.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

What's on my mind.

This is like having a 'pensieve'. I have to dump it here because there is too much clattering around in my skull and I can't make head nor tail of it all. It's too much for Grizzly Mama - too much I tell you! I am nearly catatonic because of it. Maybe if I dump it then I will be able to think.

  • Solutes and solvents. I don't recall being taught the word 'solute' in Science while enrolled in our failing public school system. The 4th grader and the Kindergartner know it now. So does Grizzly Mama!! We also know the proper way to label a solution with solute coming first and solvent coming second. Fascinating.

  • Snow is coming - possibly 8 inches or more. Where did I put the sleds? I LOVE to go sledding.

  • Patrick has a new job. We will remain in Philly.

  • The house is going up for sale. That last little incident involving a chase from another neighborhood, a dozen police cars, a channel 10 newstruck, a helicopter with spotlight hovering over the the block, and gunshots all happening around midnight or so is a sign. A sign that the neighborhood is turning - and not for the better.

  • Painting. The kitchen cabinets need to be primed and painted with high gloss white paint. Have to fix that drawer that I duct taped together 3 years ago. The living room needs to be painted, the woodwork in the dining room and the bathroom needs it's finishing touches.

  • This time of year we go into high gear with school. If we are going to finish everything (or most of it) we are going to have to kick butt. Normally I rely on the winter being cold and miserable which gives us plenty of indoor time to do school. This winter has been warm and so we like to get outside. We have a lot of work to do.

  • Suitcase bombs. (always a worry)

  • The porous borders - totally upset about that.

  • Get the baby-shower gifts today and don't forget Tom-Tom's birthday presents.

  • The encroachment of Islamofascist ideology into our public school system, our prison system and our society in general. We can thank the lying Saudi Royal Family B@$tards for that.

  • The Committees of Correspondence. Yet another detail left out in my History education.

  • Linking to several new blogs that I have found.

    Thank you so much for helping me to sort it all out. I'm hoping that in no time at all I will be able to post something coherent!

  • 20 Comments:

    Blogger Alan said...

    GM,

    My best wishes to you, The Troll (or, Patrick, as you call him) and the children on getting to stay in the Philly area. Sorry that you have to move. (My mother told a similar story about leaving Chicago after witnessing a running gunfight through the backyard back in the days of Al Capone).

    Now, put on a pot of chili, hide the sleds and crack those books!

    11 February, 2006 13:09  
    Blogger MamaGeph said...

    Whew! You do need a pensieve!

    When I taught a unit on light in science at our co-op last session, we played with solutions and collloids and studied the Tyndall effect. These were 6-8 year olds, and they ate it up. The PS system is such a waste of time.

    11 February, 2006 13:09  
    Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

    Thank you Alan. We will go sledding tomorrow though! It has to happen - and if I can't find the sleds we'll improvise. It's a shame about our neighborhood because it really WAS nice for so long.

    MamaGeph - There is so much interesting information out there and every kid I come into contact with just eats it all up - they love it. So do I for that matter. Why can't interesting information be imparted to children in public school?

    11 February, 2006 16:59  
    Blogger City Troll said...

    Just keep ramblin baby, and did ya find the sleds?

    the Chili sounds like a good meal for after the sledding Alan

    11 February, 2006 21:28  
    Blogger Gina said...

    Monica ,

    you were going to leave the philly area ? where are you going ? I am in abington , its close to philly but a better area ..

    11 February, 2006 23:37  
    Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

    Paddy had a couple of job offers involving other cities. We'll be staying in this area though so that's good. I'm not sure where we will end up Gina. Everything is so up in the air. I would love to live a bit further out. I like Abington. Wherever we end up it will be within commute distance to Philly.

    11 February, 2006 23:59  
    Blogger Gina said...

    keep me posted ....

    12 February, 2006 16:47  
    Blogger Kate said...

    so glad you don't have to go through an out of state move...
    so how much snow did you get there? post some pictures!! (i'm snow deprived down here!) ;)

    12 February, 2006 17:11  
    Blogger Anna said...

    Feeling your pain and confusion! Same problem here. Good luck!

