.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Aesop's Fable Friday

The Bee-Keeper

A thief found his way into an apiary when the Bee-Keeper was away, and stole all the honey. When the Keeper returned and found the hives empty, he was very much upset and stood staring at them for some time.

Before long the bees came back from gathering honey, and, finding their hives overturned and the Keeper standing by, they made for him with their stings.

At this he fell into a passion and cried, "You ungrateful scoundrels, you let the thief who stole my honey get off scot-free, and then you go and sting me who have always taken such good care of you!"

Moral of the story: When you hit back make sure you have the right target.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The moral to the story is:

Don't be a bee keeper.

Onanite

18 May, 2007 23:51  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

LOL!

Good one, Onanite. You wouldn't catch ME being a bee-keeper that's for sure!

19 May, 2007 00:12  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

"You ungrateful scoundrels, you let the thief who stole my honey get off scot-free,


Interesting, that he calls it his honey, when the bees might actually think otherwise.

Story to tell:

When I lived at Wright Patterson Air Force Base, age 7-8, I was standing by a yellow jacket hole without realizing it. My friends didn't think to inform me when they thought it would be a bright idea to pour water down the hole. They did the deed, and scuttled off. I was standing right by the hole when I looked down to notice the yellow jackets flying out and landing on me. I started to run and they were swarming all over me. I ran screaming home. It was hard to get in the door, and my mom and her friend must have heard me screaming, and opened the door. My mom dumped me in the bathtub with vinegar.

My friends came over while I lay in bed, sulking and swollen.

Not a great high point in my life.

19 May, 2007 03:07  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Wordsmith - I noticed that wording too.

That story is terrible! Kids can really be shits. We've got some kids on the block who do evil things and then show up at the door wanting to play. We turn them right away - nasty little goblins. Glad that you didn't have a bee allergy - Troll does and won't carry a bee sting kit and when he sees a bee he freaks out and starts trying to hit it. *sigh*

19 May, 2007 10:37  
Blogger City Troll said...

I hate bees

20 May, 2007 09:55  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Well...I'm not exactly on peace terms with their ilk, either. I kill 'em where I see 'em.

But I do love their honey...

21 May, 2007 01:31  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I hate bees. I am not allergic to them but I just dont like them. Nantucket that is a sorry story. Yikes.

21 May, 2007 13:23  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I'm so cautious about getting my facts straight, that I often don't strike when I should! :(

21 May, 2007 16:00  
Blogger Kate said...

Hey Monica! Love this one! Glad to see you are doing well.
I want to know if Wordsmith hit back with the righ target??!! ;)

22 May, 2007 08:38  
Blogger Mike's America said...

"scot-free"

Wouldn't that be considered a racist remark in today's P.C. climate?

Sort of like "welsh (or welch) on a bet?

24 May, 2007 01:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home