.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Monday, December 26, 2005

The po' people really know how to decorate for Christmas.

We were all over the Philadelphia Metropolitan area on Christmas day. From here to there we dashed in our little car, exchanging gifts, visiting friends and eating tons of food. From our little working class neighborhood to others nearby and then out to the tonier locales: Edgemont, Newtown Square and West Chester.

We noticed that the working class REALLY do it up right when it comes to Christmas lights. Including us - oh yes. Although Troll didn't feel like stringing lights outside this year Grizzly Mama would have none of it. Since half of our lights seem to have died over the summer - off to the dollar store I went. Lighted candy canes for across the garden, window lights for the upstairs windows and of course the huge 7 foot polar bear blow up thingy that has a fan keeping him inflated and lights inside. Along with the greens and the little Santa sign that Mom-Mom made. Lights around the big living room window to frame our most beautiful Christmas tree with the twinklers on it. It was the best I could do in a pinch.

We love to drive around and look at peoples Christmas lights. We noticed that the further out we got - the less of the ostentatious displays we saw. At most maybe white lights only. I guess they feel 'less is more' and that is so true in most cases - but NOT for Christmas lights! And all white lights is SOOOOOO boring. Unless it is paired with greens in every window as it was in one mansion we passed.

Down here with the poor people it's fragging beautiful! I need some color! Some action! And lots of it. THEN I'll oooooh and aaaaah. Why, just a few blocks over where it's mostly Section 8 housing the whole fragging block is lit.

Tomorrow I will cruise out with the girlies to see what's 75% off for lights and buy some for next year. I'm dying to get one of those little trains that the lights move in such a way that it looks as though the wheels are going 'round and 'round. And a whole bunch of small spiral trees to line the walk to the front door. And one of those white plastic fake trees with a million multicolor lights on it - although Troll wants the one that changes from blue to white and back again. I know - we'll get them both!

6 Comments:

Blogger The Sparky said...

You paint a good picture Monica, I usually put some coloured ferry lights around the front window to give us some winter cheer. And for the last few years we have been splashing out on real Xmas trees five or six footers with roots so we can put them in the garden afterwards. We have an array of decorations for them lights and beads, balls the lot. It’s like a work of art to my other half, I have not got the patience though, but I love it. And on a nearby estate some home make the extra effort and as you say usally a poorer area, but it’s like your forth of July with the lights and blow up Santa’s and angels and moving reindeers and sleighs, it must cost some of these people a fortune. But when cars slow down to show their kids the Xmas lights they know it’s worth it. My little ones love them.

27 December, 2005 17:16  
Blogger Ca... said...

Donna checked out Walmart today. I don't know what we need with the stuff she bought but it sure was a bargain! 'yuk'

27 December, 2005 23:09  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

LOL!

Skye - the one we have is holding a little baby polar bear with skates on it's little feet - too cute!

Sparky - We always get a real tree. Never to replant though - no room! Once Troll gets the lights on (the girlies and I usually leave when he does that so we don't have to listen to him cussin'!) then we decorate. It's beautiful and I love to sit and look at it while it's up. By a week after New Year I'm sick of it all and the cleanup begins.

CA - I found some goodies today too. Next year will be better than ever! LOL! Didn't find the little spiral trees - but we're still on the hunt. DID find wrapping paper and bows for 20 cents apiece. Can't beat THAT with a stick.

27 December, 2005 23:14  
Blogger Mike's America said...

Did you take some photos of you light display?

Thanks for the question about information on the Dome Village in LA:

http://www.domevillage.org/

I neglected to include that in my original post. There's a link there for contribution.s

30 December, 2005 00:28  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks Mike. No piccys of our lights outside as they are just not spectacular enough for that. (THIS year anyway...I found some dandy stuff at 75% off for next year!) I'm going to do a small entry linking to you and flopping aces about this guy - he's a gem and deserves some support!

Skye - I haven't stepped foot in Center City this holiday season. Are you going to the Mummers Parade? I have never been but I ADORE the Mummers. Most Philly natives I know can't stand them.

30 December, 2005 01:13  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Too fun! It must be beautiful down there this time of year. I'll be watching the Mummers on the boob tube from a birthday party. A friend goes every year - I can't handle the cold!

30 December, 2005 15:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home