.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Fabulous Sisters Duet.

The girls are now practicing a duet. The name of the song is 'Skateboard Doodle' , which is actually the tune of 'Yankee Doodle'. The pianist will be playing on the Grand Staff - they call it. Both hands, one treble clef and one bass. Piano always freaked me out but I love to listen to piano and always wished I could play. The guitarist will be playing along starting with C chord, changing to G, back to C, then F, G and back to C - all major chords. Guitar is pretty complicated, too.

For now the little one is just practicing going from C to G and back again, over and over. It takes her several seconds to change up the fingers on the neck. I figure just practicing going back and forth over and over might help with that. She remembers all of the major chords, though and quite a lot of the minor ones.

So far they sound terrible like they need lots more practice. They are preparing to play their duet for the residents of an old folks home. We want it to sound nice for them.

5 Comments:

Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Somewhere I read you have to do something about a thousand times before it becomes muscle-memory and can be done without consciously thinking... Practice is everything.

17 August, 2006 13:42  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I never advanced past the point of placing one finger at a time on the strings, when I changed guitar chords. My hubby does it effortlessly, but then he was a pro musician for 10 years.

17 August, 2006 15:37  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks for the tips, y'all. They both are a bit resistant to practicing but the threat of not paying for lessons anymore seems to straighten that out right quick. Another trick I have learned is that when I start practicing my flute they flock to the music room cum school room cum dining room to listen and start practicing themselves.

18 August, 2006 00:23  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Take if from a piano teacher....Ensemble playing, even a duet, requires precision and is fraught with danger, especially if one of the duetists is not a master musician, able to adjust to glitches on the part of a less experienced musician. When my pupils attempt a duet at a recital, I hold my breath!

19 August, 2006 11:11  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I am quite frightened about how they will sound AOW. LOL!

20 August, 2006 23:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home