.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

What type of homeschooler are you?

HASH(0x8bd8cbc)
Salvador Dali Melting clocks are not a problem in
your reality. You are an unschooler. You will
tolerate a textbook, but only as a last resort.
Mud is your friend. You prefer hands-on
everything. If your school had an anthem, it
would be Dont Worry, Be Happy. Visit my blog:
http://www.GuiltFreeHomeschooling.blogspot.com


What Type of Homeschooler Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla


I find this funny - because unschooling sort of freaks me out! I do like textbooks but I have to admit that I am relaxing more the further along this path I go. I started very scared and unsure. I needed structure and guidance - I didn't trust myself.

The oldest is now in 3rd grade and the little one will be starting kindergarten next year. I LOVE the K12 curriculum and will continue to use it. The big 'however' is this: However, we are quite relaxed about a schedule and we find moments every day that serve as a learning experience outside of the curriculum. Those moments are becoming more and more important to me as I go along.

Bother with these damn state rules, regulations and laws. It's a reality to be dealt with for sure - I just don't see that they help me or my children in any way. Pennsylvania has some of the most restrictive homeschooling laws in the country.

8 Comments:

Blogger Abe said...

At work today I saw a sign in a colleague's office: "My wife is a homeschooler, and she's my HERO."

28 April, 2005 00:18  
Blogger Steve Donohue said...

Just remember that not every parent can responsibly handle the education of their own child, unfortunately. I couldn't imagine homeschooling in some families, so some guidelines must be in place. Never become flustered because the state assumes lack of responsibility in parents- my experience as a tutor is that parental ignorance is almost a given for the students that need the most help.

Still- dealing with regulations are still a bitch, aren't they?

28 April, 2005 00:20  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Interesting Abe. It's amazing how many people are out there who homeschool. I was shocked when homeschooling started looking like a viable option just how many people are doing it. Hundreds in the community - thousands even.

I know Steven. It's a lot of work and a huge commitment. (It's also a lot of fun!) I still think that PA's laws are overly burdensome and it irks me that *I* am required to document progress and objectives to the state and the public schools, who are failing miserably, don't seem to be held accountable in the same way.

End of bitching about it. Well - maybe NOT the end completely but the end for today. :-)

28 April, 2005 00:32  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

I tested-out as Galileo... ;-)
It's (or I'm) irrelevant, but kinda fits.

28 April, 2005 11:41  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Wow man! What does that mean? I tried to find the different types of homeschoolers on the quiz and couldn't. What did it say about Galileo? It sounds cool and I want to be that! LOL!

29 April, 2005 00:28  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I've homeschooled my two kids for the past three years. They are fifteen and sixteen. We did it differently than most in that they attended public school until 6th and 8th grades. It has given us the freedom we needed. My blog is humor based and my daughter's blog is the coolest blog I've ever seen: http://cmarie88.blogspot.com

29 April, 2005 00:51  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Well thank you, dear. Yes - you have some very cool blogs indeed!

30 April, 2005 01:33  
Blogger Headmistress, zookeeper said...

Steven, when the government schools manage to handle the education of every child in their system without letting them graduate with diplomas but no reading skills, *then* I _might_ concede their right to tell me how to educate my children.
Meanwhile those 'guidelines' are misplaced.
I also think it's very telling that every study ever done has shown no difference in the stellar test scores of homeschoolers who homeschool in states with zero regulation (like mine) and homeschoolers who homeschool in states like PA.

30 April, 2005 15:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home