well. Take care!

06 February, 2007 11:05  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Sounds like this jounalist needs more info on her subject. I know a friend of ours home schools her children in MN. they have been doing it since there oldest was in kindergarden. The teacher accused her of cheating with him when they asked him to count to a hundred and she pulled him out right then and there and said no more public schools. I mean K goes to public school but J and I have talked that if it gets to rough out there for her we will pull her out then. But anyway this friend of ours asked me a while back, she said we have been teaching her since she was born. Why would you want to send her to some one else to teach her the rest of the way. I have to agree there. But for now public school is working for her. I mean K. I hope its going ok for you. Take it easy and dont blow a gasket over this. Just some one talking out there butts about somethign they know nothing about like myself.LOL.... Sorry had to say that. I know very little about it and I wouldnt mind checking into it some day. Well thanks for the very informative post. I think we all need a wake up call sometimes and this is one of those times. Tweets.

06 February, 2007 17:18  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Nice rant sister!!
Our style has evolved over time too. We've found that Z does really well in an unschool environment. Unfortunately MN is a bit more stringent than that. Not as bad as PA though, thank God!

We now sort of unschool with a curriculum, if that makes any sense. There's a lot of jumping around from topic to topic, but Z's ADD brain seems to stay on task better this way. Whatever works(and keeps the state happy), is my motto! ;)

06 February, 2007 20:03  
Blogger Cubed © said...

Uhhh...Griz, why don't you tell us what you REALLY think?

"I went from doubting my ability - and quite frankly doubting my children's abilities - to knowing that we are doing great..."

Sigh. I sure wish you could talk to my daughter; she wants to homeschool, but she is so unsure of herself. Well, at least she has some time to think about it, and hopefully she'll relax - my grandson is only two!

BTW, I really do think that the fact that homeschoolers are around so many adults, and not just swirling masses of kids their own age, accounts for their better social skills. It's really tough for a kid to learn the best social skills if the only people he has as a role model are his peers! I mean, except for seeing how adults behave, how would kids learn things like how to handle frustration and disappointment, how to delay gratification with a modicum of grace, how to respond appropriately to rudeness and other problem behaviors, etc. They sure don't have lessons in these kinds of things, and most schoolmates are not the best examples of "how it's done."

Tweetey29:

"Sounds like this jounalist needs more info on her subject..."

You know, Tweetey, it sounds to me as if she's pushing an agenda. I'll bet money that she already has a lot of information about how well homeschoolers do, and it scares her half to death. They (teachers' colleges, teachers' unions, bloated government school administrations etc.) have a vested interest in trivializing their competition.

07 February, 2007 04:39  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I agree with you there. You know I went in to pick up my daughter yesterday and she has a cold in her eye and I am dealing with it at home and her teacher was complaining because it was all red and puffy. I have some over the counter stuff we are using for the time being unless it gets matted shut. But we dont want to home school her right now. Her attention span isnt wide enough yet. But then again maybe that is what she needs. I really dont know and like I said I am just blowing hot air about a subject I know very little about. I hope this gets corrected with this jounalist and she realizes there are many kids out there that are home schooled and do very well in life. I know my husbands cousin was home schooled her last three years of highschool because she started hanging out with kids in long black trench coats. Her parents thought she was going to start using drugs. I mean come on people. Give them a break until you know them a bit first. I am not going to preach. I think you all are doing a great job from what I am hearing and reading OK... NO bad comments from me.

07 February, 2007 08:03  
Blogger City Troll said...

first of all ask any journalist student why they are studying Journalism. They will proudly tell you because "they want to make a difference". A journalists job is to "report facts" that is something they seem never to to be taught in journalism school. As for Huerta he is teaching teachers in other words how to indoctrinate children in Marx and Lenin without revealing what they're doing....

07 February, 2007 23:22  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you Tweetey - I'll try not to blow a gasket. lol. I get so mad, sometimes! Your friend has a good point - we do teach our children every day - every single day.

Cubed! Great to see you again. I tried to be polite about the lady journalist and her expert...but...but..sometimes it just comes out. lol. Teaching my kids at home was the LAST option we explored when it was time to look around. It went from 'no WAY!' to 'let me check this out' to 'maybe we could do it' to 'oh what the hell - let's give it a shot!' The nice thing about it is that you can change if something isn't working, change and try different things and then you hit upon something that works. It's a joy, too, to watch the kids blossom and become excited about learning new things. That's something I didn't expect.

