.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Monday, June 06, 2005

Holy Mawy Mudda a God...

Prayers by a 4 year old. She also gets a big kick out of drawing out the word 'womb' and then laughing her ass off. ie: Blessed is the fwuit of dy wooooooommmbb, Jesus.

I think I will rot in hell because I do the same thing and laugh right along with her.

When my older one was that age she would start her prayers 'Lord Jesus, Heavenly Fun'. LOL!

I am a reluctant Catholic - born and raised. We didn't miss Mass unless we were certified dying. Every week - and even when we'd go camping up in the mountains we found a church to attend on Sunday. Most of it was terribly boring for me except that I loved to sing the hymns. I still do. Once a nun (back when the nuns wore penguin suits and sat at the back of the church and sang) gave me a teddy bear as she was walking up the aisle. I'm not sure why - perhaps I looked especially needy. I wanted to BE a nun for a little while but that didn't last long.

My oldest is in PREP class at the local Parish (we used to call it CCD). She had 1st Communion last year. We have interesting discussions about God and the Church and spirituality. I have some unconventional ideas about it all. Well - unconventional according to the Church. I have to specify that what I believe or question isn't necessarily the position of the Church. 'Now, don't go arguing with Sister about it at CCD', I tell her. They have a REAL Irish Sister there. I do love her but she doesn't take any crap off of anyone!

We don't attend Mass regularly but when we do go - I love it. The smells, the sights, the sounds, the tastes. It's the same no matter what Parish I find myself in.

So - when I'm feeling homesick or out of sorts it always helps to go to Mass. No matter how much I disagree with the Church (or agree - at times) I do realize that the basic belief is there because of my upbringing in the Church and it has sustained me in some mighty tough spots.

I want my girlies to have that strength to sustain them as they get older, too.

11 Comments:

Blogger United We Lay said...

I still enjoy going to mass, even if I don't believe in all of it. I think God is okay with anything that brings you closer to your kids. And the woooooommmmmmbbb thing won't last forever. I think God is probably aware of that.

07 June, 2005 11:19  
Blogger United We Lay said...

I used to argue at CCD and got kicked out for asking why.

07 June, 2005 11:19  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Small children's understanding of things can be so funny. They can only interpret things from their limited experiences of life. The results can be hysterical, but profound.
My cousin used to do an ear-splitting rendition of "Bringing in the Sheets". She thought it was God's laundry song.

07 June, 2005 16:58  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you ladies and you are both right. Polanco I think it's probably okay - but I still have that drummed into my head, you know, the old brainwashing that says it's disrespectful. Oh well - it's too much fun so what the hey.

Tshsmom it really is hysterical at times. My girls make me laugh at least once every day and sometimes many more than once.

08 June, 2005 00:22  
Blogger United We Lay said...

You guys really make me look forward to having my baby. I'm a little scared and neurotic right now, but your experiences with your kids remind me of how good it can be. THANKS!

08 June, 2005 09:18  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Better not watch "Team America" with them! That would be sooo wrong!

08 June, 2005 10:56  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Polanco, I have only one piece of advice. Relax and ENJOY your child. They're little for such a short time. Before you know it, they're grown up and living on their own. ENJOY!!

08 June, 2005 22:38  
Blogger Mike's America said...

Monica: If we ever do set up a Theocracy, I'm putting you in charge of the nuns!

09 June, 2005 23:02  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Polanco - it's the best - having kids is great, tiring but great.

Dirtcrasher - I will have to check out Team America. It's ringing a vague bell...

Neo - I will check you out, baby.

Mike - if I were in charge of the nuns it would be mayhem!! I WOULD make sure that the Sisters had the nice houses and cars right there along with the Fathers. Lunches out, too.:-)

10 June, 2005 01:32  
Blogger jacob.thrasher said...

Monica,

That's not my blog. Somebody's impersonating me. The only blogs I write for are on my profile.

10 June, 2005 12:29  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Okay Neo - I see what's going on now.

10 June, 2005 13:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home