.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Aesop's Fable Friday.

I will be sharing two Aesop's Fables this Friday. Each of the two girlies wanted to pick their own and of COURSE they're different.

Courtesy the 5 year old:

The Fisherman Piping.

A Fisherman who could play the flute went down one day to the seashore with his nets and his flute; and, taking his stand on a projecting rock, began to play a tune, thinking that the music would bring the fish jumping out of the sea.

He went on playing for some time, but not a fish appeared: so at last he threw down his flute and cast his net into the sea, and made a great haul of fish.

When they were landed and he saw them leaping about on the shore, he cried, "You rascals! You wouldn't dance when I piped: but now I've stopped, you can do nothing else!"

Moral of the story: The whole world doesn't dance to our own tune.

Courtesy the 9 year old:

The Walnut Tree.

A Walnut Tree, which grew by the roadside, bore every year a plentiful crop of nuts. Everyone who passed by pelted its branches with sticks and stones, in order to bring down the nuts, and the tree suffered severely.

"It is hard," it cried, "that the very persons who enjoy my crop should thus reward me with insults and blows."

Moral of the story: Be most kind to those who are most giving.

I asked the 5 year old why that fisherman thought that just because he played his flute the fish should dance? She rolled her eyes and shrugged in a very dramatic way. "He shouldn't,' said she. "You're right," said I. End of discussion.

The 9 year old and I looked at the picture that accompanies the fable that she chose. It's of a walnut tree with a most saddened and shocked face drawn on the trunk and tears coming out of it's sad, tree-eyes. A little boy in a tunic has struck it with a stout stick and walnuts are coming lose from the branches. "Poor tree," said she. "Yes," said I. End of that discussion.

Normally these fables prompt interesting discussions. It must be because of my neurotic reactions to them at times.

7 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

"It is hard," it cried, "that the very persons who enjoy my crop should thus reward me with insults and blows."

Hmmm, kinda reminds me of what certain countries on our wee planet continue to experience year in and year out.

15 April, 2006 12:44  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I thought the SAME thing, Alicenot!

16 April, 2006 00:09  
Blogger Sprittibee said...

Be most nice to who is most generous.... hmmmm.... I can relate that to a situation in politics right now. If you go to Mexico, you get murdered (for the 20$ in your wallet), but if you let Mexicans come here, they get a free ride. Who should the politicians cater to?

16 April, 2006 09:42  
Blogger dcat said...

Well I do dance to my own tune. :)

Hey Happy Easter Monica!

16 April, 2006 16:04  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Sprittibee - unbelievable how Vicente Fox treats illegals in his country yet denounces the US for wanting to secure our border. The US feeds the entire world and we are constantly criticized and attacked by those who benefit from our largesse.

Skye - agreed. We had a wonderful Easter and I hope that you did too. Thanks!

Dcat - I know you do honey! Always my favorite kind of person - one who dances to the beat of a different drum.

17 April, 2006 11:40  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I could say something about dancing to flute music under a nut tree... but I won't.

17 April, 2006 23:01  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Sounds like it could be fun. ;-)

17 April, 2006 23:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home