.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Aesop's Fable Friday

The Dog and the Shadow

A Dog was crossing a plank bridge over a stream with a piece of meat in his mouth, when he happened to see his own reflection in the water.

He thought it was another Dog with a piece of meat twice as big, so he let go his own, and flew at the other Dog to get the larger piece.

But, of course, all that happened was that he got neither: for one was only a Shadow and the other was carried away by the current.

Moral of the Story: If you grasp at the shadow, you may lose the substance.

10 Comments:

Blogger City Troll said...

sounds like a metaphore for the Republican party leadership

17 February, 2007 00:01  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Troll, I am so caught up in the fact that it's a reflection - not a shadow that the dog sees. I can't get past that. lol.

18 February, 2007 01:29  
Blogger The Cassandra Page said...

I have linked to this post as I have always been a fan of Aesop. The new Blogger allows you to create "labels" that will categorize your posts. You can label all of the Aesop posts so that a reader can read them without scrolling through the other posts.

18 February, 2007 17:03  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

I like these fables, tho' this one seems to be based on greed more than anything else to me.

20 February, 2007 00:08  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks Cassandra Page - I haven't had the energy to really explore the new blogger. I did switch finally, I had been avoiding doing that for months. I will be linking you on my sidebar soon - I like your blog.

Mr Grey Ghost - I agree. Sometimes the morals of the fables in the book that I have seem just a little 'off' to me. We've all heard this fable as children - most of us anyway - and it was always a lesson on guarding against being too greedy.

20 February, 2007 00:27  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I have been trying to figure out how to word that and Mr Grey Ghost got it right on exactly what i was thinking. LOL.. I think that is weird when people do that to me. Yes these fables are neat. I dont remember half the ones you post. But they are new to me. Well anyway hope all is well and I always have something to do. Always a chore I have started and really dont want to finish but it has to be done. Tweets.

20 February, 2007 13:30  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Tweetey - there are tons of fables that I had never heard. That's why I like putting them up here.

20 February, 2007 13:38  
Blogger Toad734 said...

So you are saying Bush shouldn't invade Iran??

20 February, 2007 15:44  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I don't think it really applies.

Perhaps the blind man and the wolf cub fable would apply to our situation with Iran. Maybe the one about the injured snake.

Keep thinking about it, though. It's good to get those synapses firing, Toad!

20 February, 2007 16:37  
Blogger Mike's America said...

Do you think we should throw Toadbat off the bridge too? Or just send him off to Iran as a human shield?

24 February, 2007 01:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home