.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, October 27, 2006

A Day In The Life Of A Sick Grizzly Mama

It's a school day. Has been all week. Had a terrible night waking up and hacking. Thankfully the girlies slept until 10:00 (for the older one) and 11:00 (for the little one which is very unusual for her). Bacon and toast for breakfast. The morning is the worst with this illness - dang. After an hour or so my sinuses actually cleared up and I could breathe.

The little one gets logged onto the computer and accesses her History lesson while I am on the phone talking to a homeschool mom friend. She thinks I ought to see a doctor and I am inclined to agree. As the day passes, the coughing fits grow fewer and farther between. Last night I must have really strained something because every time I would cough, my left butt cheek hurt. I have been crazy doing laundry to keep up with my little accidents - I am getting older you know - and these coughing fits remind me of when I was heavily pregnant and would laugh really hard. Troll's underwear had to be put to use which is something I probably shouldn't admit on the world wide web, is it? What can I say? I ran out and it takes some time to get everything washed and then dried.

Anyhoo - so I'm doing load after load of laundry and today's first grade history lesson happens to be about the nomads settling in the Fertile Crescent. We talked about Mesopotamia, which happens to be Iraq now, and the Nile river. Rivers in general are important and that is the gist of it. She decides that we need to make mud bricks - just like the settling nomads who now need houses to live in.

2 cups of dirt, 1 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water later they are making bricks while the oven heats up. They found a worm - eeewwww. I am happy about it because worms are good for the garden, which is where the dirt came from. While they are playing with mud, Troll calls. He is in hell. The Verrazano Narrows Bridge, to be exact. He had to drive to JFK for a training class. North Jersey is a bugger to drive through, unless you do it at - like - two o'clock in the morning. I whip up a batch of mac and cheese and we eat lunch while the bricks are baking.

It's raining. Cold. The wind is just raw and cold. I haven't done any inhalations today because I've been so busy with laundry, dishes, mud, etc. We find out that our neighbor has died. He was 51. Massive stroke. We were just hanging out with him on the block 5 days ago while the kids played. God bless him. The girlies cried - he was always good to them and always remembered their birthdays and always had a kind word for them. No matter how far along I get I am always brought up short by the death of someone I know. They're here one minute and gone the next, never to be seen again. I will never get used to that. We must make a lasagne for his parents and family.

On to math for both girls. Little one is practicing simple subtraction and identifying patterns. Older one is working on improper fractions. Piece of cake - move on. Science for the older one, watersheds and topographic maps. She creates a topographic profile - something I have never done before in my life. It's fascinating stuff for me.

It's just amazing what one can learn while homeschooling ones children!

The phone starts ringing - kids are home from school and want to gab. The older one gabs while the little one and her friend from across the street try to con us into going outside so they can play. Not today - not in this nasty mess. Anyway it's time to get my check and go grocery shopping. Off we go - we don't need much this week. Just stuff to hold us through. The girlies always help and like to find the stuff on sale, they help keep track of cost, scan the stuff at the self scanner and bag for me while I wrestle with the coupons and the electronic payment. Then it's off to get Chinese, home to find Troll back safely.

We eat and watch the new Dr. Who while The Avatar records. Great shows.

15 Comments:

Blogger Mike's America said...

So I take it you never tried the green tea with echinacea, zinc and fresh lemon?

Too bad we can't get codeine cough syrup without a prescription. That always took care of the cough for me.

I hope you get well soon. We need all hands on deck in 11 days.

27 October, 2006 21:19  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I cannot take codeine unless I want to vomit my brains out. Troll can and we actually have some cough syrup with codeine in the cupboard.

I haven't drunk the green tea but I have been drinking chamomile tea with honey and lemon.

We'll be there on election day, Mike. Troll is working the polls as usual.

27 October, 2006 21:25  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Oh - also taking homeopathic phosphorus.

27 October, 2006 21:26  
Blogger atheling2 said...

Goodness, what a day! And your neighbor to boot... RIP.

I have codeine with tylenol tablets I smuggled back from Canada... those work great for bad headaches.

Ugh, don't like green tea. Tastes bitter. You go get some Yin Chiao, it'll really help!

28 October, 2006 02:46  
Blogger tshsmom said...

LOL! Someone once asked me why the p was silent in pneumonia. I told them to try coughing their guts out, while drinking "plenty of fluids", and they'd find out. ;)

28 October, 2006 08:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So long as you're throwing everything you can think of at it, I recommend trying to find some Carmol Tropfen to alleviate the symptoms. I find it a sure-fire way to clear the sinuses and tends to work well as a general panacea. Not a cure-all, sad to say, but it does seem to help across the board.

28 October, 2006 08:59  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I haven't made it down to Chinatown yet, atheling. The week just flew by...

tshsmom - I just knew there were women out there who would understand - thank you! lol.

Thank you Mr. Smith - I have never heard of it. It can be had at Amazon.com I see and it's a product of Germany. It has many different things in it and appears to be a body rub. I'll have to order some!

28 October, 2006 23:32  
Blogger Dani Kekoa said...

Hey Grizzly - Came across you at the blog carnival. Hope everyone is feeling better. We've all been sick too - but thankfully we can sleep in and take naps when needed.

Take Care!

01 November, 2006 15:18  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Dani - you got that right. There is just nothing like slowing down when you need to.

I am sorry to hear that you all are sick too. More people around me are dropping like flies with this upper respiratory thing. I'm on my 5th (and I hope final) week of it. It is so much better - - but not quite totally gone yet.

Thanks for commenting. Take care! Hope you are all better soon.

02 November, 2006 00:09  
Blogger David Vance said...

I would recommend an Irish whisky as a cure-all - but hope you feel better regardless, Monica.

02 November, 2006 12:13  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you David. That is a good idea. That particular cure just warms you right up inside.

02 November, 2006 21:00  
Blogger Kate said...

Oh Monica! I am so sorry to hear you are feeling yucky. I am a little behind with blogging so maybe by now you are feeling a tad bit better? I hope. Man, that's sudden and sad about your neighbor. Just goes to remind us, we just never know when... Ahh, forget all that green tea and herb stuff! How about a cup of rich hot cocoa with a ton of partially melted marshamallows? Mmmmmm.
Feel better! :)

02 November, 2006 22:15  
Blogger Sprittibee said...

You crack me up, girl. I just sat down and read through this post while scarfing down about six double chocolate Milano cookies by Pepperidge Farm (and a whole big glass of milk). I wouldn't suggest dairy products for your cough and sinuses, however...

That is too hilarious about your man's underwear. No, you probably shouldn't admit to such things... but hey - some people make money at doing that kind of thing on the internet, right?

My mom gave me these pills she calls "cough pearls". THEY WORK. I would suggest asking your doctor for them. I'm sure they are narcotic or something and require a prescription. I have had a bad many bouts of pnuemonia and bronchitis in my lifetime. It's a miracle that I'm here to talk about it today.

God bless and get well.

BY THE WAY - you did more school while you were sick than I get done on a normal day when I'm well. Kudos to you!

03 November, 2006 14:59  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Well if I were making money Sprittibee I would have a good excuse for admitting it. lol. C'mon! I know there are more women out there who do that. ;-)

Thanks Kate. It is almost gone. I only have a very slight cough and hardly ever and I can't hear out of my left ear very well. That fluid just won't drain out of that inner ear.

04 November, 2006 00:19  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Wooooooooo-Hoooooooo! The left ear popped (the eardrum didn't actually pop - just that popping sound when you know that the fluid pressure inside is letting up) and I can hear!!!

Five weeks, folks. Five fragging weeks for this nasty illness.

04 November, 2006 22:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home