.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Mrs. Bad Example

Here is my Simpson's Avatar. She's got a twitchy eye.



My eye is twitching because I have been a maniac attempting to keep the place spotless for showings. As you probably know, we recently put our house on the market. This action has impressed upon me the importance of decluttering and dusting. I was doing quite well until 2 days ago. That's when my bathroom sink was on the newly cleaned carpet of my newly cleaned master bedroom awaiting a cold water stem and a special piece of metal that would secure the pedestal sink bowl securely to the wall of the bathroom. Apparently the cold water stem that we needed can't be found in any Home Depot and very few hardware stores. We found the part we needed in an Ace Hardware store in Aston, PA. Good Neighbor Leftist was able to fashion the piece of metal to secure the sink from a piece of metal found in Troll's toolbox.

Meanwhile, I am tackling the closets. It is not for the faint of heart. We have 10 years of crap in those closets and Troll is a pack rat. He's sick, man, sick. I have had to enlist the assistance of my Mother In Law to deal with his insanity in the basement and garage. He gets mean and it doesn't faze MIL - - she just threatens him with a broom until he throws the broken stuff away. I'm too tired to do that crap.

The girls are wonderful and actually very long suffering throughout this ordeal. Enter Grizzly Mama - the Mrs. Bad Example of the title of this entry. We as parents sometimes forget that the little ones are watching every single thing we do. They don't forget and the worst part (sometimes) is that they will emulate the parent. Not a good idea lately. I have been cussing entirely too much. I am unhappy and worried and bloated and PMS'ing much too often due to the little 'change' that we all know happens to women of my age. It sucks.

I have decided that there is a very good reason that my house is dusty and cluttered. Here it is: I would rather enjoy spending time with my kids reading and talking and finding answers to burning questions and sitting out on the porch b.s.ing with the neighbor moms while the kids play and have a good time. It's just not WORTH it to stress about the frigging dust. My God! One could dust every single day and the next day the frigging dust is there again. It just doesn't stay un-dusty. One could find it a full time job secretly throwing away Troll's insane, broken keepings in the basement, closets and garage. As if it's not a full enough time job keeping the kids cleaned, fed and in clean clothes with clean beds and getting that curriculum done and running them to all the activities that they are involved in and getting them settled at night at fairly the same time or so.

I would rather have a dusty, cluttered house than have this clean, spotless, and shining, uncluttered house and the effort it takes to keep it that way leaving me as Mrs. Bad Example.

I know it has to be done. Those closets are going to need to be cleaned out and that crap in the basement needs to be gone through, sorted, thrown out and stored again. We can't move all that crap. It would be crazy.

*twitch*

13 Comments:

Blogger Abouna said...

Such is life, but then a dusty house can have character and a sense of being lived in. I have been in some homes that were so clean, they looked sterile and I was afraid to move for fear of contaminating something.

Moving is a bummer when one has to clean the collected clutter. Wait until Troll has to go some where and then quickly toss the junk. If he says any thing, just tell him his mom did it (Oh how dishonest, my bad).

This should make you feel better about the dust, especially if it is "dust bunnies" under the bed:

Little Sally learned, in her Sunday School class, the story of how God made man from the dust of the earth, and how when we die, we will return to dust. After she got home, Sally was looking under her bed for her sneakers and saw some dust bunnies. She ran down stairs to her mother, who was making lunch, and said: "Mom, I just saw some people under my bed, but I can't tell if they are coming or going."

29 July, 2007 22:23  
Blogger Ca... said...

Boy, does your post sound familiar! I know how you feel about dusting, cleaning, etc and etc. It ain't fun! When mi espousa (a little mex lingo there) Donna and I decide to retire to a nursing home, assisted living establishment, child's spare room or another etc, I think I'll do it the same way I did my shoulder and my hip replacement procedures. Just before I went under the knife, doctor said, "Look here and I'll show you what we are going to do." Visions of everything but sugar-plums flashed through my head and I told doc that I'd rather not see the gory details; just get a good night's rest, put me to sleep and 'wake me when it's over,' and that's what he did and it worked out great.
When the buyers, movers and other etc's come to clean, pack and, you guessed it, 'etc,' I intend to tell them the same, i.e., "Do whatever you need to do then find my motel room and 'wake me when it's over'." I don't think I could stand getting rid of all my closet stuff that I haven't been able to get rid of for 20 some odd years because I either love it too much (whatever it is) or I might need it someday." Famous last words.
I hope this has helped. 'chuckle'

30 July, 2007 09:35  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Wow. Sounds like you need a vacation with all this stuff going on. Thanks for your support here with our decision with Kora though. I really appreciate it. It means the world to me.

