.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, July 29, 2005

What's on your night stand?

Zendo Deb has raised an interesting question and has invited me to answer. It's the What's on Your Nightstand? meme about personal firearms.

Before I had the girlies I always had my Ruger .357 close at hand. (Security Six) It is now locked away in the gun safe. She's awwwwful purty! And to be hidden away...*sigh*. Well - soon the girlies will be getting their shooting and gun safety lessons down at the range.

Nowadays what I have hidden beneath the bed would never fit on my nightstand. The shotgun is down there awaiting a moment when the damsel may be in distress. Yes. Yes. Yes. It has a trigger lock on it. God forbid I ever have to use it.

Thank God we live in America - every day now - where it is legal for us to own firearms for the defense of our families and ourselves.

I DO keep extra shotgun shells actually ON the nightstand. Along with about a years worth of the Weekly Standard.

I'll have to think of who to tag - and when I do I will post an update.

14 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

My ex and I (and now he obviously has them since I live here in the U.K.)have a "home protector" a beautiful pump. I love the cha-chuck sound it makes, highly recognizable. I also had a beautiful .38, that was made especially for the NYPD-Narc Squad, and a .22, nice and light, that shot hollow-tip points.

Both of us, having been in the military knew how to shoot, and take care of said weapons.

We had these because there was no 911 when and where we lived up in Maine.

I always figured that if anyone could get past our dog, the sound of the pump would pretty well stop them in their tracks. Course if not, I always made sure it was loaded and within reach.

29 July, 2005 07:13  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Alicenot - I lived in Maine for a couple of years when I was young. My mother is a Maine native so I still have family up there. Love to visit and wish I could go 'down east' more often.

Even with 911 - there is no guarantee that police will arrive in time to protect you. The right to protect oneself is a given in the US and it's too bad that not very many countries recognize that right.

It's kind of funny - when I applied for my concealed carry permit the Sheriff was a bit patronizing and questioned my ability to handle a handgun. It wasn't until I explained that I am a veteran and enjoyed going to the range to shoot quite often that he backed off. He didn't put my husband through that rigamarole when he went for HIS permit. Harumph!

29 July, 2005 09:16  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Never heard of EAA - but I'm not 'up' on things....

They guy who took me shopping for my very first gun (my Ruger) loved a SIG Sauer.

30 July, 2005 20:22  
Blogger City Troll said...

Whats on my nightstand? The TV remote!

didja go to my site yet?

30 July, 2005 21:37  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

You a gun-owner, Skye?

30 July, 2005 22:43  
Blogger Dani Kekoa said...

Way to go Monica!

Sitting in my night stand is the clip to my .380 Bersa with the gun nearby ready to be loaded. Also sitting in my nightstand are the shells to my 12-guage Winchester Defender Shotgun which is sitting in the closet ready for action!

30 July, 2005 23:52  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Good girl, Dani. :-)

30 July, 2005 23:56  
Blogger Gina said...

I used to have a 9 millmeter under my bed ... ask me what happened to it ... too long a story to add on here ...

31 July, 2005 09:05  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Now I HAVE to know! Do tell...

31 July, 2005 12:23  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Oh ho!

31 July, 2005 22:19  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I miss the five shot semi automatic 16 gauge shotgun I used to keep when I lived in the country. One day I'm going to inherit a small arsenal from my father, I'll have to move back to the country to enjoy shooting them.

When I was growing up we used a shell loader to reuse our shells.

02 August, 2005 00:02  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Lucky you, Mike!

I know a couple of people who have reloaders - we don't - we just don't have the time!!

Maybe after the girls grow up and I'm old.

02 August, 2005 01:19  
Blogger Toad734 said...

Wow, you must be really paranoid or live in a really shitty neighborhood.

03 August, 2005 14:24  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Toady! Tell me you don't own any firearms?!

One doesn't have to be paranoid OR live in a bad neighborhood to exercise ones right to bear arms.

Can you digest that?

04 August, 2005 00:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home