.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, February 23, 2007

Aesop's Fable Friday

The Fir-tree and the Bramble

A Fir-tree was boasting to a Bramble, and said, somewhat contemptuously, "You poor creature, you are of no use whatever. Now, look at me: I am useful for all sorts of things, particularly when men build houses; they can't do without me then."

But the Bramble replied, "Ah, that's all very well: but you wait until they come with axes and saws to cut you down, and then you'll wish you were a Bramble and not a Fir."

Moral of the story: Better poverty without a care than wealth with its many obligations.

Alright - this moral seems off to me. I like this better:

Don't look down on others, all have their advantages and disadvantages. Or:

Those who believe themselves better end up eating their words. Or:

He who is still around to laugh, laughs best!

Something like that.

6 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

You have no idea how much that moral hits home here with J's work and this one lady. She thinks she better than we are just because she has this brand new home and boat and three cars, and a whole bunch of other stuff and we are stuck in a used home and a decent neighborhood. She gets on J's nerves everyday. I mean she tells everyone "Oh I quit smoking and drinking and when you turn your back shes outside of work having a smoke or when they have there safeety meetings she's drinking up a storm. Then she goes and gets her kids from the babysitters and drives like that. Its scary. But your moral makes more sense than the one the book gives really. Thanks for sharing and stopping by. Tweets.

24 February, 2007 17:41  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Moral of the story: Better poverty without a care than wealth with its many obligations.

Britney Spears can relate, and take something useful away from this. Hello! Britney...are you reading this?

I think she's just a victim of celebrityhood, detaching and unhinging her from reality. But then, I haven't been following.

That said, I like your moral better.

25 February, 2007 00:39  
Blogger Ca... said...

This may be a bit off the track but, there is one I always liked that goes: (in my words) "Before you criticize or condemn the vagabond, try walking a mile in his shoes."

25 February, 2007 10:55  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Ah yes Tweetey. I have known many like the woman your husband deals with. It's too bad that she hinges her worth on material things and lies. I'll pray for her! lol.

Word, Britney's losing it. I wonder if she is struggling with postpartum depression. I hope that she gets some help.

CA - yes. Words to live by. I will look for a fable with that moral.

25 February, 2007 14:22  
Blogger Mike's America said...

If I find a bramble and a fir in my garden I pull the bramble out by the roots and fertilize the fir.

So I don't get this one.

26 February, 2007 22:39  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Hmmm. If you had a choice of wood for building, which would you use? The fir tree or the bramble?

27 February, 2007 00:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home