TSHSMOM - you got that right, sister! I can understand jumping around the curriculum - for sure. We also find extras for certain subjects that we throw in there.

Yes Troll. Journalists 'want to change the world' don't they? Thanks hon.

08 February, 2007 00:01  
Blogger Hanley Family said...

Learning is a noisy affair. What goes on in classrooms (in elementary schools anyway)isn't learning. Not if it looks like 25 children sitting quietly and facing the front. I seriously believe young children can either concentrate on sitting still and being quiet OR they can pay attention and learn (which will involve wiggling, giggling and occasional random comments).

08 February, 2007 02:49  
Blogger nightfly said...

I was a journalism major. Were I running such a department, I would ask for a show of hands - "Who's here to change the world?" And I would take every kid that raised their hand and kick them out of the class. Go learn science or art or something that actually DOES change the world if you feel that way.

Daughter Crone's comment warms my heart - you're doing great with her, Mom! She read what was there. Too simple for people who pride themselves on sophistication, not quite realising that sophists aren't good intellectual role models. =)

PS - I'm sick of people worrying whether the state is happy with what they do. We're the sovereigns in this country, dammit, and it's past time that the state began to worry about whether WE'RE happy with THEM.

08 February, 2007 16:17  
Blogger Skye said...

Medieval warrior women?

Jean D'Arc
Queen Elizabeth 1st
Heloise
Veronica Franco

Further back in time:

Bodacea
Ankhesanamun

Excellent choice of reading material for your children, Monica. I'd wager that any public educated student has no idea of the contributions of these remarkable women listed above.

08 February, 2007 21:17  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Dana - yes I agree. Thanks for commenting!

Nightfly - thanks for your comment. You make a very good point about the state. I think we are conditioned to believe that 'the state' is the all-knowing authority. You are right,it is high time we clearly understand our individual sovereignty.

Skye! I just KNEW you would know. lol! I, personally, have never had the pleasure of studying medieval warrior women. Too many gaps in my education - that is for sure. Yet another reason to homeschool...the teacher enjoys learning along with the students. I really must find some books on the women that you mention - it's a must! Thanks.

09 February, 2007 00:17  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

over the (almost) 6 years that I have been teaching my children at home, I have gradually moved from a very nervous, rigid teacher-mom to a more relaxed, 'yes we need to get x-amount of instruction in but let's take some extra time on this since you are enjoying it so much' type of mom.

The teachable moment is so important! Now, as a high-school teacher of groups of homeschoolers, I realize that I must cover certain material. But I'll toss my lesson plan in a second if I see the teachable moment. Never, ever let the teachable moment go by!

Generally speaking, homeschool moms have a better handle on the teachable moment. In part, that insight comes from their being MOMS! They know their children better than any traditional-classroom teacher does.

Even as a traditional-classroom teacher, I absolutely refused to use canned lesson-plans. I am a teacher, and I don't need those boring, lockstep crutches.

09 February, 2007 08:32  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you AOW. There are times that I feel a little guilty for not following 'the plan' as often as I should. I appreciate your advice.

One thing I have thought SO many times is this: Why can't they make learning fun in school? There are many things I've done, especially with science, that all the kids seem to love and could easily be done in a school setting. It's too bad.

09 February, 2007 13:04  
Blogger Dionne said...

I view homeschooling sometimes like magnet schools. You can focus on whatever issue you favor. I make sure we cover the bases but I like to do History unit studies and I have had my kids get involved in some political activities. Some families are musical, artsy, etc... ours is history/government.

09 February, 2007 19:51  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks LMC. The kids love history - so do I. They supposedly 'hate' math, but I noticed that started when some neighborhood kids were spouting that line a couple of years ago. We have lots of fun with science, too. The girls are very smart and eager to learn just about anything.

09 February, 2007 23:55  
Blogger Skye said...

Monica,

You should get to know the lifestory of these remarkable historical women.

Also, there is no way on this green Earth that any of the women I mentioned would support the DNC today.

