.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

We Found a Little Treasure.

She was on the corner of Bartram and Island Ave - right outside the airport. It was pouring with thunder cracking overhead. We were stuck at the red light and the 6 year old said, 'There's a bunny!' Then, 'No! It's a kitten!' The light turned green and as I glanced back to see - sure enough there was a little kitten, soaking wet, seeking shelter under a sign. It's a busy intersection, so I had to keep going. I told the girls that if the kitten was still there after I turned around, we would try to rescue it.

U-turn. Coming back to the intersection - yep. There she is - in that wet grass underneath the real estate 'space available' sign. It's all industrial in there. I pull over to the shoulder and put the hazard lights on. Almost get rear-ended by 2 cars careening around the corner. 'Yo! This isn't a lane, you whack!' yells I. I make the long trek across the green. She sees me coming. She stops and stares at me. Her eyes are question marks - swear to God. I hold my hand out and she comes right up to me. She's purring as I carry her back to the truck. I can hear the girls screaming through the closed windows - they are so excited.

She is grey and striped - just like our Miss Kitty. She has looonnng, skinny legs, a beautiful face with big ears. She has no collar. She's very skinny. We might name her Stormy. The girls also suggested Isabella. I told them sometimes you have to get to know an animal before you know it's name. Right now I just call her 'kitten.

15 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

It sounds like she was sitting there waiting for you to answer the dream. Fate can be a strong force. ;)

23 July, 2006 08:53  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I was thinking the same thing tshsmom. It's been freaky - this whole thing with Miss Kitty and dreams and a new kitten waiting for me on a corner...

23 July, 2006 12:21  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Life is full of surprises, isn't it Rasta?

23 July, 2006 23:38  
Blogger Ca... said...

Our kitty was just like a little girl. She did things no one would expect a cat to do; like covering her eyes when a light was turned on and she was lying on the bed. She is gone now. You can borrow her name if you wish and if it'll fit. It is "Skeeter".

24 July, 2006 09:36  
Blogger Kate said...

FATE. I do believe in fate. I LOVED reading this. I am feeling better for you already. (Although closure on Miss Kitty would be so nice.)

Ya wanna know something - we had a gray cat named Miss Kitty. And I rescued a kitten in college and named her Isabella. Neat, huh?!

24 July, 2006 22:28  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I love the name Skeeter, CA. She reminds me of a Skeeter all long and skinny. I'll put it out there for consideration. Thanks!

Rasta - lol! Yes he sounds like he might have some issues! Poor little guy. Miss Kitty was just mean sometimes - she always was even as a tiny kitten. She wasn't one for lots of affection either. How good of you to rescue him.

Kate - way bizarre about the same names for the kittys! I believe in fate, too. The girls have been trying out 'Izzy' short for Isabella. I don't know though. She's awful sweet and loving. She can't believe her luck I think. The Troll went crazy with the girls at the pet store getting her toys and treats. lol! She is a baby for the girls - they love it and so does she.

24 July, 2006 23:53  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Wow, the time I came across a kitty in poor condition, all it wanted to do was flay me apart with claws and teeth! I guess it's a guy-thing.

25 July, 2006 11:58  
Blogger The Sparky said...

Good story Monica, reminds me of the Good Samaritan! How many cars had passed yet the one with a big heart stops and nearly gets rear ended by other cars!

If you don’t want it airmail it up leaving a few holes in the parcel to breath through and send it to me!LOL, I just discovered another four legged friend that you would have run over! On my pc today when I thought a piece of grey fluff had blown in from the garage door that I have open to get some much needed air here in London. (We’re in the middle of a heat wave) When I looked down it was a mouse, that I chased out. Got to put some poison down now in case it’s under the house, that or get a cat.

26 July, 2006 17:27  
Blogger Kate said...

Ha - we called that little kitty I rescued IzzyB. I think it's a princess name and she's so worthy of it! ;)
Still no signs of Miss Kitty?

26 July, 2006 22:54  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

This is getting stranger and stranger Kate! lol!

No sign of Miss Kitty. If someone didn't take her in, then I am afraid that she has expired. We had a really nasty heat wave over several days last week. I am so sorry for my Miss Kitty.

Little Izzy is a trip though. She was starving and now that she's had several days of food, water and rest she is getting very kittenish! She's awful sweet.

26 July, 2006 23:57  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Sparky - you most definitely need a mouser! Perhaps in your travels you will find a little treasure to take care of those mice. Yuck. I hate mice!! My neighbors had a little mouse problem last year. She said getting the traps with the little dead bodies was the worst...

I think little Izzy is a keeper. :-)

26 July, 2006 23:59  
Blogger Kate said...

Awww - I am still so sad for Miss Kitty... cheer me up and post us a picture of the Little Izzy (or whatever her name is now!). Would love to see her!

28 July, 2006 10:27  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you Skye. That was a heartwarming story about acquiring Satan! lol. (love the name...) They say that the person doesn't pick the cat - the cat picks the person.

30 July, 2006 23:53  
Blogger Cubed © said...

So sorry to hear that there's no news of Miss Kitty, but so very happy that the poor little waif found a good home with you.

11 August, 2006 22:30  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks Cubed. We will never forget Miss Kitty. The poor little waif has gotten her 'kittenness' back into her. She is very curious and quite naughty! She's a sweety.

15 August, 2006 01:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home