* "reject federal authority in favor of state or local authority"
* "are dedicated to a single-issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration" (no distinction between illegal and legal immigration is made)
* "have applied for criminal background checks in order to buy weapons"
* are a "returning veteran"
* are concerned about the US Government as being "either complicit in a foreign invasion or acquiescing as part of a “One World Government” plan"
* wonder about things "such as the loss of U.S. manufacturing capability to China and India, Russia’s control of energy resources and use of these to pressure other countries, and China’s investment in U.S. real estate and corporations"
The thing that concerns me, and seems to concern others, is the general nature of the assessment. Past assessments seem to me to be more specific, naming groups, or characteristics of groups such as the KKK or the many known militias.
I looks to me as if the report (PDF file) is basically smearing half the citizens of America with the Right Wing Extremist accusation. There is a difference between questioning the federal government's authority, challenging it, debating it - and being a member of one of those crazy frigging militias. When Americans start bringing up the constitutionality of an issue, it's because we believe in defending the constitution - not because we're dangerous. We believe that we should all abide by the definitions and limits of our government as spelled out in the constitution. Why is that bad, and why does this administration believe that we are dangerous?
I'm just shocked that homeschoolers were not named in this report as being dangerously right wing. The foundation is laid - as homeschoolers were the choice of 'terrorist' groups threatening a school in an emergency preparedness drill recently. Uh-Oh. That makes me paranoid, and subject to the 'conspiracy theory' rule for being a dangerous thug, doesn't it? If I disagree with any policy - be it immigration, stem cell research, how involved the federal government should get with abortion or education - anything really, then I am subject to scrutiny by law enforcement agencies?
We all know about the militias, the neo-nazi groups, the islamist terror cells. THEY are extreme. Not the law abiding citizens who just happen to disagree with the policies of the current administration.
Maybe these guys are Right Wing Radical Extemists, too?