.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Sunday, September 06, 2009

Project 2996

I have signed up again this year to provide a tribute to one of the victims of 9/11. In 2006, DCRoe organized a massive blogburst - and more than 3,000 bloggers participated by each posting a tribute to the life of one of the victims of 9/11. They are doing it again this year. I encourage you to sign up. It was a great experience for me last time - very emotional but it is a way to connect with the fact that the people who died were innocent people whose death affected many who knew and loved them. The catch is: your tribute must celebrate their life. So far about 700 people have signed up - you can too!

I feel particularly compelled to do this now - as Van Jones has indicated his wish to make 9/11 a 'national day of service' celebration or something ridiculous like that. Van Jones, a card carrying member of communist associated groups (STORM, CCDS), also apparently signed a 9/11 Truther petition several years ago. (I see that Van Jones has resigned??)

Anyhoo - enough about that little Marxist. See what follows - an image of the new 'Arms of Project 2996' and the background on it.



Arms:
Per Pale Sanguine and Argent, a Zinnia ensigned in Chief by four Mullets in Fess enarched all counterchanged

Crest:
From a torse of the colors and issuant out of flames a Bald Eagle displayed Proper

Motto:
SEMPER (Always)

Herald (Designed by):
Sandy Turnbull

Artist:
Terry Sarros

The Story
When I decided that Project2996 needed some sort of logo I wanted something a little more dignified than a standard graphic design. I’ve been a fan of heraldry for many years, and recently have become an student of the field, it seemed a natural fit.

The Zinnia is a flower with a very specific connection to 9/11. Zoe and Dana Falkenberg were two of the youngest victims, and their surviving family has asked that people plant Zinnias (Zoe’s favorite flower) as a remembrance. My better half remembered Zoe, during the very first year of 2,996, and we have several Zinnias in our front yard to remember Zoe and her little sister. The four stars above the zinnia represent the four planes and four crash sites of 9/11. The coloring scheme where the shiled is divided into two colors with the charges inverted is called counterchanging, and is used to represent the stark change our country and world went through.


HT Always On Watch.
My tribute from 2006: I remember James Roux.

Link

4 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

Goose bumps and tears filled my face as I read this little bit about the girls. Glad to hear you are doing it again. I have quite a bit on my plate right now. Check out the photo's of the house when you get a minute.

08 September, 2009 12:26  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I cried too when I read about Zoe and Dana and that zinnias.

I will be over to see you soon!

08 September, 2009 12:33  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Thanks for spreading the word, Monica.

I'm worried that some names will go unassigned.

09 September, 2009 07:38  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I am worried too. I see that over 1,000 names have been assigned as of yesterday.

09 September, 2009 09:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home