.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Aesop's Fable Friday

The Tortoise and the Eagle


A Tortoise, discontented with his lowly life, and envious of the birds he saw disporting themselves in the air, begged an Eagle to teach him to fly.

The Eagle protested that it was idle for him to try, as nature had not provided him with wings; but the Tortoise pressed him with entreaties and promises of treasure, insisting that it could only be a question of learning the tricks of the air.

At length the Eagle consented to do the best he could for him, and picked him up in his talons. Soaring with him to a great height in the sky, he then let him go, and the wretched Tortoise fell headlong and was dashed to pieces on a rock.

Moral of the story: It is better to keep both your feet on the ground.

That is, if you are not a bird.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mike's America said...

I don't know why, but I'm reminded of the Dr. Seuss story "Yertle the Turtle."

http://www.chuckwagner.com/yertle.html

09 December, 2006 00:16  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I get Dr. Seuss stuff stuck in my head ALL the time, Mike!

09 December, 2006 02:00  
Blogger Laura said...

Hmm, "Turtle on the rocks?"

Or, "Turtle on the half-shell?"

:)

09 December, 2006 04:13  
Blogger Laura said...

Hmm, "Turtle on the rocks?"

Or, "Turtle on the half-shell?"

:)

09 December, 2006 04:23  
Blogger Laura said...

Hmm, "Turtle on the rocks?"

Or, "Turtle on the half-shell?"

:)

09 December, 2006 04:24  
Blogger tshsmom said...

The eagle, however, learned how to get a tasty turtle treat. ;)

10 December, 2006 08:35  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Alicenot - Mmmmmmm. Turtle soup!

tshsmom - yes and the turtle begged him to do it, didn't he?

10 December, 2006 11:53  
Blogger Skye said...

Ah..the genesis of the recipe for Turtle Soup. :)

Totally O/T

Have you checked out the hit counter: Statcounter?

I use it on my site to track hits and a plethora of other information. I mentioned it to you before and forgot to pass on the link...sorry :)

10 December, 2006 12:56  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Oh Skye - dont apologize! I will check it out - I vaguely recall you mentioning it but then I forgot.

Thanks for the link, though!

12 December, 2006 00:28  
Blogger Laura said...

Gosh GM! I didn't realize my comment went up three flipping times! What a dork I am. Grrrr.

12 December, 2006 09:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home