.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Can I Throw a Towel Now?

Old Grizzly Mama has just had it. I'm over the edge and off my rocker after a day like today. The little one was pretending she doesn't know about place values and then adding the tens up before adding the ones up - even after I told her just a nanosecond before that we must not do that. She doesn't see a problem with it - it works for her. I tried to explain that we have to do it that way for a reason - a very good reason. I explained patiently that - oh Gawd! You know why! I don't have to explain it all to you, but I did to her. Then she went and started adding up the tens first.

Meanwhile the older girl is drooling and doing crazy things with her multiplying of decimals. It makes no sense what she is doing - none at all - yet she continues to do it. Well, she's not really drooling but I checked just in case because it was unbelievably asinine what she was doing. Crazy, I tell ya. Then on one of the questions for her unit assessment on Early America, a simple question, something that's been iterated over and over again since Kindergarten for God's sake, "Why did towns spring up around rivers?" Millions of reasons, really doublegood reasons, happening for millenia, it's just BASIC, can be applied to any civilization really. She responded, "It's easy to get water." Excuse me?? Not good enough - points off. I've had it.

Troll is home. It's his day off, plus he's off anyway because he had the pins in his bones removed on Friday. Before I rip the hair out of my head, I call Troll into the galley (that's what I call the kitchen, because it's not really a kitchen in the proper sense, it's more like a galley) and hiss and sputter while showing him what they've done. I threaten to get a full time job and put those girls in school where, obviously, an expert will be able to help them.

He needs to sit down with those kids and figure out what in the hell is wrong with them because I am not capable of dealing with this without acting like some kind of spittle-flecked banshee. He agrees to do it. I set up several equations and what do you think they did? Well! They did every equation perfectly, in good time, and happy as little larks. Gone was the drool. Gone was the rebellion at having to add ones before tens. Gone was the paucity of words when desribing the usefulness of rivers. I was feeling better after Troll very wisely located a stash of chilled Hershey Bars.

My kids mess with me. It's not very nice. I am just so glad that they don't do it very often...

11 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

Oh but mommy they just wanted some daddy time so they had you wrapped around there fingers to call daddy in to sit with them to watch them do there work. LOL... I am sorry that isnt funny but that is what it sounded like to me. I am glad to hear that the chocolate helped. I have a great post for tomorrow but need to see if the school is going to send home a letter today for what happened yesterday. I guess the school Kora goes to found a hate letter in one of the childrens back packs. I am not 100% sure what is going on. It was on the news last night. Will get back to you on it when I know for sure.

08 May, 2007 08:32  
Blogger Jana said...

I can SO relate to this! My kids do things like only answering questions as a particular Lego character, or deliberately giving me all the wrong answers first, or writing the answers in the air with their fingers instead of just saying them, or...

Okay, deep breath. Must go find chocolate...

08 May, 2007 08:48  
Blogger Logan said...

Kids like to test the boundaries and see how far they can push the line. Once Dad came into play they probably realized they had pushed as far as was safely possible so they stopped. Besides this way they get to make you look a tad bit crazy "Look Dad, we're behaving fine, Mom's just off her rocker". I'm the oldest of 7 kids, we did crap like that ALL the time lol.

08 May, 2007 09:42  
Blogger Gem said...

That's the way I add -- the tens first, then the ones added in! Some schools actually teach that way now, but I'm sure my kids' minds aren't as twisted as mine and I'll have to teach them the 'normal' way.

08 May, 2007 10:09  
Blogger Toad734 said...

Reason 97805045 why home schooling is bad

08 May, 2007 17:49  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

Kids just being kids, hang in there!

08 May, 2007 18:03  
Blogger tshsmom said...

OMG, I'm sorry, but I'm laughing hysterically! Tweets is right; this is a GIRL thing! All kids will yank our chain, but girls do it best with their Moms. It gets worse in their teen years...just warning you. ;)
Our daughter and I used to go 'round and 'round like that, and we didn't even homeschool her. Her Dad NEVER had a problem with her! :(
NOW, the situation is reversed. L will tell me how Z isn't cooperating with him...it's driving him NUTS! With me, Z always tries to do the best he can. Father/son relationships are just as maddening as mother/daughter relationships.

The good news is that when your girls are grown and on their own, they will probably apologize to you for being such shits. Mine did. Now she calls me all the time for advice.

08 May, 2007 18:39  
Blogger Abouna said...

Just think, sometime in the not too distant future, you will look back on all of this and laugh, and laugh, and laugh as you weave your pretty lille baskets down at the funny farm.

Hang in there kiddo, they will out grow it as they enter the next phase.

08 May, 2007 21:30  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Tweetey - yes they do love their daddy time. lol. They can have it without messing with me, though!! Sorry to hear about Kora's school. That's a shame what's happening in the public schools these days.

Jana - lol! I knew you could relate. Sometimes I look at these girls and how they're acting and - well - they're just having too damn much fun! I don't mind the silly stuff at all, in fact I start it sometimes, but this acting dumb thing. I just can't accept it. They must not understand how much work and sacrifice it is for me, how much we're doing without so that we can do this. They're kids. They're not supposed to know I guess. Thanks goodness for Big Daddy though! He saved me that day. It always gets stressful to me when we're getting down to the wire like this at the end of the school year.

Logan - I'm 7th out of 8. Lemme tell ya, being in that large of a family is a trip. How do the mothers do it?? lol! They do mess with me more than they would ever think of messing with, say, a teacher at school I'm sure.

Jema - yes! It's very important to add (or subtract) the ones first. When it comes to borrowing and carrying it'll screw you up doing it the other way. (They call it 're-grouping' now.)

Toadie - A bad day homeschooling is better than...oh nevermind. You'll never understand. I feel bad for ya, man. You're lost!

Mr GG - thank you! Grizzly's back from the edge. Ready to carry on.

Tshsmom - my older sisters say that their girls gave them more problems than anything. I had forgotten that they'd said that. It was years ago. The girlies do adore their daddy. He breathes and it's the cause for giggles and joy and outporing of love and wonderment. lol. I had to make those apologies to my mother too, now that I think of it. When I had that first baby is when I realized what she was up against - - times 8. God bless her.

Abouna - LOL! I could use a day or two of basket weaving. It would be calming. Maybe. I might get all OCD on my baskets. ;-)

Lord give us strength and direction.

09 May, 2007 23:35  
Blogger Kermit said...

The boys were easier than the girls. I called the oldest son when he turned 35 and told him that he could come out of his room now that he was no longer grounded.

I figured that he had snuck out at some point because I kept get letters from him in the 101st Airborne during Desert Storm 1.

Save the towels. You can use them later as part of a dowry.

Croakingly yours -

Kermit

23 May, 2007 09:27  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Kermit - so good to hear from you!! I have been worried - I'll be over to visit the bog soon. LOL on your son! Thanks.

09 June, 2007 00:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home