.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Monday, May 02, 2005

Whaddayou - Muslim or something?!

Yes - that very question was asked of me 2 days ago. In exactly that delicate phrasing. We're in Philly after all. Eloquence is the order of the day here in the City of Brotherly Love.

No I'm not Muslim. I have to wrap my head up in brightly colored cloth because of this Trigeminal Nerve affliction I suffer from. The cloth doesn't have to be brightly colored, but I prefer it. I like happy colors and things. My girlies bought me head wraps for my 42nd birthday. One is a skirt that you're supposed to wrap around your ass - but it works great for my head. The other is a delicate and beautiful shawl.

What is Trigeminal Neuralgia?

In short, Trigeminal Neuralgia is an affliction that totally sucks. One good thing came of it last week, though. I was actually carded when I went to buy smokes - I didn't bother to undo my head wrap when I went in the store. Whoooooo-hoooooo!

7 Comments:

Blogger Abe said...

Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) is not fatal, but it is universally considered to be the most painful affliction known to medical practice.

Ouch. I had no idea you were facing something like this. :(

02 May, 2005 22:05  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Here's my description of the pain, Abe.

Tiny, nasty little leprechauns running around my mouth with hot, electical spikey prods - jamming, jamming them deep into the roots of my teeth. Cackling, evil little leprechauns. (I hate them so)

That is the extent of my creative writing ability. The truth is, if I keep the breeze from tickling the right side of my face and head I'm usually okay. I'm taking mega B-vitamin supps now. For the most part it is manageable now without meds.

02 May, 2005 22:45  
Blogger Steve Donohue said...

I'm certainly sorry to hear all that. While we all have our crosses to bear, it is often unfortunate that some of ours are more burdensome than others. Of course the test of character is to see what can be made of one's existence regardless of burden.

Then if the value of one's life is the progress one makes in spite of those burdens, you'll certainly come closer to a state of perfection than those of us foreign to such physical adversity can hope to acheive.

While the oft-repeated aphorism that "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger" is undoubtedly false in a great number of situations, I can only believe that it has rung true in your own life. I can hardly imagine a more delightfully forceful person:-)

03 May, 2005 00:06  
Blogger David Vance said...

Monica,

If I could take all those nasty Leprechauns that cause you pain and mport them back to Ireland, where ALL Leprechauns come from, I would. Sometimes I wonder why God afflicts the good whilst the bad seem to get away free, but then I figure that they will get their isn eternity whislt we're doign our bit of pain here!

03 May, 2005 10:28  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Steven & DV, thank you and I'd like to think that what you say is true. I hope so. My sister believes that when you die - pphhhbbttt - that's it. Nothingness. She is stronger than I, I think and I hope that whatever it is we go through there is some reason behind it. There IS a bright side to my story in that it was diagnosed correctly very quickly. I've read case histories of others who were not so lucky and ended up having all of their teeth pulled and it, of course, not helping. Some people have been so desperate as to have the nerve totally cut, resulting in numbness(and sometimes an odd combination of numbness and pain) only to have the damn nerve grow back together after several years.

Thank you also DV for wanting to deport those nasty little leprechauns back to Ireland! LOL! I think what I'll do is fry the little bastards with gamma rays - once they get the procedure perfected and know whether or not it actually works.

Delightfully forceful, eh? I'll take that as a compliment! :-)

03 May, 2005 13:18  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Sorry to hear that! :-( re: teeth-related - I thought it was bad when I got a case of Bell's Palsy, from overwork in the dentist chair - but it was only a 2-week temporary slobbering aspect.

03 May, 2005 15:38  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Dirtcrasher - a friend of mine ended up with Bell's Palsy but I'm not sure if it was after dental work. His lasted quite awhile and he was put on mega doses of B vitamins. It's much better now. HE has a friend who ended up blind after dental work! I'd never heard of such a thing.

I named my former dentist 'The Butcher' after the affliction struck, but then I was reassured by everyone in the know that it really wasn't his fault. It makes ya wonder though.

03 May, 2005 20:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home