.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Aesop's Fable Friday.

The Astronomer.

There was once an Astronomer whose habit it was to go out at night and observe the stars. One night, as he was walking about outside the town gates, gazing up absorbed into the sky and not looking where he was going, he fell into a dry well.

As he lay there groaning, some one passing by heard him, and, coming to the edge of the well, looked down. On learning what had happened, he said, "If you really were looking so hard at the sky that you didn't even see where your feet were carrying you along the ground, it appears to me that you deserve all you've got."

Moral of the story: You can look at the stars, but watch where you're going.

8 Comments:

Blogger Always On Watch said...

Reminds me of the typical absent-minded professor. Head in the clouds but no practicality.

27 May, 2006 06:58  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Too funny! When I was a kid, I was this fable, in reverse.
I always had my eyes on the ground. I was a big-time rock collector AND a horrible klutz. Watching the ground kept me from tripping over everything in my path.
My Dad constantly nagged me to keep my head up and notice the world around me. ;)

27 May, 2006 08:11  
Blogger Fr. Adrian said...

Is this a true story or a fable? It's said to have happened to Thales of Miletus.

It refers to a group of people who invaded a country for the sake of oil and kept thinking of nothing but the oil and landed up in a mess...:)

27 May, 2006 14:36  
Blogger Fr. Adrian said...

Skye,
Olive Oyle? You wouldn't be suggesting that Thales was the first Popeye as well?

Paul Wolfowitz (he and none other) said that Iraq was invaded because of its oil.

29 May, 2006 23:27  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

When did Wolfie say that? I know you and your Zionist conspiracy theories Adrian - out with a link to the quote.

29 May, 2006 23:40  
Blogger Mike's America said...

Now isn't the comment by Adrian the perfect example of LCD as Skye points out?

I mean REALLY! You have to be some kind of nut if something like that pops into your head after reading this fable.

And as for "It refers to a group of people who invaded a country for the sake of oil"

Isn't that a line from one of the Al Queda tapes of bin Laden and Zawahiri?

And just how much are we paying for that oil anyway???

Grow up Adrian... you bore me!

30 May, 2006 02:08  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Adrian is pissed because we don't give his country enough aid money. Atleast I THINK that's what's going on...

31 May, 2006 02:07  
Blogger dcat said...

Grizzly Mama,

I think you are on to something! ;)

02 June, 2006 01:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home