.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

New Jobs Suck

I really hate starting a new job.

I was fortunate and blessed in that I secured a position very close to home, making about the same money but without the commute, working hours that suit us and doing the job that I have had loads of experience doing.

It's the initial pissing contests that I despise. But piss, we must. As a woman working in a male dominated field, I am unfortunately not exempt from playing that game. I don't know any other way around it - other than being a smiling, silent, silly fool. That's just SO not me. Well, sometimes I am a fool and silly, but usually not smiling OR silent.


I can stand toe to toe with the worst of them, but it doesn't mean that I like doing it. I'd prefer not to, but I am rarely given the choice. They and their testosterone soaked egos just can't help themselves. So it's either stand there and take it, or give it right back and I just can't seem to help but to give it right back.

It makes for an uncomfortable orientation period, though.

Guys - here's a hint. It's okay NOT to know something, and it's also okay to know something and share that knowledge with someone else. So, why, when I ask a simple question that my current trainer didn't know the answer to, did he act like a tantrum-prone two year old and ass? All I can think is that he didn't like not knowing the answer, didn't like the idea of doing something a different way, and also doesn't like the fact that I might have a little more experience with CICS than he does. And what of the young'uns these days? The P.C. techie, windows and menu addicted next generation? Smart alecks - that's what they are! Little shits. Thinking they're the gods of computers, when what they're best at is how to navigate around pretty little pictures with the little grabby hand.

My initial weeks of training and orientation are complete - and now I have 4 nights off. Thank God! Hopefully I'll be settled into my shift and comfortably running it soon.

I just wonder where all those good guys are - like some of the guys I've been lucky enough to work with in the past. (Way past - like before I had kids past.)

12 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

Congrats on the shorter commute and good luck with the assholes!!

It's sad that the American work ethic has degenerated into a pissing contest for money and power. Whatever happened to teamwork? :(

24 May, 2009 10:10  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks Tshsmom. I think that the pissing contests that I have had to deal with in this - and my last - job has to do with male ego. It's weird. We're supposed to be past that crap in this day and age.

So, now I'm the shrew. *sigh*

25 May, 2009 00:15  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I had no idea you changed jobs. I have been out of the loop for a while studying for my new career choice.. LOL.. Take care and hopefully it gets better.

27 May, 2009 19:28  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks Tweetey - I know you've been busy! We have been, too. Craziness - both of us started new jobs after moving in January..

28 May, 2009 08:50  
Blogger Zendo Deb said...

The best revenge is to just be better than they are. Sort of required at some places, but once they realize you do know more than they do... well, watching them sulk for a day or week is always fun.

28 May, 2009 10:52  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks, Deb. Once I feel more comfortable with the job, it won't bother me as much.

28 May, 2009 21:51  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

Hope everything's working out with the new gig, just take it one day at a time, eventually your co-workers will warm up to ya.

02 June, 2009 04:24  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Oh - thanks Mr GG!

02 June, 2009 08:34  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I don't think it's always just a male-female thing. It's also and older vs. younger idiot kind of thing.

Congrats on the new job. I hope you can put up with the crap.

02 June, 2009 23:24  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

LOL - you're right, Mike. I have worked in this male dominated field for a long, long time - - and I have worked with some of the best guys that you could ever hope to work with. No ego problems there.

I hope that I can put up with the crap, too. It's close to home and pays pretty good. We'll see how it's going in a couple of months.

04 June, 2009 09:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pissing match isn't male/female, it's just accentuated by a male/female confrontation.

I'm 58, I have experienced the match at every new job, and it is usually brought on by ignorance and insecurity, two of peoples most hated conditions. Consequently, the more knowledgeable, and confident you are the more of a threat you are. Hence you become the prick/bitch to the ignorant/insecure. That's just how it is.

01 July, 2009 09:38  
Blogger billybob said...

if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

16 October, 2009 07:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home