.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Easy Answer Interrupted

I have been thinking a great deal about the Easy Questions from my last entry. I have some observations about my own education and upbringing. It is not such an Easy Answer, really. I appreciate everyone's comments - thank you. You have helped me to focus a bit.

And then.....and then.....

The waterbed mattress sprung a leak. I discovered it at 2:00 a.m. - which is my usual bedtime. I mopped the mess up inside the liner at the one corner of the bed, hoping that someone spilled a glass of water into my bed. THAT would have been too easy, eh? My kids do crawl into bed with me in the morning with their little glasses of water. Perhaps Troll did the deed and just didn't want to admit it.

It became quite obvious that the easy way is not the way for the old Grizzly Mama. Oh no! We must deal with this situation while teaching school, getting caught up on the laundry (HA!), and coming up with three meals a day for the little ones - besides making sure they're clean and their things are clean, too.

Add to it that the local malls do not sport waterbed stores anymore. When did that happen? When did it become a mail-order thing? We had to travel to Delaware this afternoon (in the middle of doing everything else) to get a new mattress, liner AND heater. We discovered that we needed the heater after draining the mattress only to find the heater wire insulation crumbling off and the metal heating element thingamajiggy exposed. DANG! We coulda DIED!

Well, thank the Good Lord for tax-free shopping in the state to the immediate south of us. Thank the Good Lord that this was discovered before we died and 2 days after receiving our income tax refund. Thank the Good Lord that, despite how whiny the girls can be at times, they did an awesome job on their schoolwork today.

We have a lot to be thankful for. When I think about Sudan - well. My troubles are few and my blessings many.

My not-so-easy answer to Easy Question # 2 is on it's merry way, just a little delayed.

8 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

I like water beds but they are so hard to upkeep. I think you have lots to be greatful for. The lord works in his own mysterious ways doesnt he? I am glad you caught it though before it went to far.

25 April, 2007 08:38  
Blogger Abouna said...

BOY DO I HAVE GREAT NEWS!! Please check out the following link:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/
2007/4/25/102538.shtml?s=br

This will bring a smile to your face.

25 April, 2007 11:32  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Have you ever noticed that the minute we have a few extra dollars, something needs replacing?

25 April, 2007 16:19  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Tweetey, I was tempted to throw the entire bed out the back window to be hauled away by the trashmen, but after pricing beds and decent mattresses, we decided to stay with it. I love it because it's so warm and my feet get so cold during the day. Plus - it's huge! Then someone pointed out that the mattress that leaked was 9 y/old and the heater was 16 y/old. That's about the life of any bed, I guess. I am SO thankful that we didn't get electrocuted! lol! Thanks.

Abouna - well this IS news, isn't it? I had never even heard of 'The View' until a few weeks ago. I think it must have been when Rosie made her famous comment about melting steel. I've been seeing her face just a bit too much since then - so maybe she'll go away now!

Tshsmom - Troll and I were totally bummed. It was, like, 300 bucks to get the new mattress. That might not be alot for some folks but it is a lot for us. It never fails that when we have a bit of extra, something happens. Then I realized that it was actually the perfect timing and thank goodness we could easily deal with it. Well - not easily. You know what I mean!

26 April, 2007 00:00  
Blogger Jana said...

We were thinking of getting a waterbed again once our new bedroom is finished. They're not cheap!

I gave you an award. Stop by my place!

26 April, 2007 11:01  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Am mutual friend of Tshsmoms and I have water beds for there kids and them. Or at least at one point they did. I had went over to stay with the kids while they went to a wedding and I ended up falling alseep on there bed. Mom had a hard time waking me up. I was so cozy.

But I do agree. It seems like when we have a little extra all our money goes out the drain. Look what we had to do for K's room. Yikes.

26 April, 2007 11:16  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I definitely know what you mean! It happens to us ALL the time. :(

26 April, 2007 16:36  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I haven't had a good nights sleep since I gave up my water bed.

26 April, 2007 19:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home