O/T:

Aish Philadelphia is hosting Alan Dershowitz to speak about the threat of radical islam - duh!

Would you and Troll be interesting in attending this speaking engagement?

Let me know.

10 February, 2007 20:06  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Oh man - I would love to go, but Wednesday the 14th is a no-go. :-( Pat's work schedule is crazy this coming week and the 10 y/old has her PSSA writing test early, early, EARLY the next a.m.

Thanks for thinking of us, though. Hey, are you going to the bloggers convention down in Wash DC in May?

10 February, 2007 22:54  
Blogger Dr. Homeslice said...

You've been added to the union bouquet!

11 February, 2007 08:29  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you Dr. Homeslice. I see the union hack doesn't like my American flags! lol.

11 February, 2007 12:31  
Blogger Ryan said...

Then to use a professor from a Teacher's College - is the obvious bias completely lost on this

The Teacher's College at Columbia University is more than just a teacher's college; they have expertise on all manner of subjects related to the education landscape.

Lest you think they're just boosters for the establishment, recent president Arthur Levine has made serious waves with his proposals on how to disassemble the schools of education across the country.

Were I a reporter, I'd want to talk to someone from Teacher's College as well.

12 February, 2007 14:55  
Blogger Skye said...

Yeah, I'm heading to that convention, Monica!

Are you and Troll confirmed to go?

12 February, 2007 23:08  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Skye - Troll and I want to go, but probably not overnight. We'll drive down and hit happy hour and drive on home. We haven't firmed up childcare or any of that - - but we'd really like to come. Glad to hear you'll be there, too!

Ryan - thank you for your comment. I checked into the esteemed Arthur Levine and I have to say that what I have found in my research on him did not quite pan out the way that you characterized. I must respectfully disagree - - he absolutely is not working to 'disassemble the schools of education across the country.'

You are correct that he is no longer the president of Teacher's College. Pola Rosen, the author of an item about Dr. Levine leaving the college waxes lyrical when he/she says, "Words that he uttered en passant will always linger with me: the danger in our society is not that there are beggars and hungry people on our streets. It’s that we pass them as if they’re invisible." (Little bit of class warfare for you?)

Arthur Levine is now the president of the Woodrow Wilson Foundation in Princeton, NJ. Honey - he is ALL about continuing public education in America - - but it's going to be very, VERY expensive, you see. That would be taxpayer dollars he needs. Education Equity is what he's all about. The poor kids don't get edumucated well at all by those terrible rich people in this country who don't hate the poor kids - - oh no! They just don't even see those poor kids, they're invisible to the nasty rich people.

Here's a wonderful quote from your sainted Arthur Levine, who is going to 'disassemble' the public education system, Ryan. He jumps up, full of energy and impish excitement: "do you know what the number-one issue is facing the schools in the city?" Pause. Silence. "Glasses!" Yes, that's what he said!

Glasses, Ryan. Glasses. He provides a humongous solution to this problem and it's going to take a lot of money to fix this problem, too!

Why do we have an achievement gap? Why have the public schools continued to backslide in spite of the billions of dollars poured into the system over the last several decades? 'Because public schools in cities are now overwhelmingly filled with lower-income children who bring with them numerous problems.' That's your hero Arthur Levine talking, Ryan. Blame the students, the parents, anything but the system. The system that the teacher's unions are fighting tooth and nail to protect, shelling out millions of dollars to protect.

You are wrong, Ryan. Perhaps you are so completely immersed in your leftard thinking that you see Teacher's College as a neutral entity staffed with people who have no bias or self interest to protect. You would be wrong.

13 February, 2007 01:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm sick of people worrying whether the state is happy with what they do. We're the sovereigns in this country, dammit, and it's past time that the state began to worry about whether WE'RE happy with THEM."

YOU GO, NIGHTFLY! Hey, how does this sound: NIGHTFLY FOR PRESIDENT!

Monica,

You say "I tried to be polite about the lady journalist and her expert..." and I ask, "But WHY?" I guess the answer is that you have a lot more class than I do.

Since we last "spoke" here, my daughter has asked for my help in coaching her, long distance, in homeschooling my grandson. She is going to do just fine, and wonder why she ever doubted herself!

