.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grizzly Mama

There's a Grizzly who has escaped the City of Brotherly Love..(and she's going back to homeschooling!!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Out of Philly, Pennsylvania, United States

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth." Aristotle - Greek Philosopher.

Friday, June 01, 2007

Aesop's Fable Friday

The Lamb Chased by a Wolf

A Wolf was chasing a Lamb, which took refuge in a temple. The Wolf urged it to come out, and said, "If you don't, the priest is sure to catch you and offer you up in sacrifice on the altar." To which the Lamb replied, "Thanks, but I think I'll stay where I am: I'd rather be sacrificed any day than be eaten up by a Wolf!"


Moral of the story: Advice from the greedy is best ignored.



My girls are water rats - swim practice started Tuesday for the summer swim team. An hour of laps every single day. Those girls are tired at the end of the day! We've been full steam on school as well - finishing up Math, Science and History for the 1st grader - Math, Science, Grammar, Vocabulary, Composition, Literature, for the 5th grader. The little one has two days of Phonics and Language Arts left and the older one has 2 days of History and Spelling left. Wooooo-doggy! We've all been busting our butts.

I always enjoy the girls' lessons - especially history as my experience of it in school was very dry and boring. History is actually quite fascinating - did you know that?! lol. We're finishing up the year with the Civil War for the 5th grader. We've been using A History of the US, by Joy Hakim, all year. Not at all dry OR boring. Both girls have enjoyed listening to the chapters being read out loud..by yours truly. When I had too much laundry to fold, or needed to be tending the grilled cheese sandwiches, the older would read aloud. This set of books lands squarely in the 'Recommended by Grizzly' column.


This summer we will be fleshing out the Civil War aspect of US History by watching the PBS Civil War DVD 5 pack, which both Troll and I agree has to be one of the best uses of the media EVER! We were lucky enough to get this set from his sister as a Christmas present and YES, it was on our list!

Well - we have a couple of days off. Fun in the sun, with some house work/yard work thrown in for a dash of excitement. Have a great weekend!

13 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

I think History in our public schools is what saddens me the most about the system! I've always loved History, and never understood why teachers can't make the subject interesting.

Our family is totally stoked about a fantastic history book I found at Barnes and Noble last weekend! I'll be posting about it sometime soon. ;)

03 June, 2007 08:55  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Yes - please let us know!

I agree about the way public school handles history. It is a shame. I must have had bad teachers. Troll had one teacher who brought history alive for him and it's stayed with him ever since.

03 June, 2007 12:06  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

One book that I have as a contrast to Howard Zinn's A People's History to the United States is Larry Schweikart and Michael Allen's Patriot's History of the United States. I also have Schweikart's America's Victories.

04 June, 2007 00:55  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

I'm going to check out those books by Joy Hakim

One of my favorite reference books for American history: The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History.

04 June, 2007 07:48  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I liked history but you are right when all you do is sit in the classroom in a public school system and read out loud its not as fun. I liked your fable. That is good advice.

04 June, 2007 12:06  
Blogger Skye said...

IVC this Wednesday?

Let me know.

1776 is a must read for those interested in early American history.

04 June, 2007 22:13  
Blogger Mike's America said...

Surely this fable is about Bill Clinton.

05 June, 2007 03:14  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you Wordsmith - I will check them all out!

AOW - I have made a point of leaving my P.I.G. to American History where the kids will pick it up and start reading. I really liked the book, too. I also have the P.I.G. to Islam. There are many P.I.G.s and I want all of them!

Thank you Tweetey!

Skye - I emailed you about IVC. I can't believe that I haven't read 1776. Right now I'm reading some historical fiction about the Vikings conquering of Britain. I'll review it soon on the blog and I think 1776 just might be my next read.

Mike - you know, many of the fables seem to apply to Clinton! lol.

05 June, 2007 22:16  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

It's so good that you've got them skilled in the water! Swimming is such an important safety-lesson. Are they big enough to take the Lifesaving class yet? As you probably know, drowning is one of the most common causes of death among kids under 16, and the second most common cause of death for all children in the United States under 14.
Also swimming builds really great endurance muscles that last a lifetime.

06 June, 2007 11:45  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Dirtcrashr - swimming is a very important skill! They haven't taken lifesaving classes yet - - I'll have to start looking into that. The 10 y/old might be getting close to it. I vaguely remember taking many lifesaving classes as a kid. I have a stack of cards somewhere showing which ones...I wonder where they are now?

07 June, 2007 00:17  
Blogger Skye said...

Monica,

It was a pleasure to meet up with you and Patrick last night.

I've posted the photo from the event and a recap of the night on ANCORA IMPARO>

You have to see the video of Joe demonstrating his Tai Chi moves.

Thursday, July 19th is the annual IVC BBQ. I might be able to squeeze this in during my lunch break. You and Troll are both welcome to attend.

07 June, 2007 22:34  
Blogger Skye said...

Ancora Imparo

07 June, 2007 22:35  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Great Skye! Wonderful entry - I'm putting that pic up with a link. We had a really great time even though we were too late for the food.

We met some really nice people - it was a pleasure spending time with them.

07 June, 2007 23:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home