    12 February, 2006 22:53  
    Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

    I will Gina.

    Kate - I have no pictures to post but maybe I can find some on the net. It's beautiful - our snow! We got a decent amount - about 18 inches. I love snow.

    Thank you Dagney. You are always so supportive and it is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks Anna! LOL! Hope you are feeling better soon too.

    12 February, 2006 23:47  
    Blogger Mike's America said...

    Hope you have fun in the snow. I used to love a real blizzard in DC (not in New York though...)

    13 February, 2006 00:13  
    Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

    Thanks Mike - we had a blast and there will be enough left to play in it tomorrow too. It's nice because it tires the kiddies out real good! LOL!

    13 February, 2006 00:35  
    Blogger Always On Watch said...

    MonicaR,
    It's definitely high-gear time for homeschoolers. As a contracted teacher for groups of homeschoolers, we're all feeling the pinch of getting through the required material, especially in the for-credit courses for high schoolers. Keep pushing! You'll get the kids there.

    The inroads of Islamification are getting deeper and deeper. I am blogging with an air of desperation, something I've never felt before. This is one of several sites laying out the dangers within Western culture. The blogmaster there has written a fantastic book entitled A New Dark Age Is Dawning. I highly recommend it and will, at some point, review it at my Always site. The book is also appropriate for teens. Get a copy!

    Did you hear what Al Gore said in Saudi? See this!

    13 February, 2006 09:48  
    Blogger NotClauswitz said...

    I once new a girl named Betsy from Ardmore, and oh-boy...

    13 February, 2006 11:08  
    Blogger tshsmom said...

    You're welcome Dagney.

    Sounds like you got too much snow
    to enjoy sledding. The good news is that you got enough snow to build snowforts.

    13 February, 2006 16:06  
    Blogger Kate said...

    18 inches! OOOOOO I'm soooo jealous! That's what I love about snow - so much for the kids to do (build, play, etc) that it tires them out good! It's the winters I miss - so much.
    Enjoy it!

    13 February, 2006 18:46  
    Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

    AOW - I've realized that this is the way it goes for us every year. It can get a little nerve-wracking but it always works out fine and we've never had a problem. Although this is the first year that I've had TWO students - and teaching a kindergartner is quite intense. She's read her first reader though so she's doing great. Also the 4th grader is doing much of her work independently at this point.

    The more I look into this islamification stuff the more freaked out I get. I just want to scream at people - - WAKE UP! Did you hear the Gore was actually paid by the bin Laden family to speak in bin Laden's hometown in KSA? I hadn't heard it until Troll told me. That Gore is a real stupidass and we have to thank God every day that he lost.

    Dirtcrasher - yeah. Ya gotta watch out for those Ardmore girls! LOL!

    Tshsmom and Kate - today was perfect for sledding and we did. Yesterday WAS better for building and digging. It took us 2 hours to dig the cars out and shovel our tiny walk. I do love snow too. Wish Philly got more.

    13 February, 2006 23:04  
    Blogger Laura said...

    Firstly, looks like you and everyone else in the Northeast corridor got snow! Happy sledding. Now we're looking at getting that storm - not snow but probably high winds and rain. We'll see.

    Secondly, thanks for that download. Looks like your brain cells have been in overdrive. And here I am not having a thing to write about. HA!!!

    14 February, 2006 04:07  
    Blogger tshsmom said...

    Thanks, I didn't realize that Gore got paid for that speech. Who paid for it is unthinkable. I did read a transcript of the speech and was appalled! Does anybody really expect any better from that dunce?

    14 February, 2006 17:30  
    Blogger Steve Donohue said...

    Take your time, and I'm sure we'll all be here when you have more time on your hands.

    I'm going through a bit of a blog malaise myself that it's been rather difficult to shake out of.

    15 February, 2006 00:18  

    Post a Comment

    << Home