.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Nervous Nellie

Cub 1 - slapping ruler against the palm of her hand....

Mama - Stop now. It's making me nervous.

Cub 2 - Why does a ruler make you nervous?

Cub 1 - Yeah? Why?

Mama - It just does. I'm a Nervous Nellie. Tons of things make me nervous.

Cub 1 - Does a sink make you nervous?

Mama - Yes. Very.

Cub 2 - A SINK? Why would that make you nervous?

Mama - Oh gosh - I don't know. Maybe because it's either running too fast or running too slow. Draining too fast or draining to slow. Too hot or too cold...

Cub 1 - How about a cop? Does that make you nervous?

Mama - Yes! Very! They squeak when they walk - - it's all that leather. And it's a very authoritative uniform they have on.

Cub 2 - A cup squeaks?

Mama - A cup?

Cub 1 - No a cop.

Cub 2 - A cup!

Mama - Cups make me nervous, too.

Cub 2 - Why?

Cub 1 - Not a cup - a cop!

Cub 2 - No. A cup - not a cop.

Mama - Cups. Handles falling off. Chips - and God only knows, if they're made in China, just what kind of crappy material they're using...

Cub 1 - C.O.P.

Cub 2 - No! C.U.P.

Mama - Well, either or - they make me nervous.

Cub 1 - Do shoes make you nervous?

Mama - Oh! Exceedingly nervous!

Cub 2 - Shoes?! Why shoes?

Mama - Ties coming untied, being dragged through mud and God knows what else. Holes in the soles - - and THEN! That smelly trip to the cobbler....

Cub 1 - What's a cobbler?

Cub 2 - A person who repairs shoes.

Mama - Yes and I don't think either one of you has had the pleasure of smelling a cobbler's shop. P.U.!

Cub 2 - My elbow pit itches.

Mama - Elbow pit?

Cub 1 - Hahahahaha.

Cub 2 - Yes. (shows me the inside of her elbow..)

Mama - That's a good one. Elbow pit.

Cub 1 - My leg sleeves are too short.

Mama - Leg Sleeves?

Cub 2 - Hahahahaha.

Cub 1 - Yes. (shows me the length of her pajama pants..)

Mama - You just went through a growth spurt, didn't you? Leg sleeves. That's a good one, too!

13 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

That was a good one. I like that one. I will have to try and remember that one. Did one of your children do this one or is it one of those fables you have been mentioning lately? I have no idea. Never heard of it. N.

25 January, 2007 01:16  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

No - this is no fantasy world, no fantasmagoric (sp?) fiction. It's real life, as per Grizzly Mama!!

:-D

25 January, 2007 01:38  
Blogger Jana said...

This is hilarious!!

My oldest son used to call his pants leg sleeves - I never heard anyone else say that before!

25 January, 2007 11:04  
Blogger Mike Slag said...

Hahaha, great stuff there GM!

I love hearing kids come up with words like leg sleeves and the like, hilarious hilarious stuff!

And I just wanted to thank you once again for coming by my site, your comments are greatly appreciated and also I posted today about the al-Maliki lies that you brought to my attention! Thanks a bunch!

25 January, 2007 12:39  
Blogger MamaGeph said...

"a smelling trip to the cobblers"

It took me a second to figure out that you weren't insulting my best dessert, nor walking through it.

Ha!

I'm going to remember "elbow pit." that is absolutely perfect!

25 January, 2007 20:16  
Blogger tshsmom said...

LOL! My daughter used to have an itchy knee pit.

26 January, 2007 19:57  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

These are funny. I dont remember personnally anything like that but asking my mom wouldnt help because she doesnt remember either. I guess to some parents its not worth remembering the funny stuff us kids say.

26 January, 2007 20:31  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Jana - I had never heard of that before, either. It makes sense when you think about it. When my oldest was really little she called her fingers her 'other thumbs.' lol.

Thanks Mike. I saw your entry on the Maliki stuff - thanks for putting that up. I'm glad you got the link. I couldn't believe how badly they bungled it in the initial reports - - but now that I think of it, it's something they do all the time.

MamaGeph - I love 'elbow pit'. lol! I would never walk on a good cobbler. Too yummy!

tshsmom - it's funny the way kids think. They make me laugh every day. They just crack me up!

tweetey - This conversation just took place last week in my house. My mother remembers little things and still laughs about them from when we were kids. I was 7th out of 8 kids - - so by the time she got to me I think she was pretty much exhausted and doesn't remember much from when I was little. lol! She gets a real kick out of the little ones now, too - she'll sometimes notice things that they do that I don't notice.

26 January, 2007 23:59  
Blogger Alan said...

Monica,

Have you read the children's book Albert's Impossible Toothache? Your girls are probably too old for it now, but it's about a turtle who says he has a toothache even though he has no teeth.

BTW, are you and Troll and Skye gonna hobnob with Charles and Camilla while they're in Philly?

27 January, 2007 08:12  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I've never heard of that book Alan - but I will check it out at the library. Thanks!

As for Charles and Camilla - nope. The Grizzly Sloth prefer to hang out with Tut. lol.

27 January, 2007 22:44  
Blogger Ca... said...

That is a cute post and I can understand it very well since my birthday was yesterday January 27th, the same as that of Lewis Carroll, the author of, "Through the Looking Glass;" of, "The Jabberwocky," i.e., `Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe."
'chuckle'

28 January, 2007 11:30  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Ok. I understand now. My mom does the same thing with the girls actually. I am her only child but my biological dad has five other kids. It must have been interesting growing up with that many brothers and sisters. I didnt know mine until I was fifteen. That is besides the point though. Well again thanks for sharing.

28 January, 2007 15:35  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Happy Birthday, CA!! I have a big brother born on the 27th of January. Oddly enough, I completely understand what Lewis Carroll was trying to say. lol!

Tweetey - I hardly had any mommy-time as a little one. My big sisters were like little mommies to me, though. I got lost in the shuffle quite a bit. It was a crazy upbringing - - I just try to give my kids better as my parents tried to do for me. None of us is perfect that is for sure.

29 January, 2007 01:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home