.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Philly philanthropy phor phamilies in need.

There are a couple of ways that Philadelphians can help the displaced citizens of New Orleans locally. My fellow Philadelphia Blonde, Ala, at Blonde Sagacity has addresses for drop off points and a list of items that are being accepted. Go there to see.

My girls are very charged up about doing something.

Only one thing bothers me. It's something my husband heard on the news today. He heard that the displaced citizens will be put ahead of resident Philadelphians who are on a waiting list for housing. They will bump the disadvantaged citizens of Philly to the back of the line. If it's true it's just not right.

I've also heard many different versions of what is actually happening. Yesterday I heard that 1,000 persons of the New Orleans persuasion had landed here and were being put up in a school. We are ready for 3,000. I heard elsewhere that we are READY for 1,000 displaced families but only 35 have taken us up on it. My heart becomes faint at the thought of calling City Hall to inquire.

As for me and my phamily - we will clean the house and shop for the shelters this weekend.

2 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

This worries me too. Our community has always been good about taking in disadvantaged families.
Our area is now in a severe economic decline. We recently took in a family from Bosnia, gave them a house, and found the father a job. There's been a lot of hard feelings over this.

11 September, 2005 09:52  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I can understand the hard feelings. When I heard that my neighbors (who need housing) would be bumped for the evacuees I felt angry.

11 September, 2005 14:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home