.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Aesop's Fable Friday

The Lion in Love

A Lion fell deeply in love with the daughter of a Cottager and wanted to marry her; but her father was unwilling to give her to so fearsome a husband, and yet didn't want to offend the Lion, so he hit upon the following solution.

He went to the Lion and said, "I think you will make a very good husband for my daughter: but I cannot consent to your union unless you let me pull your teeth and clip your nails, for my daughter is terribly afraid of them."

The Lion was so much in love that he readily agreed that this should be done.

When once, however, he was thus disarmed, the Cottager was afraid of him no longer, but drove him away with his club.

Moral of the story: Misfortune awaits those who love unwisely.

I would like to add that misfortune awaits those who allow themselves to be disarmed!

8 Comments:

Blogger Mike's America said...

I like your moral of the story better.

22 October, 2006 01:36  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Me too! I actually expected that to be THE moral of the story. Foolish me. ;)

22 October, 2006 08:03  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I like it better, too. lol.

Sometimes when I read the Fables the moral of the story seems a bit off somehow. I figured it was just me - - all those years being indoctrinated in the public school leaving me incapable of understanding. lol!

22 October, 2006 12:07  
Blogger atheling2 said...

Sounds like the father was a Muslim.

23 October, 2006 05:01  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

I just sold a scooter that belonged to my sister who had unwisely bought it for a boyfriend, who in short order dumped her - she got it back with 2k run up on the odo. Having no interest herself in the scooter and knowing that I knew bikes, she asked me to sell it for her since she needed the money. Older sisters should be more wise...

23 October, 2006 16:53  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

We have all made our mistakes in love, dirtcrashr. lol. The big question is: has she learned from her mistake? Thankfully she has her little brother to help her out in this situation. ;-)

23 October, 2006 17:46  
Blogger Wolfie said...

Ah, I get it.

Is the Cottager America?

The Lion Iran?

... and the daughter Iraq?

27 October, 2006 12:46  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

It could be Wolfie if you want it to be. I find myself applying these Fables to almost any situation in life.

27 October, 2006 20:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home