.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Crunch Time.

It's here. The last, desperate days of the school year. Yes - you're right - I still have until June 20th to get those hours in. The 4th grader has 250 more hours to log before we reach our mandated goal of 900 hours of instruction time for a year. Phys. Ed. will eat up 20 more allowed hours for that. So - we're looking at 230 hours of instruction time. The music lessons count, too - AND the practice time. There's 4 hours plus practice time.

This winter has been so mild that we didn't experience the usual winter crunch - as I call it. Usually in January and February it's freezing out - so aside from sledding time (hardly any this year) they are stuck inside and we get LOTS of schoolwork done. Not this year. It was so nice - they need their fresh air! The kids on the block are knocking up by 3:00 p.m.

We're doing better this year, actually, than we have in past years. I forced us to do schoolwork during the month of December. In past years we've taken pretty much the entire month off. This week was Easter Spring break for the publics and we did school Monday, Tuesday and today. They will have Thursday and Friday off. Now don't give me any guff, they played outside for hours and hours all three days that we were doing school.

No days off for the Grizzly Mama though. Oh no! Tomorrow we color eggs and then I go to get the taxes done - wooo-hooooo. The up side to the tax appointment is that we'll probably get tons of money back because we hardly made ANYTHING last year. I have no idea how we survived - but we did - - and we seem to every year no matter how hard times are. Then Friday the girlies go to lunch and get their nails done with Auntie. I get to clean - wooooooo-hoooooo. Saturday it's preparations for our big Easter day out in our pretty dresses and flowery hats. I can hardly wait!!

The girls have picked the Aesop's Fable for this Friday - and I will be perusing Cubed's next essay for presentation on Monday night.

Everyone (who is so inclined) have a lovely Easter! We will be eating ham. I just love to eat pig products. Any part of that pig is just fine with me except for those feet. LOL!

12 Comments:

Blogger Always On Watch said...

Virginia is more homeschool-friendly and doesn't have mandated hours of instruction as far as I know. Homeschool students have to take standardized testing, however. The classes I offer earn state-recognized credits for high-schoolers, and my credits are recognized by all the universities here in the state--and elsewhere, too. One of my graduates got into West Point!

Maryland requires review from some kind of county overseer and reviews folders of work. As much as I bleed red ink all over compositions, the Maryland review is no problem.

To commemorate Good Friday, I just put up a student's poem, here.

Good luck with your crunch!

13 April, 2006 06:07  
Blogger C R Mountjoy - GDF said...

It's a shame that home schooling can't lead to home-college education. Why not? Especially in the first two years where most students have to take general ed classes, why not?

13 April, 2006 10:59  
Blogger C R Mountjoy - GDF said...

It's a shame that home schooling can't lead to home-college education. Why not? Especially in the first two years where most students have to take general ed classes, why not?

13 April, 2006 10:59  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

AOW - PA has one of the most restrictive homeschool laws in the country. We can do 180 days or 900 hours for the 4th grade level. I'm doing hours. I will have to rethink that for next year and we may just be changing a whole lot of things for next year. We are able to coop but the primary teacher has to be the parent or legal guardian. Happy to hear about your graduate who got into West Point - fantastic! PA also requires testing periodically and requires an independent evaluator report every year - which is paid for by the parents. Thanks for the link and I will check it out after bedtime!

Geaux Gators - thanks for visiting. In fact I know a couple of HIGH SCHOOL homeschoolers who are taking college classes at the community college. Many high schoolers do that. By the time they are done with high school they are well on their way to accumulating college credits. As far as college education goes - it is opening up to homeschoolers very nicely. By the time the girlies are old enough who knows what their options will be? We were having a discussion on another homeschooler blog about college education. It is not for everyone and most homeschoolers don't place a lot of value on a college degree. It's not the diplomas that matter - it is the well rounded eduation of their children and the ability to think logically and analyze data among other things. It is also important to most homeschoolers to answer the needs of the kid. For example I can tell that my youngest has some sort of art/music thing happening big time. The older is very math/science oriented. Although they will both be educated in art/music/math/science/English/Spanish AND history their individual natural tendencies will be uppermost especially as they get older.

13 April, 2006 17:40  
Blogger Alison said...

hello always on the watch, i see you post over at Infidels.

Is Cubed the same poster at IBA also then?

Monica - happy Easter to you all and happy birthday to US.

13 April, 2006 18:22  
Blogger Cubed © said...

"As far as college education goes - it is opening up to homeschoolers very nicely..."

It sure is, Monica - the best always float to the top! I remain thrilled at all the homeschoolers who win things like the National Spelling Bee!

Alison,

Always On Watch and I both blog at IBA. Very tickled that you visit there too!

13 April, 2006 18:34  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I'm always amazed that we live as well as we do, on as little money as we make. I guess it's just a matter of priorities.
I'm glad we don't live in PA. MN doesn't require logging school hours. ;)

13 April, 2006 18:39  
Blogger Alison said...

I was at the London free expression rally with the Toonophobia sign, alongside Jonz of Drunken Blogging who contributes to IBA. His signs were sooo funy - IBA sign, Carlsberg, Life of Brian.. Small blogging world eh.

13 April, 2006 20:02  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Alison - happy birthday to YOU and happy Easter as well. Have a wonderful trip to Paris - and I am so thrilled that you know of AOW and Cubed. It is a small, small world. BTW - your piccy was in my beloved (but sometimes inaccurate regarding European politics..) Weekly Standard. Yeah, girl! TOONOPHOBIA!! Ya did good and thanks for getting out there. I'll leave a message at your blog so you know to look for the issue and buy it.

Cubed - Everyone is starting to recognize that the vast majority of homeschooled students are the cream of the crop.

tshsmom - I am amazed too. There is many a month I think - How are we going to get through this month??!!! But we always do thank God. My mother tells me that we are living the way most families lived back in the day when one income supported a family. She is right and as much as I miss the more expensive things life has to offer I understand that my kids are little for such a short time. It is worth giving up the goodies for a few years. Lucky you to not have to log hours!!

13 April, 2006 23:33  
Blogger Dionne said...

It's interesting how all the homeschool laws are different for different states. In Missouri we have to get 1000 hours of instruction in a year. But the hours are considered units of study. So an hour can be anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. I find that 1000 units usually gets my kids through their curriculum so it seems to be a good fit.

15 April, 2006 22:28  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

The laws are very different from state to state. (God bless America!!) I saw a study SOMEWHERE showing that the amount of regulation had no impact on how well the homeschoolers do. That tells me that reducing the legal burden put on families in highly regulated states would be fine.

16 April, 2006 00:08  
Blogger Kate said...

You're on the countdown now. GA seems like such an easy state for homeschooling (compared to PA). I am thankful for that. Now that spring is here, it makes those last weeks really drag on! But then again, it can be motivating too! Our pool opens next Monday so I told the kids they need to get a move on school if they want to go (we have it all to ourselves while the other kids are in school! Ahhh the just ONE of the MANY joys of homeschooling!) Have a great week!

24 April, 2006 18:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home