.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

So here I am, not socializing my kids again. *sigh*

Oh heck - we had a great time today. Very busy. Up with the sun courtesy of the 4 year old. She had 'quality time' with Grizzly Papa while I had 'quality time' with the 8 year old. She wanted to go to the thrift shop and buy some books. She did well! Nine books for $8.00.

We come home, Grizzly Papa heads to work and the three of us (just me and the girlies)start school. Lo and behold! It's ANOTHER half day for the publics. Good Gawd sometimes it seems that every day is a half day for them. No problemo. We ride with it. Five kids in the sandbox, 8 year old doing math while neighbor 5 year old looks at what she's doing with much interest and hands her pencils if she needs them.

Finish up with Math and Language Arts. Start History. Two neighbor kids follow us in to hear about the Age of Exploration - or atleast a small part of it.

Science. The best of all when the neighbor kids are around. I set up while they run around outside (all 12 of them now). When I emerge with all of the tools who do I see but the lady who said my kids are 'isolated'. I just smile a big smile and say hello. Hey now - give me some credit here - I was nice.

We put some steel wool in vinegar. Nothing. We all start to giggle. WHY isn't anything happening? I explain in my most scholarly voice about chemical changes. Oh hell - we'll let the steel wool sit and see what happens when we mix vinegar with baking soda. Whooooooo - MUCH better!! Lots of action there! Bubbles and carbon dioxide being released. They want to mix more - so we do! Wheeee! More bubbles! I finally look up on the internet what is SUPPOSED to happen with the steel wool - (should've done that ahead of time...) - and we all gather round the computer to see(still 12 kids). Ahhhhhhhhhhh now it's clear. The steel wool will warm up. Something to do with facilitating rust. And it does. One of the 9 year old boys looks at me and we roll our eyes at each other and laugh.

Time to be squirt by the hose. More special ed. kids home from school and joining in the fun. A picnic for the kiddies and gabbing for Grizzly Mama with the other Grizzly Mamas.

Poor us to be so isolated with no socialization. :-)

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve Donohue said...

Way to go Mama- it sounds like your doing things right.

20 April, 2005 23:42  
Blogger That Dude said...

I havent read back, but should I assume ur homeschooling?

21 April, 2005 15:43  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Yes dude - although I'm not a homeschool purist (as I call them.) My daughter is enrolled in a 'cyber charter' school. We do all the teaching at home, she is tested as a government schooled kid.

And thank you Steven - I appreciate all of your encouraging remarks.

21 April, 2005 23:45  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you Mairin. My kidlets are on their way to being FINE capitalists! LOL!

Thanks for stopping by. It's beautiful here in Philly - as long as you're armed. ;-)

22 April, 2005 21:49  
Blogger Lone Ranger said...

When home-schoolers can consistently educate their kids at the 96th percentile, socialization should be their last worry. Our public schools are broken beyond repair and home-schooled kids have a leg up on their public-educated kids for the rest of their lives. This whole socialization nonsense is just propaganda brewed up by the teachers' unions. I have a lot of friends who home-school and I have yet to see a kid who wasn't delightfully social. On the contrary, it's public educated kids who are sullen, profane, disrespectful, angry and very often scary.

24 April, 2005 04:01  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Lone Ranger - I have noticed this too! I'm so glad you brought it up because all of the homeschool kids I know are very open, engaging, intelligent and love to sit and chat and meet new people.

The publics seem to be uncomfortable, not willing to communicate with anyone except kids their own age, and have attitudes a mile long.

I'm getting very annoyed with the teacher union hack type people that I know. VERY annoyed with them. They're so full of crap - I swear...

24 April, 2005 23:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home