Thanks for telling how your thinking about it evolved. Personally, I think two hours a day of homeschooling are worth a full day at a government school.

skye,

Bodacea; she's my favorite of all time. She almost got Nero to abandon Britain. Gutsy woman! She's a major player in my "hobby novel" (been working on it for about 30 years, no exaggeration; if it ever gets finished - not published, just finished - it'll probably be seven volumes!).

AOW2,

Your comment, "But I'll toss my lesson plan in a second if I see the teachable moment. Never, ever let the teachable moment go by!" is SO IMPORTANT! And the freedom to take advantage of the teachable moment is one of those wonderful things about homeschooling, and it must also be one of the reasons why homeschoolers do so well!

Monicar,

Your question, "One thing I have thought SO many times is this: Why can't they make learning fun in school?" is the question I asked (bleep) years ago, when I was sixteen. "If learning is so much fun," I asked myself, "then why is school such a drag, since learning is the whole point in school?"

Been working on that one for a long time. There's no excuse for it.

13 February, 2007 04:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's "Cubed," not "Ann" (who IS this "Ann" person, anyway?) who posted above.

This is not the first time this has happened, and I don't know why.

Cubed (not Ann)

13 February, 2007 04:43  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Cubed (Ann? That is interesting..) I am happy to hear about your daughter and grandson - very exciting! There is so much information out there but when it comes down to it, it's about responding to your child. She will learn as she goes just like all of us do. The possibilities are endless. I have found that sometimes all it takes is 2 minutes to discuss a new concept(even less sometimes), maybe a couple of activities utilizing their new knowlege, and they're off and running. Sometimes it takes longer depending on the kid and the concept. There have also been times when we've just had to take a break from something for a week or so. At first I was terribly worried about that but I have found that it is okay.

As for being polite, I think I must have been 28 years old before I suddenly realized that there are situations in which one does not have to be polite. Nobody ever told me that! lol. It was quite an epiphany. I was taught to keep my mouth shut and be nice. Catch more flies with honey and all that - - well. I am not trying to catch flies so to heck with that.

I can hardly WAIT to read your book! :-)

13 February, 2007 21:31  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I dug up a text book they are using in California:

http://mikesamerica.blogspot.com/2007/02/anti-war-left-wing-comic-book-approved.html

I wouldn't recommend it for homeschoolers.

13 February, 2007 22:51  
Blogger Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Enjoyed your post.

13 February, 2007 23:26  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Mike, I am speechless after reading the entry at your link.

Where is my 1st grade teacher/blogger Ryan? I want him to see this! I want to know his thoughts on it! Go see, Ryan, and let us know what your thoughts are. I wonder what Dr. Arthur Levine would think of it?

Alasandra - thank you for visiting and commenting!

14 February, 2007 00:39  
Blogger Ryan said...

(sigh)

Do I think that's a very good comic book? No. Let's point out, however, that this is San Francisco that we're talking about, which isn't a very good city.

You dug up interesting things about Levine, but ignored his most recent report, which CBS commented on here. A quote:

"Aspiring teachers emerge from college woefully unprepared for their jobs, according to a study that depicts most teacher education programs as deeply flawed.

The damning review comes from Arthur Levine, former president of Teachers College at Columbia University."

Would you disagree with him on that?

Finally, the "leftard" comment and calling Levine my hero. I followed a link here and made a post--nowhere did I attack or belittle, as you did. If you're comfortable with the tone you've established, fine, but if that's what passes for good discussion I'm happy to not come back.

Best wishes.

14 February, 2007 14:17  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Ryan - I am so glad you came back. Thank you.

Listen, that's a nice quote from Arthur. I don't disagree that most teachers are hardly qualified to pass a basic test, much less be entrusted with our children. Is that all you've got, though? Please convince me, because what I found on the man did not impress me at all. He's very much a typical arrogant, willfully ignorant, leftist who believes he knows better. His solutions to the problem involve more government interference and WAY more government money - ie: my money - to finance what I view as his silly schemes. It's more of the same silly schemes over the last couple of decades that HAVE NOT WORKED.

I just assumed from your comments and your admiration of him that you were in the same league. Hence the leftard comment. Am I wrong?

Dr. Arthur Levine is nothing to write home about. He is very much a part of the problem.

14 February, 2007 15:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home