.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Aesop's Fable Friday

The Archer and the Lion

An archer went up into the hills to have some sport with his bow, and all the animals fled at the sight of him with the exception of the Lion, who stayed behind and challenged him to fight.

The Archer shot an arrow at the Lion and hit him, and said, "There, you see what my messenger can do: just you wait a moment and I'll tackle you myself."

The Lion, however, when he felt the sting of the arrow, ran away as fast as his legs could carry him.

A Fox, who had seen it all happen, said to the Lion, "Come, don't be a coward: why don't you stay and fight?"

But the Lion replied, "You won't get me to stay, not you: why, when he sends a messenger like that before him, he must himself be terrible to deal with."

Moral of the story: Give a wide berth to those who can do damage at a distance.

(Which reminds me of those cool remote controlled bombing drones that we are making use of in the theatre of war...)

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike's America said...

I was thinking of the September 11th attacks but your example is better.

27 July, 2007 23:53  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Yes Mike - remember *WE* are the archers, not the lion!!

28 July, 2007 00:56  
Blogger Mr. Grey Ghost said...

Yeah, I like this story, says a lot. Of course, I had to read it twice to figure out who the fox is.

28 July, 2007 02:18  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...



Moral of the story: Give a wide berth to those who can do damage at a distance.


Hmmm...I'm not quite sure what...but I think you could draw an entirely different moral to this story, as well.

04 August, 2007 18:36  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Wordsmith - I have been surprised by the moral of the story in many of the fables. Many times I have come away with something totally different.

Not sure what on this one either...

07 August, 2007 00:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home