30 July, 2007 12:28  
Blogger tshsmom said...

"I would rather have a dusty, cluttered house than have this clean, spotless, and shining, uncluttered house and the effort it takes to keep it that way leaving me as Mrs. Bad Example."
I hear ya!! Dusting doesn't make it to the top of the priority list very often. Let's face it; our families LIVE and LOVE in our homes!
Once the house sells, you can go back to being dusty and HAPPY! ;)

30 July, 2007 15:43  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Abouna - I like the dust bunny story - thanks! My house is never filthy, but dusting isn't usually one of my top priorities. Going through all this stuff that Troll hoards is a good thing to do, it's quite daunting though. I also know a couple of people who have spotless houses and I never feel all the way comfy at their places.

CA - LOL. Thanks. Yes I would just like to go to sleep for a couple of months and wake up in a new house. Moving is SO much work. Troll has kept so many things that he 'might need someday' that he doesn't even know what he has! He's doing good though. Getting rid of a lot of stuff.

Oh Tweetey, thank you. You know what your girls need better than anyone and you and your husband - more than anyone - both want the absolute best for them. No one else in the world cares more than you care. There is so much support out there for you to find everything that you need. I wish you the absolute best and most important - ENJOY! Enjoy your kids, they will be grown up soon. Not every day is roses and sunshine, but all in all it's pretty damn good. I got another closet cleaned out today. How did we ever manage to get that much crap into that tiny little closet??!! :-)

Thanks tshsmom! We have more people looking at it tomorrow - so lets hope that it sells soon!! Then I can get back to my dusty ways. lol!

30 July, 2007 23:48  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

Ebay is the perfect solution for packrat sufferers.

31 July, 2007 01:50  
Blogger atheling2 said...

Monica,

The myth of Sisyphus is about housework, I'm sure of it!

Don't forget to throw a koran in the toilet while you're cleaning! ;)

31 July, 2007 10:35  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

You sound like us. You should have seen the stuff I got rid of when we moved into the house from the Apt we had. I mean after 11 years together I think I got him to finally part with some stuff but not much. I got rid of toys galore because they were just to big for them. Clothes up the butt and oh brother.

31 July, 2007 10:43  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Mr. GG - I have actually sold many things on ebay. The only problem that I had was keeping the inventory straight, having a place for it until it sold, and I really HATE dealing with Paypal. I started because I saw someone throwing some really beautiful, old books in the trash. (can you believe? In the trash?!) I couldn't bear to leave them out there in that box to be rained on. So - for now getting Troll to trash the broken stuff is making me happy. I don't mind saving good stuff - - but broken stuff? Forget it. lol.

Atheling - good to see you back. You were missed! The myth of Sisyphus and rolling that boulder up that hill only to have to do it again and again is a very apt description of dusting!
I am very upset about this guy at Pace being charged with a felony for putting a koran in the toilet. Beside myself! We need to have a 'flush in'.

Oh Tweetey - with the kids it's almost a nightmare. I had, like, one frigging toy growing up. My kids have got so many toys they have no idea what's at the bottom of the toyboxes anymore. And the clothes! I know just what you mean. Then - I can't get rid of things while they are around because they cannot let go of things, either. So I end up cleaning it all out twice a year while they are spending the night at mom-moms. I managed to get rid of a LOT of stuff in decluttering to get the house ready for sale, though. Monumental job. ugh.

31 July, 2007 23:35  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I shudder at the prospect of having to "declutter."

And of course the minute you throw something out is when you need it and have to go and buy another one.

Good luck!

01 August, 2007 03:04  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

It's hell, Mike. But I'm D*O*N*E !!! Today I got the last, and worst, of the closets done. Man. I found a stack of Weekly Standards from 1998 in that last closet. Unreal. It feels good to have it done. I've been bothered by those closets for several years now.

01 August, 2007 23:44  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Monica I e-mailed you back about the book when you get a minute unless you found the e-mail. LOL.. Thanks again. Glad you are done with the closet though. Those are chores when you know whats in them but no one wants to get rid of anything.

02 August, 2007 11:49  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Tweetey - I still haven't made it to the post office. I will get it mailed out by end of next week. Sorry so long. Things are totally whacky here...

09 August, 2007 00:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home